• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

FINGERS - Blackmarket - Wallace Studios

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
ha ha ha ha ha
ow.
ow.
ow.
fuck that was fun.
relentless, driving, perfection.

Robert Owen just pounded us and Larry Heard made us say WHAAAAAAT?

i'm sorry - WHAAAAAAAT?
wicked night. i'm gonna be in rough shape for Diz.

ow. more sleep... more sleep... better review later.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
other than the fact that both larry & robert played a bit 'tougher' than i had hoped they would and the fact that the turnout was a bit lighter than i had expected (it's safe to say the venue move affected numbers a little bit) overall it was a great performance. what can you say about robert owens performing LIVE vocals that hasn't already been said? WOW. also enjoyed nick's opening set and it was nice seeing trini hop up on the one's and two's for a brief deep opening set as well.

two thumbs up! ;)

d

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
Robert Owens dj set literally LIT THE SPEAKERS ON FIRE!!!

I noticed a glowing ring around the JBL cones when the bass was hittin'.

Then the smoke was flowing. Muthafuckin bin was on fiyah!!!

Grabbed someone and they had it solved real quick.

Wild space!! Like 99 sudbury BUT CLEANER (and better?)

Coulda worn my new Dalek shoes if I knew it was gonna be spotless.

Danced like a fuckin maniac all night.

Bring Down the Walls LIVE sent tingles up my back.

Larry Heard was pumpin it out. I was afraid he might go too deep house for me, but he kept it more my style.

Only saw a handful of people I know, but I'm not the biggest house head so I don't expect to see to many.

danced from 12:30 straight until 5am. left when I Feel Love was dropped.

Made a mess on the way home.

Now lets see if Eric, Wes, Justin, Dave and Irving can top it at the OTHER film studio!!!

Destro

deevah

TRIBE Member
i'm still upset i didn't get to catch this but good to hear they were sick

i hope y'all shook a little ass for me

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

T

TRIBE Member
great night, amazing venue. Blackmarket puts on some awesome shows, and this night was no different. Thnx Rene n Carl!

s1k

TRIBE Member
wicked wicked legendary party. i can't believe the relatively low turn out given the rarity of this night. more dancing room for me.

the sound was sooo good, roberts voice was awsome but larry heard just took it up a notch. and he was singing! larry was singing....my life is complete.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
AAAAAAAAAAH!
What a fuckin wicked night. I wasn't sure what to expect... actually, I was expecting for the whole night to be the deeper house stuff that Nick was spinning at first - I was gearing down for a low-key night when suddenly a thump kicked in. We were all sitting around in the back of this big white room (that curved wall is über-cool... made you think the whole space would make for a good Tony Hawk level) and the music suddenly just cut straight through us.

We all looked up and Robert Owen was on deck... it was nothing but ass-shakin heart-lifting groove for the rest of the night. CLASSIC. CLASSIC CLASSIC CLASSIC. CLASSIC!

Two tracks in and my eye is distracted by a spark.
spark spark - eurm... is the speaker on fire?
WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Oh this is the sort of night we're going to have... alright... BURN MOTHERFUCKER!

Nothing but a sea of smiles. Everyone was in such a great mood, goofing off, jumpin around...

A REJUVENATING night.

Larry Heard took it and spun it around. I fell into a trance for 2 hours and resurfaced at 5am dancing like a maniac and flirting ferociously with a hottie.

House does funny things to me. damn.

Great space, can't wait for the word to get 'round. About a $13 cab ride from downtown. Wallace got pretty full after the bars closed I guess. I wasn't really paying attention to the back of the room... Everytime I left the dancefloor for a drink or a pee I felt like I was doing something wrong and I should just hold it in for the rest of the night (bathrooms were few but clean and only a line-up for the boys!). must... stay... on... dancefloor... ow...

Old school Fingers made for an old school night. Everytime someone at FW on Saturday asked how Fingers was, I got a huge smile on my face and started jumping around.

AHHH! DID SOMEONE RECORD THAT?
I'd settle for a track list - CLASSIC.

Insatiable1

TRIBE Member
Wow, what an amazing night!!! Although attendance was a little bit low, I really didn’t care because musically I was in heaven!!! To hear Robert Owens sing live was such a treat (I’m still smiling :D). There was plenty of room to get my groove on and that is exactly what I did!! !

I absolutely LOVED the venue (so fresh and clean – what a nice change!). I hope to see this place used more often.

The only complaint I have is that it was advertised to be $15 early and $20 late. I arrived around 12:30 and had to pay $20. Really, if I had gotten there any earlier they probably would have been still setting up (there was only a handful of people there at that point). My issue is NOT the $20 cover (because really it was worth every cent), but the fact that they advertise one thing and do something else (and this is not the first time Blackmarket has done this). If you are going to charge $20 say $20, why even advertise the $15 cover??? Other than that, Blackmarket did a phenomenal job, and it’s a shame that a lot of people missed out on an amazing night.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
s1k said:
i repeat: larry heard grabbed the mic and was singing!!
and then they told him that if he wanted the sound to be good he had to go around the booth and onto a little stage area... he was like, "um, no."

Robert Owen didn't have the same problem with putting on a show. ;)

lilnick

TRIBE Member
It's all been said but...

Got there around 11:30 and they were just finishing setting up. The music was playing but you could barely hear it as you entered the venue - a good thing since this place is surrounded by residential housing! A quick pat down, $20 cover, friendly staff explaining the layout of the venue and we were set. Figured the one urinal and stall in the guy’s bathroom could be an issue later in the night - but it wasn't. Checked our coats and went to open this door to enter the main room. WOW! High ceilings, with floors and walls never meeting as they were joined by one continuous curve. The whole room was painted white. One simple white light at the back of the room, one white spot pointed on a mirror ball halfway down, with the bar area off to one side, and a huge sound system and stage set up at the back of the room, flooded in nice warm orange and pink lighting... Nick Holder was up playing some nice grooving house and despite the concrete floors and walls the sound was crisp and the bass was solid. Very few people were there but by 2:00 in the morning it had filled to a nice comfortable size... By that point someone else had been spinning for a while (apparently Ron Trent) but he really didn't inspire many of our crew... In fact we went to the back to sit down. It was nice deep house but it just didn't fit the time of the night. Then... THUMP... Robert Owens had taken over and it was non-stop dancing the rest of the night!

He played a track or two and used the mic to introduce himself and Larry Heard. No sooner than he said that they would play some music and sing a few songs for us, one of the speakers caught fire! This guy Tom turned to me... "How good a DJ do you have to be to set a speaker on fire?!?!?" You think you've seen everything but there's always firsts for something! BlackMarket peeps were on top of it, the fire was out, and I never really noticed a changed in the sound... It was just going to be one of those nights... Can you feel it?

Owens was swaying away and waving his arms above his head as he worked the crowd... An orange flood light lit up the DJ booth and cast a 20 foot high silhouette of him on the back wall. Larry Heard eventually took over and Owens came out onto the stage in front of the turntables to sing a while. The music didn't let up... just pure shaking feel good house. I’ve never got off on that Crystal Waters track though!! La Da Dee La Da Da... URGH!

Anyway Larry Heard kept most people moving... there were even people spinning on their backs, dancing on the tips of their toes and doing handstands! Been a while since I'd seen craziness like that on the dancefloor. I was at the bar when I suddenly found myself standing next to Robert Owens... He was kind enough to chat for a few minutes, recommend a couple bars to check out for an upcoming trip to England, and he mentioned that it was a really nice crowd. He has such an infectious smile.

Come 5:00am I was running out of energy and the music was heading deeper again... Isolee's "Beau Mont Plage" was the last track that got my feet moving before I had to sit and just listen for a while... then we had to pack it in. Wish I could have held out to the end but I'd got my fix and this has got to be one of the best events in a long time.

Thanks to everyone that organized and worked the event, the DJs, all the friendly faces for a special night out. :)

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
it was a really fun night! almost slept on this one (literally). but thanks to rod and slurry for getting me out. saw ALOT of old school house heads come out of the woodwork for this one. great friendly vibe, beautiful space, and some lovely ladies in the house. the music was a bit across the map, but i actually really dug larry heard's techier and tougher stuff. i think it's great that he can step outside the mold that so many put him in.

only thing that could be improved was the sound during the live pa could have been alot louder with some compression on the vocals, but that just made me step closer to the stage anyways, so it was all good. didn't even know about the speaker fire until hearing about it the next day, so that shows you how on top of things the black market folks are. a seemless and solid night which was spent non-stop on the dancefloor, so that speaks volumes.

hali thumbs ups!

s1k

TRIBE Member
no one took pics? that room was photgrapher heaven...wicked fusia colours on white walls, nice shadows. shame.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
mariazmess said:
i'd like to bring the pic thing back up - anyone? anyone?
took a few on the camera phone but quality wouldn't do these house legends justice.

d

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
I got me film cleaned today...

Nuff pictures of Robert Owens bringing down the walls. One of Mr Heard. A good crowd shot too.

I will scan them, someone pm if they want em

(to post?)

Destro