• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Fending off bear attacks

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I suspect all that stuff about bear spray and standing your ground is all rather useless without a gun.

[YOUTUBE]401ATHqOCOg[/YOUTUBE]

Stop Bill C-10

djfear

TRIBE Member
That video is quite old.

It depends on the bear. You should not play dead with a black bear, and bear spray is better than nothing.

derek

TRIBE Member
black bears generally false charge on the first run (usually they just run). if you look big and stand your ground they are fairly timid (unless desperately hungry). it's small children and women that need to be more diligent but even then attacks are extremely rare.

grizzlies, just prey for the best, even playing dead isn't a sure thing and running just kicks the predatory instinct. don't make eye contact, slowly move off the trail out of there way.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I'd want something more powerful than a shotgun to take on a grizzly. The guy in the story used a rifle.

orchid

TRIBE Member
I had a close call with a bear almost a year ago in the back country of Gros Morne in Newfoundland - at least 2km hike away from anyone. We were awake in the tent around 2am when we heard rustling nearby. A bear went right past our tent, probably 30 feet away, could hear him grunting as he passed. He went down toward the beach where we had left our pot/dishes set that wasn't quite clean. We heard him clinking that around. It was pretty bone chilling. My bf spent the next hour on his laptop googling what to do...I kind of just relaxed and went back to sleep - lol. In the morning, we checked the bear post, and our garbage bag had been torn down from the sack and rifled through. I really don't know what we could have done if he had just plunged himself into our tent. Guess we'd be dead!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Smoke bombs and flash grenades*, no one dies and it looks awesome !!!!!

* unless wearing proper protective vision, ear protection, you will also be in the same boat as the bear. but less likely to recover as quickly.

When in bear territory its recommended to where welding goggles and rave ear plugs at all times while carrying both a smoke bomb and flash grenade, loaded and ready to go.

derek

TRIBE Member
yeah, try carrying that crap with you when you already have 45lbs on your back.

that sounds like a hillbilly solution for sure.

and yeah, a shotgun against a grizzly, you may as well just spit on them

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I had a close call with a bear almost a year ago in the back country of Gros Morne in Newfoundland - at least 2km hike away from anyone. We were awake in the tent around 2am when we heard rustling nearby. A bear went right past our tent, probably 30 feet away, could hear him grunting as he passed. He went down toward the beach where we had left our pot/dishes set that wasn't quite clean. We heard him clinking that around. It was pretty bone chilling. My bf spent the next hour on his laptop googling what to do...I kind of just relaxed and went back to sleep - lol. In the morning, we checked the bear post, and our garbage bag had been torn down from the sack and rifled through. I really don't know what we could have done if he had just plunged himself into our tent. Guess we'd be dead!

Had a similar encounter in Algonquin years ago. I heard it outside the tent sniffing around and turning rocks over. Went back to sleep and checked it out in the morning. As long as everything is put away OK no big deal- the bears use the same trails the people do so no big surprise. I didn't spend an hour on google! Now that I think about it there was probably no such thing as google at the time, or definitely not in the woods at least.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
if no gun, just make noise like HEY BEAR GO AWAY! and give the super secret signal...when hiking have a bell, or sing, or talk loudly...

DONT RUN AWAY

even some firecrackers or flares would prob help, but if u get the wrong bear ur dead.

zerOGda2nd

TRIBE Member
Let’s face it, an attack is a lot more likely to happen in Toronto at night, then a camping attack. Some bears can grow pretty big.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Gay bear attack - Even more dangerous

Gay bears are easy to fend off. Just hit "block" on your app.

Grizzlies, on the other hand, will rip you to shreds. There's two things that are very disturbing about the bear attack video below. One is that it happened in a typical suburban backyard just like yours. The second is that the deer is probably heaver and stronger than you.

[YOUTUBE]JzwbOZKfrUQ[/YOUTUBE]

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I think I might have found somewhere else to be if I came across that

Near the end of the video you can hear the filmmaker call out to what sounds like a kid. I'm not so sure a kid should be hanging around. I'm not sure if the police could help with that situation, either.

Sudbuy police do advice to not chase bears with bats and sticks, though. Apparently that's a no no.

Don't chase bears, Sudbury police advise | Sudbury Star