• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Finding a clubby venue for a bday party

Skipper

TRIBE Member
So I know that many of you have found smaller venues around the city to throw a private or semi-private party (for birthdays or what not), and I'm wondering how to go about throwing my own little event.

I'm looking at a Sat night in July, probably July 9.
The venue would have to accomodate 50-75 people and have a DJ set up. (tables, not just CDJs)

I've never done this sort of thing before, and really it wouldn't be much of a big event, I just want a venue where I can be sure my party would get in, wouldn't be charged cover, and I could have control over the music for the night. I wouldn't mind if there were other people there as part of the venue's regular crowd.

a martini bar/lounge type thing would be ideal - like Lub, or Bird Lounge (tho I remember Bird being quite small).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

technowelt

TRIBE Member
The Rhino on queen st has a 2nd floor that they rent for parties, I think it is about $50, and you get a bartender. It is not the nicest, but it is cheap and private.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Shit... I should probably do the same soon. Gotta figure out a place for b-day drinks in a couple of weekends, although I don't need any kind of dj setup - just alcohol.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Well Pete there are a ton of places that have alcohol :p

I've never done this, but I'm sort of ancipating having issues where a venue already has a Sat night crowd and Sat night DJ...(doesn't Beba?)

I like IV lounge but I'm thinking something more upscale. Last year I was on the patio of the drake, and there was another party there where TK was spinning - I guess it was someone's bday and they were able to throw the party there.

kate

TRIBE Member
Might just be me but I have a feeling you're going to have a hard time finding a bar or lounge that has an existing clientele which would let you take over the music for the night if they already have a night established-unless you are willing to fork over serious cash for a private space. Why not just pick a place where you like the music and make vip reservations?

ian

TRIBE Member
Yeah Beba is packed on Saturdays. . . Eric Downer played there last week and this week is Adam from the Dukes. . .

Hmm. . . a friend had a small event downstairs at SpaHa (the restuarant at Sapdina & Harboard). It was nice (although I can't remember if they had decks). Maybe a little small.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
kate said:
Might just be me but I have a feeling you're going to have a hard time finding a bar or lounge that has an existing clientele which would let you take over the music for the night if they already have a night established-unless you are willing to fork over serious cash for a private space. Why not just pick a place where you like the music and make vip reservations?
because it's ma birthday I want to play. :D

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
Shit... I should probably do the same soon. Gotta figure out a place for b-day drinks in a couple of weekends, although I don't need any kind of dj setup - just alcohol.
Oh and capacity doesn't need to be nearly that of Skipper's either because I don't have that many friends.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Sutra Tiki Lounge on College doesn't have a crazy regular crowd and the venue is pretty fun, espescially for a summer event. They have a nice backyard/beach patio too!

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
Sutra Tiki Lounge on College doesn't have a crazy regular crowd and the venue is pretty fun, espescially for a summer event. They have a nice backyard/beach patio too!
The back patio with the sand is great! :) I've only been there a couple of times but neither of them have been all that busy.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
My friend Sara had her 30th on the top two levels of CZEHOSKI a few weeks ago. The second floor has a huge fireplace. It would probably work for you and is a differnet from the usual venues

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
I used to throw parties for 100 - 150 people upstairs above Runix at Bay and Dundas. I mean, I think that 150 is max capacity but it might be 200, you'd have to check with them. It's a nice little venue with a dj booth & set up (though we brought in some equipment ... monitors come to mind especially, and decks of course but the speaker set up was fine.) Decor is ok. Has bathrooms on the same floor + sufficient lighting. Has pool tables, booths, tables / chairs etc. It's not a venue with it's own nights and clientele, it's used as an event space and comes with bartender ... bar take goes to the club, door take goes to you. you have to pay for a security guy from a company they use ie. they set up the security and you pay $100 for the night if I recall correctly. anyway, me and some friends did several there and they worked out well. there is a bar minimum you have to reach but we found that if you have > 100 people there, drinking, and the drinking starts around 11, you're good to go. anyway, i can give you a little more info if you're interested. Contact: you just call runix and ask for the manager ... her name is cynthia i believe.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders