• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

feta cheese

kuba

TRIBE Member
Why does feta cheese last so long? My due date says march 2005 on it!! Im convinced it lasts forever, but someone else isnt.

Please note: this thread might settle a long-standing battle :D

kuba

TRIBE Member
Its one of those big KRONOS cheese packages. In water...

Ive known feta to last a lot longer than most cheese though.

Thats my question. Why does feta last so long?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
Feta is a classic and famous Greek curd cheese whose tradition dates back thousands of years and is still made by shepherds in the Greek mountains with unpasteurized milk. It was originally made with goat's or sheep's milk, but_ today much is often made commercially with pasteurized cow's milk (the firmer cow's milk version is made for export). The curdled milk (curdled with rennet) is separated and allowed to drain in a special mold or a cloth bag. It is cut into large slices (feta means 'slice') that are salted and then packed in barrels filled with whey or brine.

Salted and cured in a brine solution (which can be either water or whey) for a week to several months (this is why it is sometimes called a 'pickled' cheese). Feta dries out rapidly when removed from_ the brine.

Feta cheese is white, usually formed into square cakes, and can range from soft to semi-hard, with a tangy, salty flavor that can range from mild to sharp. Its fat content can range from 30 to 60 percent; most is around 45 percent milk fat. It is now made in many countries, but usually the pasteurized cow's milk version, on a commercial scale.

Feta is delicious crumbled over salads (the Classic Greek Salad), or together with sliced tomatoes, sprinkled with olive oil and fresh herbs. It is also used as a filling for puff pastry (feuilletes).

i typed 'feta cheese' into google and by some crazy way of the cheese gods
it worked. first link even..amazing!

man_slut

TRIBE Member
List the ingredients and I'll tell you why it lasts so long. Is there any sodium (salt like derivatives but much worse) like ingredients listed? What is the sodium content on the nutritional facts?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
I dont subscribe to the opened/unopened theory.

SOmeone tried to argue that one. But, with milk, there is ONE due date, right? So once you open the milk, or if you leave it closed, there is the same due date. Same thing with feta. Why would there be a due date for before opened cheese and after opened feta cheese?

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayIsBored

i typed 'feta cheese' into google and by some crazy way of the cheese gods
it worked. first link even..amazing!

smart ass: this didnt answer why it lasts to long! :p

bytheway whats the recipe for those sweetandsour balls?

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip
Its one of those big KRONOS cheese packages. In water...

Ive known feta to last a lot longer than most cheese though.

Thats my question. Why does feta last so long?

OMG... I think you guys have been fighting over that for SOOO Long!

Feta... soooo GOOOD!

man_slut

TRIBE Member
I dont subscribe to the opened/unopened theory.

SOmeone tried to argue that one. But, with milk, there is ONE due date, right? So once you open the milk, or if you leave it closed, there is the same due date. Same thing with feta. Why would there be a due date for before opened cheese and after opened feta cheese?
Due dates are just suggestions. There are a lot of other variables that effect the freshness of food such as temperature, packaging and the surrounding environment (dirty areas can have more bad bacteria).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kat

TRIBE Member
smart ass: this didnt answer why it lasts to long! :p

bytheway whats the recipe for those sweetandsour balls?
Sweet & Sour Pork

Ingredients:

1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
water or milk
1lb lean ground pork
vegetable oil
1 cup pineapple tidbits
1 chopped clove of garlic
1 cup water
2 tbs sugar
4 tsp cornstarch
2 tbs vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice or water

heat your oil in a deep pan or really large pot at about medium heat (or you will burn your arms..seriously)

meanwhile roll pork into balls (1lb should equal about 20-25 balls)
beat flour, eggs and salt together.
stir in just enough water/milk to make a thin batter
dip balls into batter and drop into hot oil
(i recommend only doing 5 or 6 "batches" at a time..otherwise it will get crowded)
fry about 10-15 minutes each. lift out with slotted spoon. place in paper towel.

then in a frying pan add pineapple, garlic, water and sugar (+ whatever veggies you want in it)
bring to a boil, and reduce heat. cook for about 10 minutes..

in a bowl mix cornstarch, vinegar, soy and juice/water to make sauce, and add to the frying pan.

let it thicken and taste for sweetness/seasonings. add more liquid if the sauce gets too thick.
add the pork balls at this point (any earlier and they get a bit soggy)
cook and stir for about 5-6 min

serve with chow mein noodles or rice. (i say rice)

serves 6 (i say 4)

it sounds complicated..but its probably just my shitty directions ;p
i think if you really wanted to, you could just buy a sweet&sour sauce to pour in instead of making it yourself.

oh - yes. and be prepared for your house to smell like deep fried pork for about 24 hours.
dont wear a nice shirt while making this

yay!

byebye
kait

Last edited: