• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Features the iPhone lacks

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
One feature that I miss from my old clunker of a Nokia was themes. You could set these themes to kick in at specific times. I set my phone to automatically go into "meeting" mode every morning before I started work.

On the other hand, I always forget the silent switch with my iPhone. It's annoying.

Maui

TRIBE Member
The ability to prevent you from looking like a douchebag for paying so much for a sub par product?

videotronic

TRIBE Member
I guess maybe apple assumes that the average user has the capability to remember to turn their phone onto silent mode if they desire the phone to be silent.

That's obviously giving some among us too much credit I guess?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I guess maybe apple assumes that the average user has the capability to remember to turn their phone onto silent mode if they desire the phone to be silent.

That's obviously giving some among us too much credit I guess?
If I wanted to think for myself why would I buy an iphone?

Primavera

TRIBE Member
The ability to prevent you from looking like a douchebag for paying so much for a sub par product?
This.

When I see the shit that my $399 Google Nexus 5 can that the same sized $819 iPhone 5S cannot do - it's kind of mind boggling.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Loliphone

fucking waste of money for an overpriced piece of hardware that makes you beholden to software to set it up.

Please dont let me move past 2007 and the ball and chain mentality that my phone should not be a fully self sustained device.

i dont ever want to be able to lose my phone, go to the store, get a brand new one , enter my email address, and VOILA all my shit is there without EVER needed to plug it into a computer.

convenient data transferring ? HAH, can i use my iphone as a portable drive? HAH

iphones are the primary printers of smart phones, you basically have your hand held until you can graduate to a big person device.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Really because my Gf's 4S and 5 both needed to be hooked up to itunes to get any information that was synced through it not cloud based added.

she still cannot just plug the device into a random computer and just drag and drop information?

and out of the box set up , IMO is a poor offering compared to the android offering, and the limitations of installing certain apps when not hooked up to wifi or a computer is also balls.

so unless you have a new fandangled version of the iphone and functionality added in the default offering that no one else has, no im not in fact wrong.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
the irony is for everyone that preaches how "free" they are from apple's walled garden OS, they'd really have to root and install a custom rom in android to get real freedom.... which is actually more difficult than jailbreaking an iPhone.

a jailbroken iPhone can pretty much do everything an android phone can.

for the record i have an android phone. the hardware fits my needs better. but the OS is second class compared to iOS.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I still havent found a single thing that iphones do better ( other than the camera, but cameras on phones are still a poor substitute for a good camera ) than any android device i use. and depending on the phone you get, the difference to most people is something they wont even notice or see.

settings for applications are much easier to find, its intuitive when navigating through it for settings, you can customize the UI/UX experience without rooting, or jailbreaking.

i think its personally of course a matter of preference what someone enjoys, and if you enjoy your experience being dictated by apple and itunes, then go nuts, but its not even remotely a second class OS by comparison IMO.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I still havent found a single thing that iphones do better ( other than the camera, but cameras on phones are still a poor substitute for a good camera ) than any android device i use. and depending on the phone you get, the difference to most people is something they wont even notice or see.
iMessages is one feature that's better. I didn't even realize that I had it until I switched to Android temporarily. It bypasses the carrier's text messaging system with a free messaging system.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Googles native Gtalk app now allows you to use it as your default phone messaging for text, while allowing for data related messages to be sent as well, and does video hang outs.

So it has the same offering and functionality, i would say that because this one option is new to the latest 4.4.2 update then iphones offering, is much the same as the camera, slightly better, but does the same thing.

and videotronic again voices shit that iphones cant and wont be able to do :p
and even if they could cure cancer, it wouldnt be on the go out of the box, it would be limited to wifi and the software on your computer to properly use it :p

they still cant do the shit i mentioned up above with ease and proper functionality, and they wont be able to cure cancer :p, but its good that you like to focus on made up shit rather than facts.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Oh and the Gtalk offering allows you to talk to people not only via data, but also in the gtalk in their browser etc, so thats added functionality that imessage doesnt do :p, but as i said above, slightly better, just like the camera, but not functionality that doesnt exist on android devices.

Last edited:

kyfe

TRIBE Member
essentially what this thread has become is the I phone did it first but "I think" Google does it better.

Imitation is the best for a flattery and Korean companies are well known for stealing ideas.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Its not a matter of who did it first, or whether its better or not, thats subjective.

im talking about features the iphone lacks out of box, that require applications installed and meager offerings to replicate simple base functionality that the android offering has, as per the title of the thread.

in response to claims that android doesnt have the functionality in certain respects, i pointed out it does indeed have that functionality, out of box, which is my point.

the iphone may be better at a few specific things, but overall, lacking functionality it should have had from day 1, and its ball and chain mentality paired with itunes.

Deus

TRIBE Member
I'm an iPhone user, been seriously considering switching to Android the last few months. The only thing I like about iPhone + iPad is that the apps are better than Android. Companies usually make iOS apps first which are followed by Android versions.

I hate that there is no file browser. I'm getting around this problem by using OneDrive, but even then the app has to support OneDrive to be able to open files.

Having no file browser prevents me from attaching files to email and importing audio files into music apps, etc.

Does Android let you do these sorts of things? Or is it more the same sort of thing were every app has its own file container without a central file directory.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Lol Imessage. First of all great idea to bypass carrier text messaging to save the end-user money except this was introduced around the time every carrier put Unlimited Text Messaging into every plan so the improvement was meaningless (although technically worse for the end-user as it uses data but the amount of dat is miniscule so call it a wash).

The real feature of Imessage is contributing to the walled environment of Apple and sneaky attempts to force you to keep their product. If you decide you want to go to a different OS like say Android and you just change Sims and do all the normal stuff with your carrier to switch phones you will find very shortly you aren't receiving all your texts. In fact, anyone with an Iphone that has Imessage turned on and at one point texted you has a phone that thinks you are still on an Iphone and will try to send the text through I-Message.

You can fix it. There is a 9 page document that will tell you how to fix this this problem that was caused by a feature that in the end does nothing for the Consumer anyways because the problem was already solved by the carriers.

Deus

TRIBE Member
Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive only work in apps which support cloud services.

If I'm using a music tool which does not. I have to go through iTunes to get a file onto the iPad.

You can use Dropbox for most file handling on the ipad or iphone.

Last edited:

Deus

TRIBE Member
Messaging apps are great when I'm travelling out of the country. Whether its iMessage, WhatsApp, or whatever, they are a great idea because buying data in foreign countries is super cheap, while international texts are not.

Lol Imessage. First of all great idea to bypass carrier text messaging to save the end-user money except this was introduced around the time every carrier put Unlimited Text Messaging into every plan so the improvement was meaningless (although technically worse for the end-user as it uses data but the amount of dat is miniscule so call it a wash).

The real feature of Imessage is contributing to the walled environment of Apple and sneaky attempts to force you to keep their product. If you decide you want to go to a different OS like say Android and you just change Sims and do all the normal stuff with your carrier to switch phones you will find very shortly you aren't receiving all your texts. In fact, anyone with an Iphone that has Imessage turned on and at one point texted you has a phone that thinks you are still on an Iphone and will try to send the text through I-Message.

You can fix it. There is a 9 page document that will tell you how to fix this this problem that was caused by a feature that in the end does nothing for the Consumer anyways because the problem was already solved by the carriers.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
my BB got wet and is pooched, not\ upgrade for awhile so i took my moms iphone 4s
i hate the fact i have to use itunes to do anything with this stupid ass phone. i do not want any apple crap on my computer it took me ages to get rid of that shit when a friend would use it to charge their phone. luckily my gf has an iphone too so im just gonna use her laptop to get my music and such onto my phone(she also wont use her pc for anything to do with any icrap)

going back to BB once my upgrade comes up

Maui

TRIBE Member
Good Job BBJ. I approve.

At least when you see someone with the bumper sticker I've seen a few times in the last month that says "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign", you won't feel like a total ass.

Not to mention it's the best smartphone on top of it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders