• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Female live PA-ers?

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Are there any women out there who do live PAs regularly?

It struck me today that I can't think of a single one.

ian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
Are there any women out there who do live PAs regularly?

It struck me today that I can't think of a single one.
The Punisher from Detroit.

-ian g.

beaker

TRIBE Member
elektra from london did a pretty cool thing for us at milano's a while back. juno with two decks and dirty lyrics on the mic.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Simplistik

TRIBE Member
maybe not the techno that you play skipper (more minimal/tech-house)....but Dinky has been doing a live show for a while now, and i'm pretty sure you can listen to a few on her site (dinkland.com) if your interested.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Simplistik
maybe not the techno that you play skipper (more minimal/tech-house)....but Dinky has been doing a live show for a while now, and i'm pretty sure you can listen to a few on her site (dinkland.com) if your interested.
Cool! thanks :)

It seems to me that the ratio of men to women who do live PAs is much more disproportionate than the ratio between male to female techno DJs...why could that be?

(ignorant responses are welcome and expected ;) )

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
she didn't play live at all but does anyone remember "Little T"? I think she was from BC...played some of the smoothest tech-house blend of good tunes I'd hear from anyone at the time.

not as many female djs/producers = more talent condensed into fewer packages...good news for Skipper but all us guys are screwed ;)

ian

TRIBE Member
OM this year also had "Granny 'Awk" (spelling?) a very cool minimal laptop techno producer from out West on the experimental stage. As suggested by her name, she is a woman, although a young one and far from a granny.

-ian g.

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
granny ark i think it is.....

she's no granny.
just groovy. ;)

I noticed this before, and I'm not trying to start something sexist, but I would have to say that it might relate to men embracing new technology (without ever reading the manual) and women shying away from the gadgetry of 'boy toys'. (fear)

off the top of my head, I've only ever seen a few female live pas where it was solely a woman. Punisher being one of them...a lot of the time it's usually for vocals (ectomorph, adult, miss kitten, dawn (?) from repair, katya casio)

destro

Tech_Head_Rob

TRIBE Member
umm.. i forget the specific name of her, but there was a girl who opened up Mutek 2003's "final soiree" at the Just for Laughs Museum. I think her name was Robin Lake and I know she was from Toronto. Very Mutek-ish like stuff, arm-chair listening tempos, experimental and freaky tones, etc. etc. Let's just say that Monolake came on after her and the vibe of the night didn't change much... ;)

look up on www.mutek.ca, it'll probably be on there.

peace
Rob

Tech_Head_Rob

TRIBE Member
whoops. i just checked myself, and guess what? her name is Robin Judge... funny how the memory gets things jumbled up like that, eh?

musork

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Tech_Head_Rob
umm.. i forget the specific name of her, but there was a girl who opened up Mutek 2003's "final soiree" at the Just for Laughs Museum. I think her name was Robin Lake and I know she was from Toronto. Very Mutek-ish like stuff, arm-chair listening tempos, experimental and freaky tones, etc. etc. Let's just say that Monolake came on after her and the vibe of the night didn't change much... ;)

look up on www.mutek.ca, it'll probably be on there.

peace
Rob
robin judge was her name

musork

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ian
OM this year also had "Granny 'Awk" (spelling?) a very cool minimal laptop techno producer from out West on the experimental stage. As suggested by her name, she is a woman, although a young one and far from a granny.

-ian g.
granny ark aka michelle irving is acctually an ambient and broken beat idm pa she wrote that minimal techno set as she was at the time slotted to open up for me on a number of east coast and quebec dates... around the time of om...
which happen to also be similar material that she will be rleaseing on the zora lansen label early 2004.
I have her slotted to play the clonk laptop brunch monthly event Ill be doing in the new year at gallery milles here in mtl starting up some time in feb. shell be doing an ambient idm set which is some thing she is more accustom to doing for this....
note: she is also a very talented turntableist who has made it as far as the finals of the 2001 dmc compition in vancouver...
:)
I belive the only female to make to the finals of the dmc championships globally...

musork

TRIBE Member
[sic] - mtl - piehead records
robin judge - vancouver - noise factory, onitor
granny ark - vancouver - zora lansen
alice & the serial numbers - mtl
building castles out of match sticks - hamilton - worthy. piehead
psychosomatic climax machine - hamilton - worthy
hello this is alex - toronto (one half female live pa) - piehead
sarah pebbles - toronto
bllix - portland
forest green - san fransico
mira calyx - scottland - warp

these are just a few off the top of my head...

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
^I was gonna do a list, but I figured most of them would be of the more idm/micro/electro names....since I don't know any live PA females who do the bangin techno thang.

destro

musork

TRIBE Member
oh yeah I nearly forgot

Sweden-based Claudia Bonarelli - no type - deep dubby minimal techno

Kaia Wong (Anaesthesia) - no type- wierd vocally
electro glitch/nowave montreal