• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Filing a complaint against a teacher?

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Just wondering if anyone has filed a complaint against a teacher, and what is the best way of going about it and to try and get results from it?

While the teacher hasn’t done anything specifically to me – his attitude while teaching, and his style of teaching are simply appalling.

If a student asks a question, he’ll insult them while answering them. He will go on tangents about how Ryerson is a shitty school, call the class, the student, and the entire student body “stupid, unmotivated, lazy”

He spends more time ranting and insulting the class than he actually does teaching, and the other day put me on border-line anxiety attack trying to fight the urge to walk out of the class it’s getting that bad.

He will purposefully assign homework that he has not taught the material on for how to solve it, then insult the students when they ask questions on it by saying things “If I were you, I’d be embarrassed if I didn’t get that one”, or “You made a mistake of the typical Ryerson student, looked for the lazy easy way out” when a simple “You made a common mistake” would do.

I still end up getting those questions anyways - as they are not all that tricky most of the time and dont have a problem with them, but hearing him insult the class time, after time, after time gets old fast. Its not so much the homework that he hasnt fully taught in class, its how he treats students when they ask about it during class the next day.

This teacher has been getting on my nerves all year – and the other day was finally the straw that broke the camels back and had me almost have an anxiety attack in class – and I’m still a bit wound up over it.

The retarded thing is – its not that I’m not ‘getting’ the material, I did well on the midterm, did well on the test, and have a fairly firm grasp on the material being taught, so its not like I’m upset because I’m ‘just not understanding the course material’ or anything like that. And its not like any of this stuff is being directed at me specifically, I just sit there and hear it for two hours on end, and it pisses me off.

I’ve had bad teachers before, I’ve had teachers I couldn’t understand a word they were saying before, I’ve had teachers that had no clue what the course material was and you could tell they just learned it themselves the day before they had to teach it – but this teacher is taking to whole new levels of bad teaching. Not only is he a horrible teacher, he insults the class, treats the kids like he despises them, and insults the entire school while at it.

Suggestions of how to go about it trying to get something done about this?

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Put some sugar in his gas tank.......that will keep him quiet for a while. Be sure to add a note on his windshield.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
We had a professor here in engineerning who was slapping the ruler stick down onto people's desks for chatting and or not paying attention. Really psycho.

A few students came to the Registrar to complain about this behaviour. We then had two staff sit in on his classes for a two week period. In the final week he was caught doing it to a student. Because of his great reputation he was only suspended. In this case the prof would usually be fired on the spot.

Godd luck

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Still havnt run through the spulll'n and gramur check (and those are my two weak points, so I'm gunna fix this up to be 100% good and spiffy before I send it), but think I'm going to send this letter to the teacher, and a copy along to whoever I file complaints to along with a proper complaint.

Dear Mr. X

The other day you asked to the class “Why do kids bother coming, if they are going to leave half way through?” – While I can not speak for the intentions of the kids who got up and left during class, I know for me – I was very close to walking out myself.

It’s not because I didn’t want to learn, it’s not because I didn’t care for the course material – it was because of the constant insults at the students, and jabs at Ryerson that flowed from your mouth the entire class. Many times during the course of the class, I fought the urge to stand up and say “Mr. X, can you please stop insulting us and just answer the question”.

When a student makes a common mistake, to me, an appropriate teacher response would be

“You’ve made a common mistake; this is how you do it the correct way”

It is not

“You have made a mistake typical of Ryerson students, looking for the lazy, easy way out”

Also comments like “If you were a grade A student, why would you come to Ryerson?” are completely uncalled for.

If you were an A professor – then maybe your failure rate wouldn’t be what, 50%
If you were an A professor – why aren’t you at one of those A level schools of which you seem to go on about endlessly?

You wonder why students don’t ask more questions during class? Maybe because they don’t feel like being told “You know, if I were you, I would be embarrassed if I couldn’t get that question.”

You leave out material during your lecture, in hopes of the students asking questions the day after, but then you go on to insult them when they do ask the questions? I fail to see how this is good teaching in any way, shape or form.

You wonder why more students don’t come by your office? Maybe its because they are intimidated by your persona during class, and don’t want to be belittled and insulted when they come to you for help.

Your teaching style is probably one of the most aggravating I have ever had the displeasure of having to sit through. You dwell on the same topic over, and over – and eventually, I will just start to space out as I understood it the first time. And, as you repeat it for the 10th time, you continue to pepper out your insults and jabs like garnishing on a salad. What could have been taught in five minutes, you seem to drag out to thirty.

You say that there are other schools which cover twice as much material in a week then we do in a class? Maybe if you could put a break onto your tangents and repetition, you too could fit in more information.

While I may not be passing this course with a 90%, I am doing fairly well – getting a good grade on the first quiz, did fairly well on the mid-term – and feel I have a firm grasp of the material being covered now. However, I am not learning or understanding this because you are a good teacher; I am learning it despite the fact that you are a horrible teacher.

I have never felt so insulted, frustrated or angered before, as I am at you during class. Maybe if you cut down the fluff, cut out the insults, stuck to the course material and taught in a tight and concise manner, more students would ask questions and less students would walk out mid-class.

The other day, I had a border-line anxiety attack during class – not because the material was hard, as I understand it fairly well. But because of your actions and the attitude while you teach.

I plan on attending every class, I plan on studying hard, and plan on passing this course, just so I never, ever, have the displeasure of having to be taught by you again.

... to send, or not to send... I dont know, it just has me pissed off, and angry just thinking about it, and I need to head to another class of his in an hour.

deep

TRIBE Member
See your ombudsperson for advice on what mechanisms to use for voicing a complaint. Their job function is to side with students against the university, so they'd tell you what steps to take. Whereas seeing the instructor's department head might result in the department head trying to brush aside the situation.

djfear

TRIBE Member
1) Confront him.

That's the best action you can take in this situation, it also requires the most guts but if you can do it then you are the better person no matter what the outcome.

Profs and teachers are often part of unions and you probably won't be able to get him fired so the best way is to be proactive to change his attitude. You're paying for the priviledge to be taught by the world's best minds and he's just shitting on you in the process. It's his class so don't give him any of that "I'm paying your salary" bullshit because he'll just tell you to leave.

2) Organize a walkout.

Organize a walkout from the class by everyone and go straight to the registrar's office. Make yourself heard. Tell the Dean that you feel ashamed to be part of an institution who's own faculty insults the reputation and close to 60 years of history. Tell him that there is no place in the fine institution that is Ryerson for someone like that.

Patriotic Americans like to question loyalty and make you feel like a traitor. Do the same to this prof.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Well, my fear in confronting him right now - is getting nailed on the exam. Although, I'm sure if he wrongly failed me on the exam, could get it re-marked by someone thats not him, but last thing I want is to endup flunking the course for being a 'shit disturber'

djfear

TRIBE Member
3) Create a dialogue in-class.

Next time he says something insulting about Ryerson or to another student, speak up and tell him to lay off Ryerson and all the students. I don't have any doubt that other people will stick up for you (depending on the class of course) once you take that first step, remember 99% of them feel the same way as you do.

djfear

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
Well, my fear in confronting him right now - is getting nailed on the exam. Although, I'm sure if he wrongly failed me on the exam, could get it re-marked by someone thats not him, but last thing I want is to endup flunking the course for being a 'shit disturber'
I just remembered that the semester is almost done. Don't wait until after the exams, then nothing will happen. Option 2 might be the best bet. If he says something "Everyone who leaves is going to flunk the exam" then he's bluffing. If his class average ends up being something ridiculously low then from administration's eyes he's not doing his job properly. They need a certain percentage of students to pass the course. Bring a tape recorder if it would make you feel safer.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
He actually seems to boast about the fail rate on the exams/midterms (class avg of the midterm was 51%)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
djfear said:
silliness
You appear to be someone who a] doesn't know what they're talking about and b] has never actually done this before.

Kaniz, avoid doing anything that brings into question your credibility. The more you appear like a whiny, irrational undergrad, the weaker your chances for getting complaints taken seriously. Most students don't realize the sheer amount of "revenge feedback" that gets thrown out as bullshit complaints in mechanisms like instructor reviews, etc. Taking hostile measures like confronting the instructor in class or organizing some kind of lame walk out can in turn be argued by the instructor as proof of a hostile student who undermines the instructor's efforts to manage the classroom.

Last edited:

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I want to approach this in the best way possible. That is also why part of me wants to wait untill the exams are done, and I've passed the course, as I dont want to come off as sounding like a whiney kid trying to get revenge because he failed the course.

deep

TRIBE Member
There's no harm in seeing the ombudsperson now, they're like an advisor and you won't be logging a formal complaint into a system or anything just yet.

It may be better to do this before the end of the term as doing so suggests you are not "complaining about a bad mark" in so far as you are "complaining about the quality of the course as it is being administered". In the former scenario someone can ask why you didn't speak up if you felt the quality of instruction was so poor. Just like the instructor reviews issue, administration knows that students will often blame the instructor when they have failed to perform well or take advantage of things under their control.

MKMIRAGE

TRIBE Member
If you really want to hit him hard and quickly, tape record his lesson and bring it to Registrar's office. If you want him to tone it down ask him for a permission to tape record lessons. Some teachers do not care though. They feel they have been around for long enough nothing they do can get them fired. That happens at all levels, primary, secondary and post secondary...
M.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Sent an email to make an appoint with my ombudsperson, who knows what will come of it.

and, funny ... he handed out the class evaluation forms. Normally, there is a procedure that you are to follow, which is.

a. Give them to a student to hand out
b. Leave the room while they get handed out
c. Have student collect them
d. have student place them into envelope, then place that into another one, seal it, and sign it to show the teacher hasnt seen the responses

How he did it?

handed them out himself, said 'put them here when you leave the class', and no student being involved at all.

TRIBE Member
What are you majoring in anyway?

It looks like you're well on your way to earning a degree in being a little pussy bitch.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
416 said:
What are you majoring in anyway?

It looks like you're well on your way to earning a degree in being a little pussy bitch.
haha

Seriously though, this guy is gone from your life in a month. There are soooo many assholes for you to meet in the journey of your life, you can't stop and dwell on just one. move on.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
kaniz

deep is giving you good advice, and I dont want to say otherwise, but I have a different avenue to go. My advice is admittedly worse, but for your purposes may work. You said you are doing well in the class, and that you should do well on the exam. As long as this is not information you will be building on I woulod suck it up, breathe deeply and carry on.

When you get your degree and start working you will probably never use the information he is allegedly teaching you anyways

I would opt for the better mark raher than the high road. Sometimes you have to be greedy and worry about yourself. As long as he didn't single you out, let it go. Fight your own fights not other people's.

EltrikSoulCntlr

TRIBE Member
I go to Ryerson also. I really don't want to have to sit through this type of shit.Can you post this prof name.I fully believe that you should approach the school regarding his behaviour.Also consider that there will be more students who will also have to put with this if nothing is done. Just my 2 cents!

kaniz

TRIBE Member
I'm in Info Tech Management.

I'm dealing with him and putting up with him, that being said - I think he is a horrible teacher and has no place instructing students, not trying to raise a stink for my own benifit (ie: change teachers to benifit me), just think its pretty shitty that hundres of other kids need to put up with his bullshit every day.

Its not a matter of being a 'pussy bitch' - being a pussy bitch would just be sitting back, taking it, and not trying to get something changed - even if it is of no direct benifit to me later on down the road.

Its much easier to comply and deal with teachers like this, than it is to try and stand up to them (and the administration) to get something done about them.

I only have about, 4 more classes left with him - so yes, I am aware he will be out of my life soon enough, but thats not the point. He's crossed a line in what I think is acceptable of a teacher, and think he should be aware as such and (hopefully) have some sort of rammifcations.

Letting assholes be assholes and doing nothing about it is being a 'pussy bitch' and letting the asshole win.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories