• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Filipino eating habbits

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
I'm not sure I get this; how was the boy eating? what is this filipino eating habbit that is aparently so pig-like??

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/05/05/cagadoc05052006.html

The way seven-year-old Montreal student Luc Cagadoc eats his lunch has led to an international protest.
Young Montreal student Luc Cagadoc says he eats as Filipinos traditionally do. (CBC)

Luc used to eat his lunch at his school with a fork and spoon, until one day his teacher told him it was wrong.

According to Luc, the way she said it wasn't nice. "She said, I'm disgusting, I'm a pig, I'm a clown by the way I'm eating," said the young Montrealer.

Luc says he was punished and moved to another table away from his friends for eating the way Filipinos have traditionally eaten.

Luc's mother, Maria Theresa Gallardo, says her son "was traumatized. He was emotionally hurt inside."

Gallardo, an early childhood educator herself, said Luc had always been a good student. Now, he doesn't want to go to school and comes home for lunch every day.

Gallardo said she tried to get help from the school principal, but was told Luc should adjust to the Canadian way of eating. "'Every time your son eats like a pig, he'll be disciplined,'" Gallardo says she was told.

Food fight sparks protest

The school board put out a news release saying it's a disciplinary and etiquette problem, not a cultural one. The board said it hopes to settle the matter between administrators, the school and the family.

But things have moved way beyond that.

For days the story has been making headlines in the Philippines, and on Friday it sparked a protest outside the Canadian Embassy in Manila.

The Philippines' ambassador to Canada has written a stern letter saying he considers the school board's action an affront to the Filipino culture.

Anti-racism groups say it's time Quebec schools start educating the educators about cultural sensitivity.

Gallardo says she will file a complaint with the Quebec Human Rights Commission on Monday.

Fo Niemi, executive director of the Centre for Research-Action on Race Relations, says the issue is an important one.

"Basically school discipline can discriminate, unintentionally, in terms of its impact on the children, especially children from immigrant or racial minorities."

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
He was mashing it with his fork, then eating it with his spoon.

For days the story has been making headlines in the Philippines, and on Friday it sparked a protest outside the Canadian Embassy in Manila.

The Philippines' ambassador to Canada has written a stern letter saying he considers the school board's action an affront to the Filipino culture.
Unfortunately, the letter has largely gone ignored as it was written in the wrong format using an obsolete font.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
He was mashing it with his fork, then eating it with his spoon..
I read this article earlier and I too was confused as to what the issue was.
even after seeing a possible explanation as to how he was eating I still dont see what the teacher is on about.
personally I enjoy making a nice mashed pile of food and workin' the old mouth shovel of tastey pastes..

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
1) This woman sounds crazy

2) Do the crazy protesting philipinos have nothing better to do? Seriously... give it up for fuck's sake.

3) I <3 pansit

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
ive seen philipino kids mash with the knife and pick up the food with their hands.

who cares how a kid eats, why is this a "disciplinary issue" ?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders