• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Film vs Digi

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
boss.gif
 

zoo

TRIBE Member
i have a film and an digi

my digi broke so i had to send it back but they fixed it, so that's cool

i took a whole roll of film but it turns out i just took 25 pictures on the same one exposure so my film was garbage

i probably put the film in wrong

therefore digi > film because you can't screw up the film in a digi because it doesn't use film
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
you can't start this thread without knowing shit about film, smart guy. WHERE'S THE PICS FILLMORE?!

:rolleyes:
 

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
you can't start this thread without knowing shit about film, smart guy. WHERE'S THE PICS FILLMORE?!

:rolleyes:
THe idea was so that we didnt have to read through all the camera babble in the pic thread .
 

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
God forbid we should talk about cameras in a picture thread.

You missed the boat, the topic was discussed. Note the use of the past tense.
 

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
God forbid we should talk about cameras in a picture thread.

You missed the boat, the topic was discussed. Note the use of the past tense.
Is someone taking this personnally god forbid
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Film. My AE-1 still takes better pics than most common digital cameras.

Film allows you more manipulation by hand, can be equal amounts of pre an dpost production, depending on the result you are trying to achieve. Digital allows anyone to take a pic then, manipulate the effects in post production.

Both are just tools of the trade.

Digital is more easier to learn, esp if you have a background in computers.
 

thom100

TRIBE Member
I have to bring up a couple points when comparing film to digital...

alot of people think the quality of digital is crap, and this is because they are still printing on their ink jet printers. If you want to see digital at its finest you need to end up with a C print, or chromogentic print. The file is printed on photographic paper ( light sensitive) using RGB lasers to make the light impression. The paper then goes through the chemical process.
For anyone still shooting film ( including myself) all you images you bring to any lab ( excluding custom hand printing) this is how your images are printed, so essentially all your photographs are digital images anyways.

I'll try to find some high end digital images to show the quality.

Digital main challenge is not how many megapixels it can get, but rather achieving skin tones that mimic film.
 

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
True dat.

All photographs fade with time. Digital camera pics printed at home on an inkjet printer will fade within a year. Ones printed on a laser may last longer, but ones printed on a $250,000 photographic printer will last longest. That's the marketing strategy Black's has followed to combat the "do-it-yourself" market.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Where's alexd and his Canon EOS-1Ds on this subject?

Alex, go take some pics in RAW format of Africa and post them!

pr0nstar :D
 

thom100

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aerius Zension
True dat.

All photographs fade with time. Digital camera pics printed at home on an inkjet printer will fade within a year. Ones printed on a laser may last longer, but ones printed on a $250,000 photographic printer will last longest. That's the marketing strategy Black's has followed to combat the "do-it-yourself" market.

yah ....the lab I run , inkjet is our enemy...

but when you see the quality difference there i no going back.
Our colour space is about a third larger than that of home/ink jet printer.
The prints are archival and should last about 60-75 years
 
Last edited:

Katman

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aerius Zension
True dat.

All photographs fade with time. Digital camera pics printed at home on an inkjet printer will fade within a year. Ones printed on a laser may last longer, but ones printed on a $250,000 photographic printer will last longest. That's the marketing strategy Black's has followed to combat the "do-it-yourself" market.

That's not quite true. Printed digi pics have a longer shelf life than stanard silver halide prints.

"HP today announced third-party test results confirming that HP's recently introduced black and white capable photo printing systems offer customers professional-quality black and white photos that resist noticeable light fading for 115 years(1). "

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040128/285208_1.html
 

thom100

TRIBE Member
I run Pikto ( www.pikto.ca ) we are a fairly new lab, only been around for about 8 months. Its in the Distillery. I was at lab manager at West Camera/ west digital before this.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

thom100

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Katman
That's not quite true. Printed digi pics have a longer shelf life than stanard silver halide prints.

"HP today announced third-party test results confirming that HP's recently introduced black and white capable photo printing systems offer customers professional-quality black and white photos that resist noticeable light fading for 115 years(1). "

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040128/285208_1.html

the problem with inkjet Black and white is you are tring to print using CMYK , where as C prints are RGB , the results are ALOT better.
 

thom100

TRIBE Member
these are not my photos, they were taken by a professional named David Leyes , usig the Phase One H25 digital back.

f9c803a6.jpg


f9c80385.jpg


f9c80354.jpg
 

thom100

TRIBE Member
20030908-bjork.jpg

my photo film^
20030811-keithrichards.jpg

Richard Beland digital^
20030721-davegahan.jpg

richard Beland digital^

20030224-samroberts.jpg

mine film^

*I dont know what type of post production was done on the digital images*
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top