• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Final Scratch

spoony d

TRIBE Member
There's a hell of a lot of big names in the process of converting their entire vinyl collections to MP3

you decide :)

physix

TRIBE Member
it's definitely good...

but with the new turntable-CD-MP3 hybrid turntable
Technics is currently working on, it may be obsolete
soon....

but it's definitely good to have now.

(if you can afford a dedicated laptop)

maddog

TRIBE Member
this a dream come true for me, not all but alot of dj's that start using final scratch are gonna sell most of their wax:D
That technics all in one sounds crazy!!!!!! For now im happy with two decks , denon s5000 and soulseek

physix

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by maddog
For now im happy with two decks , denon s5000 and soulseek

when i make love to my lover, i often times stare
at my D5000.... do you think i'm fucked up for that???

maddog

TRIBE Member
not really, i gotta Q about the dirty denon.I have lost the manual and will eventually get another but for now Im getting great use out of it, what's all this slipmat biz about . I have been using it as is.Any info would be much appreciated

roojew

physix

TRIBE Member
well, I believe Denon is simply wanting
people to submit slipmat designs to put
over the platter part (since it's active)
to make it look more like turntables....

i say just put a 45 on it.

physix

TRIBE Member
from the DEnon webiste

Slipmat Design
Slipmat Design

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the fun parts of owning a DN-S5000 is being able to customise the player with your own slipmat. Be it cuting down a full size slipmat, or more commonly printing out your own high-quality mat for the 19cm platter.

This is the first of what we hope will be a wide collection of slipmat designs for the DN-S5000.
The first 3, are courtesy of Tricky, who has come up with 3 excellent designs, which look great when they spin.
The final design is the original denon dj logo, which has been adjusted slighty to fit the platter.

Slipmat designs are now in the Photo Gallery.
Click here ! to go to the gallery.

If you use the designs above, send us a photo of the slipmats in action !

Designing you own slipmats

We'll have more details later on for templates to use for your own design, but for now, if you create an image or resolution 974x974, and then set your print resolution to 150 Dots Per Inch, that should fit pefectly when you print it out.

DJ DIGITAL'S Slipmat Guide ....

So you want to customize your Denon DNS-5000? Read on to learn how.

The first step is to open your favorite image editing program and start a new project with a size of 974x974 PPI and a resolution of 120 DPI.
Now go ahead and make any design you would like don't forget that there is going to be a black circle (the stabilizer disc) around the center, so make room for it, you don't have to if you don't want to.
Hopefully you have made your design and printed it out by now.

The next step is to disassemble you platter to get you new slipmat on.
When you bought you new player it should have included a Hex Wrench (small black "L" looking thing)
Now you're going to take you Hex Wrench and unscrew the Hex Socket Head (screw) from the middle of your Stabilizer Disc (that's the little black thing in the middle of your platter with white lines on it).
Now your going to pull off the stabilizer disc, make sure you keep track of your screw and washer, the screw is very small and VERY easy to loose.

Now that the stabilizer is off the next thing is the clear scratch disc.
All you have to do is pull up on this disc.
While we have the scratch disc off this will be a good time to check for the tape trick. If you want more info on the tape trick check out Tricks & Tips section on this site.
So the stabilizer is off, you know where your screw is and you have the clear scratch disc off.

Next your going to get that nice new slipmat you just printed out and make sure it is the right size, if its too big lay your scratch disc down on your slipmat and cut to size.
Don't forget to make a small hole in the middle of your slipmat so it will fit around the hole that the screw goes into.
Now place your slipmat on the platter (don't take off anything else, leave the felt slipmat on and the slipsheets). Next place the scratch disc back on, make sure the grooves on the scratch disc are facing up away from the player.
Now the last step is to place the black stabilizer back on. Place it over the clear scratch disc, then screw your screw back in the hole with the provided Hex Wrench. That's it your done customizing you new Denon DNS-5000.

If you have any more questions or need more help check out page 26 section 17 in your Denon User Manual.

blackbeltjones

TRIBE Promoter
hey denon users...

what is the main difference between the 3000 and the 5000 in terms of practical applications?

and what is the approx difference in price between the two?

thanks in advance
:)

physix

TRIBE Member
i think the only difference is that the 5000 has the sampler, and the 3000 does not.

it's the diff of about $150-200 USD

altho' now I have the Cycloop and the KAOSS2 Pad (both with
samplers) and not to mention the Electribe SX-1 sampling
workstation, I went on ahead and got the 5000 j.i.c.

Simplistik

TRIBE Member
i love TFS.
it took a while to get comforable searching for songs and even longer to rip all the vinyl, but it's definately worth it.
it's so nice to be able to play you're own edits/loops with out touching a cd.

dj gboogie

TRIBE Member
I have the unit myself and is quite awesome! I have also signed up at ww.djinthemix.com as well as other record pools. The only down side to it I find is hooking the shit up (mainly all the loose wires). The better idea is design a mixer with all the shit inside so all you gota do is plug in the turntables.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
hey Maddog and Physix, good to hear talk of the S5000, I'm loving this baby too. Have you guys worked out all the cool tricks yet, I've had mine for almost 8 months and just learned the mirror mix trick this weekend (cool ass trick btw).

Sergio

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by physix
it's definitely good...

but with the new turntable-CD-MP3 hybrid turntable
Technics is currently working on, it may be obsolete
soon....

Do you know where I can find any information about this?

dj gboogie

TRIBE Member
what's the price tag on Final Scratch? What do the platters go for if you crack one?
I paid 8 bills but I've seen it go on ebay for $200 USD. Replacement records are $60.00 a pair in dubplate format or regular vinyl. They last about 5-6 months.

physix

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MWE
Do you know where I can find any information about this?
contact a buddy that works for Technics... that's all i can
say... it hasn't been even mentioned in public, yet.