• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Fido phone connecting to Bell wifi

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
I'm with Fido and I just discovered if I turn on my wifi my phone will connect to somebody in my area who's using Bell. I'm not on a data plan and I can surf the net,,will I get charged for this usage or will it go to the person's Bell account?

am i getting free access to the net by doing this?

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
One last question,, will they know that i'm using their service,, does an icon come up or something telling them other users are logged on?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
If the have Moocherhunter (TM) they can track you down!

[YOUTUBE]4bDxeAqbhbg[/YOUTUBE]

If they know how to check their routers' device list they will be able to see your connection to their network.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
One last question,, will they know that i'm using their service,, does an icon come up or something telling them other users are logged on?
If it's a smartphone and you are connecting to their wireless tethering then yes, the moment you connect they will get a notification indicating a device is connected to their hotspot. They would not see your phone number though.

I actually think it's unlikely you are connecting to someone's phone. Are you sure it just isn't someone's home wifi? What about the wireless connection makes you think it's a bell phone?

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
Yeah i'm connecting to somebodys home wifi,, when I turn on my phones wifi it reads that I connected to Bell with numbers after it,,, if I try it away from my house I can't get on it'll say i'm out of reach or something like that,,, probably hooking up to my neighbours connection

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
my question is how you are logging into somebody's bell wifi at all. those passwords are like 20 characters long and are not able to change (unless you know your shit) and even if you DID know your shit why on earth would you leave it open?

anyways.... your neighbours are idiots and i will be surprised if they are using any snooping software.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Although, leaving it open is nice if you are capturing traffic/data... that's some fun. I can think of a number of reasons I wouldn't use open wifi.

I wouldn't recommend banking over their wifi, at the very minimum.