1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Firewire soundcard compatibility with macbook pro

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by dj.nick.c, May 1, 2010.

1. dj.nick.c

dj.nick.c TRIBE Member

I've been using my M-Audio Firewire 4/10 soundcard with my PC desktop for years. Now that I have the macbook pro, I want to be able to use the card with my laptop as well. The soundcard has 2 firewire ports so I figure it'd be as simple as plug and play (after installing the proper drivers, of course). There is no signal going from the mbp to the soundcard. I've adjusted the audio setting on the mbp to be using the 4/10 from audio input and output.

anyone else have this trouble. I've read online a bunch of negative reviews for using mac with m-audio cards. what is the preferred soundcard these days? I've heard good things about the presonus audiobox USB.

any advice will help, thanks.

peace.

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i recently sold mine and helped set it up on the macbook. apparently i am not the shit though, because it took a while. we had the same problem. it seemed that there was a meticulous sequence of events that had to occur for the drivers to be installed properly. for one thing, the soundcard had to be 'on' before the macbook was on. then it appeared to load up the drivers. unfortunately, it took a couple of reinstlalls before we were successful. we got the most recent drivers off the site. dont forget to cover all the basics such as making your sound preferences 'maudio410' instead of 'built-in' etc. try reinstalling if you haven't already

3. dj.nick.c

dj.nick.c TRIBE Member

after trying a few different configurations and sequences, I've got it figured out now. It's a little finicky but it works. thanks for your advice.

4. Borzoo

Borzoo TRIBE Member

on an M-AUDIO Ozonic, took a while to figure it out after I switched from PC to Mac. but the bigger issue was trying to use it on windows running on bootcamp on mac! after spending days trying to fix the issue I found out it's a driver thing and M-Audio simply refuses to come up with a driver for its firewire sound cards for people who want to run windows on mac...

5. knoledgebass

knoledgebass TRIBE Promoter

I'm in the same boat here - moving from PC to mac book pro - and i just found out that Firewire cable for PC seems to be really different then the mac version... does this mean i just need an adaptor or is there a specific cable i need to buy?

6. Borzoo

Borzoo TRIBE Member

you just need a new cable