• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Filthy Hands (A Gardening Thread)

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
What a great day to get up, make a pot of coffee and get your hands filthy!

Last year I totally neglected my balcony flower boxes--not this year, oh no no! And I'm not just planbting flowers: I have some cilantro seeds I'm going to get started.

my fingernails are yummy right now. (I did a wash to touch my keyboard)

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
WORD UP!! I am going to get my backyard garden going this year. I want to grow flowers, plants and wonderful veggies.

Kalemic HELP ME!!!!!

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Yeah I gotta get some seeds started- anyone know a good website for balcony gardening??
-J
*My Morning Glories did excellent last year!

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Fillmore
WORD UP!! I am going to get my backyard garden going this year. I want to grow flowers, plants and wonderful veggies.

Kalemic HELP ME!!!!!
I sooo want a backyard... :(
-J
*stoopid box living

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by cosmiK-Cat
I sooo want a backyard... :(
-J
*stoopid box living

awwww, You can come over anytime and help me with my garden. I will need all the help I can get.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Yay Bill the cat!

Yeah, I only have balcony too, not backyard. My home up north has sooo much gardenbing, my parents are all abouyt it: huge vegetable garden and flower beds everywhere. I'm determined to make my balcony a foliage wonderland this summer.

Question: I'm pulling the old dirst from one of my boxes and it seems to be infested with these tiny bright green ball things. Any clue what they are? seeds? bug eggs?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
April 1st is a bit early to start an outdoor garden, don't you think Dorianne? Give it at least another month.. or just do it over again in another month.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
i'm excited to work on my back yard this summer... buncha crap was planted sort of late in the year last summer so should start to fill out nicely!

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
They're seed not already started plants: I'm putting htem in the boxes now and putting them oustide in the sun. I'll bring them in whenever there's a chance of frost (I'm positive we're in for another snowstorm before the real summer sets in.) and put them out permanently when they're nice and sprouted and thre's no more chance of frost, probably sometime hte middle of may.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have started my Red Habanero seeds I ordered from New Mexico and I really should have started some tomato seeds already but wtf.

I have some amazing heritage tomato seeds ACE 55 and brandywine that I will start today I guess.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I miss my old deck... it was huge... I had multilevel planters (mostly colourful flowers) in all the corners and a big spread of tomato plants across the wall of the house..... Plus the entire thing was covered in a trellace with grape vines, and I had a number of hanging baskets with assorted plants....

such an oasis in the city... we also had a full size bbq and huge table, (with chairs).... and a rope lights strung throughout the overhead trellace to light it up at night... really cool....

somehow my now apartment building balcony just doesn't inspire me to do anyting....

wow I miss that deck so much now :(

MBoy

TRIBE Member
Great day today for the garden. I just finished removing the grape vines we uprooted last autumn... they were becoming too much of a hassle, since they attracted all of the racoons when they came into season. There will be tomatoes there instead.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
hm, my parents also sent me seends in a little container labelled 'green pepers' but I think they just dried out hte seeds from the inside of one of the peppers from their garden. Think they'll grow?

vox

TRIBE Member
i'm going to be growing a few different kinds of heirloom tomatoes (alex d, i spoke to a farmer who said that it's better to start your seeds indoors later, rather than sooner, as the longer they're indoors, the more prone they are to stress when moved outside...he also suggested with sticking with a medium sized tomato at the largest). i'm also growing organic zucchini, and peppers...and that's it.

i've got a tonne of perennials from last year, and some mint that i have to contain somehow running rampant in my garden, and i think i might sow some filler plants/flowers to take up the space...maybe poppies because i love them so.

AlyG

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
hm, my parents also sent me seends in a little container labelled 'green pepers' but I think they just dried out hte seeds from the inside of one of the peppers from their garden. Think they'll grow?
Soak 'em in water overnight and they should be fine. Don't just stop there either! Try parsley, chives (perennial and so pretty) and basil. For plants I usually go tough and hardy for boxes. Geraniums, marigolds and Swedish ivy are great if you're planning on being away a lot.

SOOOO EXCITED about gardening this year. I have been appointed to look after my mother's back and front yard this spring/summer. Back patio bbq sessions are in order. I hope there will be a little drunken pirate running around to entertain us ;) Maybe an ass captain too!

I can't wait to get out there and rake. It's amazing what's coming up already!

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
There's been some really nice new varieties put out this season for new annuals and perennials (some incredible new colours, and some much hardier, virus indexed series). On my side things are looking really nice already and growing crazy, I've already had to prune back about 300 hanging baskets.

Next year should be interesting too, next week is the California show off time, where all the companies take the growers out to the fields out there (since its late spring there already) to show off all the new strains that will be for sale next year.

Hamza

TRIBE Member
I'm all about growing tropical plants/trees indoors!

its fucking awesome, kinda like a fuck you to mother nature and gay/cold canadian tempratures

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Fillmore

Kalemic HELP ME!!!!!
I help ya! :)

I'm so excited for this spring / summer! I'm going to add some flower pots and few plants to my balcony and completely re-design the backyard. tomatoes, peppers and green beans are on my list!