• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Filthy Hands (A Gardening Thread)

catilyst

TRIBE Member
^ Nice!! I'm getting a bit worried about my tomato plants. Many of them have been holding nice big green tomatoes for ~ a month but they're not ripening. The various cherry varieties are progressing normally. Weird.

Also cucumber beetles suck lol. As do slugs. And worms. And little flying things. lol

Stop Bill C-10

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting cherry tomatoes now, and a few of the larger ones, but the racoon is eating half of them. I may have to build a big cage next year.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
^ Nice!! I'm getting a bit worried about my tomato plants. Many of them have been holding nice big green tomatoes for ~ a month but they're not ripening. The various cherry varieties are progressing normally. Weird.

Also cucumber beetles suck lol. As do slugs. And worms. And little flying things. lol
Worry not. Keep picking and trying them until you know what the strain is supposed to do. I have wild different colours in these heirlooms. Don’t even know what’s what- the way I planted them. I just keep trying them.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
ZING! :)

B34275-B8-A095-4-D1-F-BD33-916289-C8-BF64.jpg

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Best season in the world, for this kid.

My heirlooms are all past first transplant and thriving. Been trading and stockpiling seeds for the past few years. I have 9 strains of tomatoes and 5 strains of peppers, for 2021!!!

I have loads of extras and am planning a local weekend sale (East York). ...but - before I post elsewhere - thought I’d offer up to like-minded Tribe peeps first. If you have a garden and want the tastiest stuff in the world...

PM me for strain details and I’m happy to shoot you more info!

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Best season in the world, for this kid.
Yep. Absolutely favourite time of the year.

Looks like everything I plant this year will be from seed. Never been able to say that before. Beans, potatos, peas, carrots, various onions, last years garlic, cabbage, bok choy, giant mustard are all in ground. Really took advantage of the nicer weather we had, and yes, obviously watching for frost. Last I checked it looks like we'll likely be in the clear now.

Probably the first house in town with a tomato already. (not a 'good' one, and I don't think it will mature for a month or so - it was the result of a light test back in February. Light exceeded expectations and by April it was two feet tall - couldn't resist getting it out side)

Have all sorts of greens, celery, herbs, cauliflower, beets, cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins, watermelon, weed etc under lights inside. Everything is rolling along nicely except my parsley, oregano and thyme are taking forever.

This is what being unemployed during a lockdown looks like lol.

Nice gesture with the seeds. I think I'm all set, just put in my last order for a few I was missing yesterday.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am growing a few weed plants outdoors and also some of those nice sungold cherry tomato plants that did so well last year which I've already started in the growtent. I have 2 pretty big basil plants in the tent that will go in pots outdoors. I have two big pots outside, one with lettuces sprouting, and the other with mixed sprouts, some of which I am harvesting for dinner.

The bed is ready for the weed and tomatoes but it's too cold yet, right?

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
City gardening from seed can be all about rotation. Loll! Still have quite a few to transplant but this is gonna be a bumper year. Some of the tomatoes came up 2-3 to a peat-pod. I managed to separate and transplant them all this year. Nearly no wasted seeds. Everything is rooting and popping into healthy veg!

370-B06-EC-36-E4-43-A7-AE02-1-DFBDEB574-FA.jpg

D867-A853-A9-DE-47-BE-82-FB-3725-AAFDC8-AA.jpg

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
City gardening from seed can be all about rotation. Loll! Still have quite a few to transplant but this is gonna be a bumper year. Some of the tomatoes came up 2-3 to a peat-pod. I managed to separate and transplant them all this year. Nearly no wasted seeds. Everything is rooting and popping into healthy veg!

370-B06-EC-36-E4-43-A7-AE02-1-DFBDEB574-FA.jpg

D867-A853-A9-DE-47-BE-82-FB-3725-AAFDC8-AA.jpg

You are in the GTA, right? When are you putting these in the ground? This is the part of gardening I still don't understand.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
You are in the GTA, right? When are you putting these in the ground? This is the part of gardening I still don't understand.
I try to time them from seed so they get a proper transplant into the cups first, let the roots rock out and then watch the weather around the May 24th weekend. As soon as things hit above 15-17C with no dipping below 10C at night, they go in.

As long as they’re properly rooted, they’ll take off! :)

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
If it doesn’t look like a dip to 5C is coming, fire those babies in!!!! Sheep shit is the best fertilizer to start, in my experience. Others may differ and I’d love to hear from them.

Let’s all grow some tasty stuff!

Love that some of you are as into this as I am. I get it from Grandpa. ...and grandpa is smiling on all of us! :)

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I try to time them from seed so they get a proper transplant into the cups first, let the roots rock out and then watch the weather around the May 24th weekend. As soon as things hit above 15-17C with no dipping below 10C at night, they go in.

As long as they’re properly rooted, they’ll take off! :)
Solid advice. On Farmers Alamac they suggest adding bonemeal when transplanting and to feed tomato's with liquid seaweed ( or any low N fertilizer) every 3-4 weeks once the fruits are golf ball size. Will be trying this method for the first time this year.

Alex be sure to harden the plants off before planting in ground.

Mondieu props to Grandpa I'm sure he'd be proud to see his legacy lives on.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Solid advice. On Farmers Alamac they suggest adding bonemeal when transplanting and to feed tomato's with liquid seaweed ( or any low N fertilizer) every 3-4 weeks once the fruits are golf ball size. Will be trying this method for the first time this year.

Alex be sure to harden the plants off before planting in ground.

Mondieu props to Grandpa I'm sure he'd be proud to see his legacy lives on.
Bonemeal and bloodmeal work great on two fronts... Excellent fertilizer and also a bit of a repellent for vermin. It’s made from crushed up animals (sorry vegans) and they can smell that.

I prep all my beds with quality soil and sheep manure. I Also use coffee grounds in the mix.

During the season, I generally use a fruit and vegetable fertilizer twice. Once after about 2 weeks and again after about 2 months. The stuff flushes well before harvest and creates a massive explosion on my unruly heirlooms!

LOVE IT!!!!

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I think I've got a problem. Got tired of foraging for plant id tags (been using popsicle sticks, old cut up solo cups, plastic take away cutlery etc) so I got a 100 pack, thinking I'd be set for the year and maybe next too. Nope, already ran out lol and back to the ghetto markers.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have a small garden this year: 5 tomato plants, a cucumber, some lettuces, and some pak choi and some weed. Also large pots of basil and chives.