• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

finding a place to work out .....

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member
ok...now i know none of you want new people at your gym....
but since i moved to toronto, i've been looking for a place to workout...and after reading the thread where everyone agreed that they don't want new people coming to their gym...i started thinking.....

i'm in the bloor/st. george area, and i'm at a loss as to where i should go....how much these places will cost.... blah blah blah

any suggestions? and how much should i look at spending...also if any one knows of a place that is open late (24h) that would be cool too

thanks in adavance :D

pb

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
24 hour places are hard to come by.

The most obvious choice for you would be -------.

...but I don't want new people at my already cramped gym either.

The amount that you spend should be whatever you want. You can find a gym as low as $30 a month to as much as $100 a month.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I know there's a Goodlife up at Bay & Bloor.

I'm signed up with Goodlife, although the one I usually hit is at Queen & McCaul.

The gym isn't too bad, but the main reason I'm with them is because I get the sweetest deal on a membership through my mom's teacher's union. Under $300 for the whole year (less than half what I would be paying if I was on dues!! :eek: ).

The one I go to isn't overpacked either (thankfully!), although I have yet to experience the full brunt of the new years resolution crowd who will probably start showing up today.

Pete

Jennika

TRIBE Member
Trainers at Bathurst and Bloor was great for me. something like $35 a month. no pool or frills but good machines and not too busy

there's also Ballys at Bloor and Bay, it was fancier than trainers but a lot more $$$

I switched from Ballys to Trainers, but I would check both out

also, you can look into the U of T athletics centre at Harbour and Spadina. the only option in the area that I know of that has a pool.

:)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious
The most obvious choice for you would be -------.

...but I don't want new people at my already cramped gym either.

Oh c'mon. :p

you think a couple of people who will probably not even be going at the same time as you is going to make that big a difference?

or is it more that you don't want to provide free advertising for a gym that has already saturated it's membership yet continues to accept new people?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic

or is it more that you don't want to provide free advertising for a gym that has already saturated it's membership yet continues to accept new people?

BINGO

Doesn't matter anyway. It's the same gym as you :p

I go to the manulife location cuz it's close to my work. The place is already the smallest Goodlife location that i've been to, and there are only around 5 treadmills and I usually have to wait to use one.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
That Goodlife is weird... I was going there for a while when I was working elsewhere and that was the most convenient location, but even when it was "quieter", I still found myself waiting for shit a lot of the time.

It's such a strange setup... a whole bunch of tiny rooms with differerent equipment in them. Feels almost like they converted a doctor's office into a gym or something. Sucks that there's such a shortage of equipment there. You should head down to the Queen/McCaul one if it's at all convenient for you. I usually go on my lunch (12:30-1:30, which is one of the peak times) and I rarely run into waiting issues. I've even been after work, a little after 5, and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Of course... it's quite a way's away from the Bay/Bloor location.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Now that I'm starting to do more cardio, I hope I don't run into the problem of waiting for a machine.

I went last night after work to the Yonge/Finch location and I was fine, no waiting at all at just before 5pm.

But when it comes to weights, I hate waiting for the goofball talking to his buddy about the chick he almost banged on the weekend.

I recommend Bally's as you can use all their locations for the price of one. But they're pricey, as I have a corporate rate for the year to Bally's and a few Sports Clubs of Canada.

pr0nstar :D

littlenutty

TRIBE Member
LOL.... its true.... i used to go to ballys but it was waaaaay too pricey.... almost $60 a month... so I quit that... then I joined the YMCA in the yonge and wellesley area.... and that was cheaper about $35 a month and it was super huge and they had everything you could think of.... but is was soooo packed!! At the times I used to go after work every machine was in use and you had to put your name on a list to use a machine for your allocated 15 mins.... it was retarded... i hated it... so now i go to yonge st fitness... and it's true i don't want more people to join cuz then it'd be cramped.... but the hours aren't very good and its a very basic gym.... $50 a month though with an initiation fee which is sucky... but all i need are the basics so it works for me...

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
That Goodlife is weird... I was going there for a while when I was working elsewhere and that was the most convenient location, but even when it was "quieter", I still found myself waiting for shit a lot of the time.

It's such a strange setup... a whole bunch of tiny rooms with differerent equipment in them. Feels almost like they converted a doctor's office into a gym or something. Sucks that there's such a shortage of equipment there. You should head down to the Queen/McCaul one if it's at all convenient for you. I usually go on my lunch (12:30-1:30, which is one of the peak times) and I rarely run into waiting issues. I've even been after work, a little after 5, and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Of course... it's quite a way's away from the Bay/Bloor location.

Yeah I know what you mean. It seems really cramped at times. I used to go to the Eaton Centre location but I couldn't get over how filthy it was.

How do you squeeze a workout into an hour lunch break?

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I work out at the Lennox Lewis club at Yonge and St. Clair - LifeSport Fitness. I love it. The hours aren't extensive though, and the gym is small. But membership is capped, and I never wait for a machine.

I pay a corporate rate of $48/month, but regular price is close to $100. that includes towel service, and fitness assessments/new program design every 8 weeks.

I know there are several other gyms in the city, but I'm not sure where, exactly. But I highly recommend.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I work out at the Lennox Lewis club at Yonge and St. Clair - LifeSport Fitness. I love it. The hours aren't extensive though, and the gym is small. But membership is capped, and I never wait for a machine.

I pay a corporate rate of $48/month, but regular price is close to $100. that includes towel service, and fitness assessments/new program design every 8 weeks.

I know there are several other gyms in the city, but I'm not sure where, exactly. But I highly recommend.

Theres one at Empress Walk across from the North York Centre. They offered me the student rate of $70 a month.

WTF kind of student do they think I am?!

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Gyms are too much these days.

I remember with Premier, before it was Premier Curzons, it was only $30 a month. Now you'd be lucky to get a membership for $50 a month.

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member
thanks everyone....
i guess my big thing is figuring out how much to pay a month....i used to have a gym at the bottom of my old condo....but now that i've moved, i don't have that luxury anymore :(

but thanks again :)

labRat

TRIBE Member
thankfully with work discount and benefits i get to pay a whopping $70 / YEAR.

minus the tax i pay on the benefit portion. which turns out to be maybe about $50.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Theres one at Empress Walk across from the North York Centre. They offered me the student rate of $70 a month.

WTF kind of student do they think I am?!

Did you haggle with them a bit?
When I went across the street to lifesport, debating switching from goodlife, I was really unsure...part of me doesn't think they even had a pre-established corporate rate, but made one up on the spot so I would join. And it worked - but I'm getting a far better deal there than I ever was at goodlife.

I'll happily pay $53/month if the gym is worth it.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I pay close to $85/month at my gym. That includes taxes and towel service. I don't mind paying lots, as I'm there a lot. The place is seriously fancy shmancy inside:

- there's a pool
- very, very clean
- hot chicks all over the place
- each cardio machine has it's own personal 15" LCD screen with cable up to Food Network'
- open at 5 am
- hot chicks all over the place
- great variety of Hammer Stregth machines, cables benches and free weights
- licensed

The only drawbacks are:

- all ages, meaning squads of 16 year punks with puny arms trying to look cool. Luckily, they only do benches and curls.
- limited ab area
- parking is kinda crappy
- no decline bench
- located in Thornhill. Nothing but 'yo' and 'guy' and 'yo, guy'. The blackest ginos around I swear.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Phat Buddha
ok...now i know none of you want new people at your gym....
but since i moved to toronto, i've been looking for a place to workout...and after reading the thread where everyone agreed that they don't want new people coming to their gym...i started thinking.....

i'm in the bloor/st. george area, and i'm at a loss as to where i should go....how much these places will cost.... blah blah blah

any suggestions? and how much should i look at spending...also if any one knows of a place that is open late (24h) that would be cool too

thanks in adavance :D

pb

Are you getting too Phat Buddha?

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
Did you haggle with them a bit?
When I went across the street to lifesport, debating switching from goodlife, I was really unsure...part of me doesn't think they even had a pre-established corporate rate, but made one up on the spot so I would join. And it worked - but I'm getting a far better deal there than I ever was at goodlife.

I'll happily pay $53/month if the gym is worth it.

I didn't think they were susceptible to haggling. Besides, $50 a month was a little more than I was willing to pay anyway.

If you say $53 is a far better deal than Goodlife, I guess it really depends on how you look at it. The thing about Goodlife is that you can choose what your rate is depending on how much you pay for initiationon.

If you put down $400 for Initiation, you could be paying as little as $18 a month. Most people would say that putting down $400 is a lot of money. However, in the long run, and depending how long you're an active member, paying a $400 initiation and $18 saves you a lot more money than $53 a month.

Skipper

TRIBE Member

If you put down $400 for Initiation, you could be paying as little as $18 a month. Most people would say that putting down $400 is a lot of money. However, in the long run, and depending how long you're an active member, paying a $400 initiation and $18 saves you a lot more money than $53 a month.

I didn't pay initiation at life sport - that was the real seller. I won it when I got a winning scratch card in the mail. :D

I was paying around $28 every two weeks at goodlife, which works out to two extra payments (one month) a year more - I pay on the first of the month at Lifesport.

For me, though,the issue was about service - goodlife is a gym that appeals to all but caters to few - lifesport, although more expensive, treats its clients as individuals and insists on doing what it can to meet each persons own fitness goals.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I'm glad I paid a corporate rate...
I paid $398 for a year for all Bally's and a few Sports Clubs of Canada... it would of been cheaper for just Bally's but at the time I signed up I was driving to the Sports Club as it was closer to me and free parking.

But now I'm taking the TTC I think it'll only be ~$280 next year I hope. And I'll stick with just Bally's.

pr0nstar :D

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: finding a place to work out .....

Originally posted by JEMZ
Are you getting too Phat Buddha?

no.... not really.... :D

but i've noticed that during the week i'm becoming a bit more of a couch potato than i normally am....damn tv shows are good this year

sadly on weekdays my life is starting to revolve around CSI (and CSI miami), 24, ER, the OC and nip/tuck

vinder

TRIBE Member
it's expensive, but bally's at eaton centre rocks. i get a corporate rate so it's not that bad (46 with tax). but considering i go in teh daytime (2ish), it's never rammed, has excellent facilities and it's super clean.