• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

File sharing not killing the music and movie industries: LSE study.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I had this discussion with a few friends recently, the focus was on the right to torrent/piracy among other related issues.

I'm glad there's finally a study on this, it's been used to invoke justification for going after those that use torrents regardless of the original purpose of the content IE. originally aired on network TV vs Movies just in the theatre.

To me this is akin to going to a store and demoing a record/cd before you buy it. Until I finished college I rarely paid for music yet I had a legal collection that was quite large at one point. The majority was promo GIVEN to me from labels unfortunately that doesn't exist much anymore.

Having said that there is a huge push to move to a pay per use format, meaning you'd pay each and every time you want to watch a movie and the idea of ownership will go the way of the dodo. This model does nothing to combat piracy but in fact duplicates revenue streams in much the same vein that industries change technology media standards to VHS/BETA/Laserdisc/DVD/Bluray to influence repurchasing of the same product.

I think that some of this on the music side is artists and record labels finally getting the message that the public doesn't want to pay for a full album when there's only 2 or 3 good songs on it, and the rest being filler. They're finally adapting to how the business has changed.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories