• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

FHRITP - Citytv newslady gets Toronto guy fired

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
this whole FHRITP thing, which stands for "f*ck her right in the p*ssy," was news to me.

a friend of mine showed me a single youtube video about 6 months ago where a male reporter was interviewing someone live after a movie and the guy being interviewed said "i think it was a great movie but much more importantly i would f*ck her right in the p*ssy." i admit that i laughed at the video, mostly because it was completely unexpected and the reporter's reaction when he realized what had been said on live television was pretty funny.

i found out last night that this prank/trend/hoax has been a worldwide trend for at least the last year. this was big news in toronto because a female citytv reporter challenged some toronto soccer fans who pulled this stunt on her while reporting live, and the entire altercation was caught on camera. the media/internet picked up the story, the two guys who were shamed on camera are currently facing toronto media/internet wrath not seen since the TTC leprechaun, and at least one of the guys was fired by his employer, hydro one.

the internet mob revealed that the two attended laurier university, which prompted the university to release a press statement saying that "laurier is deeply disappointed that laurier alumni were associated with this incident." i found this odd, as universities don't normally issue press releases when one of their alumni does something wrong.

i don't recall york university issuing a similar press release when dj jake the snake killed that chinese girl and got caught on her webcam.

in any event, here are details of the story in case you missed it: Hydro One firing employee involved in vulgar incident at Toronto FC game | Toronto Star

and here are examples of the FHRITP prank from around the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPYeBFWNUlA

thoughts?

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Anyone who pulls this type of behaviour is rolling the dice. He humiliated himself in front of a live broadcast - that was his choice. Adults should know better than to repeat what they see on t.v. or in youtube videos.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Dude should also get whacked by baseball bat wielding Playstation tantrum boy IMO.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
To the people who think the backlash is too harsh: just remember he was relying on the same type of mob mentality to justify his behaviour / comments.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
do you think it's okay that the hydro one guy, who did not say FHRITP, got fired for something that had nothing to do with his job? he is not the public face of hydro one. i think i read that he's in the IT department.

i fully agree that he comes off as a loser in the video, but all he does is say "i think it's f*cking hilarious" a bunch of times, which is just expressing his opinion. there is nothing illegal about swearing and the only reason it was on television is because the citytv reporter asked him what he thought about the prank.

i have some sympathy for these guys, especially the ones that did not execute the prank but expressed the opinion that it was funny, losers though they may be.

and i'm not sure i buy the sexual assault/abuse angle, because this prank gets pulled on male reporters half the time as well. i agree the FHRITP line is degrading to women, but would the prank be more acceptable if it was an equally crude line about men? i think the point of the prank is to say something very vulgar/inappropriate on live television and to then watch the reaction of the reporters.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I agree with Will. Public shaming yes. Getting fired for an opinion off the job during his private time is a little bit much.

Note to news media: don't interview drunk soccer idiots.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
He will probably Litigate, and may well get a settlement.

But if you're the mayor, Then you can smoke rock on video and not get fired.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I think the firing was harsh. Maybe suspend without pay for a week? But even that... you're going to let the likes of reddit dictate your HR policies? Do those policies state that you still represent the company even if you're off-duty?

I think a public shaming is punishment enough.

acheron

TRIBE Member
If I were him I'd lawyer up anyway. There were murmurings of his being charged with assault as well.

The FHRITP thing is tiresome in that it's unimaginative, and it's so overdone. Howard Stern's legions were way more amusing with the "Bababooey" meme that was employed in a similar fashion on just about every form of media possible. TV, radio, newspapers, etc. It had the advantage of not actually being offensive in and of itself, as it's a nonsense word/nickname for show producer Gary Dell'Abate.

If this had been restricted only to male reporters we wouldn't be here. I don't think any of the goons who say FHRITP actually intend to rape the reporter or anyone else but the phrase is generally offensive to women and that's really all that matters.

We need to go back to bababooey is what I'm sayin'. The practice of disrupting reporters doing live hits will continue as ever, it'll just have to be done using a significantly less offensive meme.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Politicians say dumb shit all the time, all they need to do is issue an insincere apology and all is forgiven.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Wait wait, so the hydro one guy isn't actually the guy who said it? Wow, I fell for it. I was easily misled to believe he was "fired" for "vulgar remarks". The media got me this time. Shit!

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
If I were him I'd lawyer up anyway. There were murmurings of his being charged with assault as well.
the article is unclear on whether he was fired for cause or without cause. if he was fired for cause, then i think he would have a strong case and would win at least the amount of notice/severance that he would have received if fired without cause. if he was fired without cause (which i think is more likely), i expect an employment lawyer would advise him not to sue, as an employer can fire an employee "without cause" as long as it pays him notice/severance.

the notion of charging these guys with assault is a bit retarded.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
i fully agree that he comes off as a loser in the video, but all he does is say "i think it's f*cking hilarious" a bunch of times, which is just expressing his opinion. there is nothing illegal about swearing and the only reason it was on television is because the citytv reporter asked him what he thought about the prank.
Actually he also tells her she's lucky there's not a fucking vibrator either in here or in her ear like in England. That is a pretty gross thing to say to someone who is telling your friend, who confirmed that he was waiting around to pull the prank, that it is degrading while she is just trying to do her job.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Actually he also tells her she's lucky there's not a fucking vibrator either in here or in her ear like in England.
I have been to some techno parties that were like having a vibrator in your ear! Both ears even!

acheron

TRIBE Member
What does this mean? Murmurings?
the media, while they were all piling on, rubbing their hands together with glee at finally calling one of these guys out, some of them got comment from various police agencies asking for their opinion about whether there was the potential for any charges. assault was mentioned in passing by at least one of them along with several other possibilities from mischief to causing a disturbance, "touching" etc.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Are you talking about the letter that was sent by police to media outlets in Calgary? I haven't seen anything about Simoes being charged with assault.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Actually he also tells her she's lucky there's not a fucking vibrator either in here or in her ear like in England. That is a pretty gross thing to say to someone who is telling your friend, who confirmed that he was waiting around to pull the prank, that it is degrading while she is just trying to do her job.
i re-watched the video, and obviously agree that it is in bad taste. it does not seem like he was threatening to put a vibrator in her ear. he was saying that, in a similar prank on a u.k. newscast, the reporter had a vibrator thrust in her ear, so in his drunken view the prank pulled by his friend was more tame. granted he said "you're lucky there's not a vibrator in your ear, like in [the] england [prank]."

does that qualify as sexual assault?

this article calls the FHRITP prank "verbal rape" when the reporter is a woman, and states that "it promotes the rape of women" regardless of the context. it also criticizes torontonians in general for not intervening as good folk should in any instance of sexual assault.

is this really worthy of being called rape? why not call it a moral holocaust?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Looks like he won't make the sunshine list this year! He did the past 2 years though. Pretty good pay for a goon.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Who is saying it's sexual assault? I was responding to you saying that all he did was express his opinion that it's hilarious.

I think calling it verbal rape is overstating it, but I think it's fucking gross and demeaning and people should not feel free to demean other human beings on camera without facing consequences.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
this argument is beyond stupid

the sex assault angle is offensive, this is disturbing the peace or public mischief. Making a mountain out of a molehill does a disservice to real victims.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders