• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Favorite Breaks.....

crabgrass

TRIBE Member
I think there's a lot of good things coming up in the way of breaks. I wan't to know peoples favorite breaks memories....party, night, d.j. set, .....get nostalgic.....

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Deejay Punk Roc in 1999 at the Dose party All Funked Up.
playing in a arena with huge sound and tripped out lights, my night is coming to a close when around 5am Punk Roc steps on the decks and plays amazing set of dancefloor breaks with some house to throw in too.
being the first time I've heard breaks on such a large soundsystem, despite my tired legs make it back to the dancefloor to bust it out until the last track of the night.

I was a fan of breaks before, but this was the set that sealed the deal.
aaah.... memories....

Shug

TRIBE Member
Big League Chu playing morning breaks around 6am in the Dose Tent, Wemf 2000.

After that, I was hooked.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Big league Chu playing the back room of the drink with donald glaude in the main room. Chu had the room packed and rockin! Glaude was playing to an empty dancefloor.

Prior to that it was the caribbean club that got me lovin the breaks(also chus influence) and an old vitamin 'E' tape with batman on the cover as well as some of the old marty mcfly and czech mixes were what got me hooked.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Oh and I must give credit to dj AJ of Call the Office's Mo Gravy. She introduced me to the funky bizzness and kept me rockin every wed for years on the original breaks.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Hipsterave said:
old marty mcfly and czech mixes
true true.
McFly's As Is, Czech's Str8 Up Breaks, and Chu's KickIt sessions are definately the tapes that really helped win me over most in the home listening spectrum.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
I also think I used to have a tribe big league chu tape that I bought at one of those carribean club events. I think it was Soulution with anne savage and mat c

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
seeing Chu at breakers revenge in hamilton like 6 or 7 years ago got me hooked, and i can even narrow it down to the track that hooked me: scanty sandwich - because of you. (and the freestylers mix of breakers revenge had a little something to do with it too.)

i found Chu's Master Beat In on Napster following the aforementioned party, and later the Radionet mix, and must have listened to them both at least a couple hundred times.

so, i think first discovering breaks would be my fondest memory, but another great memory was when i first discovered Eastern Bloc Records one rainy night, after unsuccessfully searching nearly all the other shops for decent records.

i even remember the first record(breaks) that i bought. the title was Everbody's Funkin' by Flint(correct name?).. it was FLR001 if i'm not mistaken, and i bought it from a strapping young version of Dan. hard to believe, eh?:D

i must also mention that my first time seeing Lorin at Broken Prophecy blew me away, and was essentially what knocked me into the mid-tempo throbtastic squelchedy yumminess that i'm into today. he's one of the most consistently wicked-awesome dj's i've ever seen. yeah, that's right wicked-awesome!

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:
i even remember the first record(breaks) that i bought. the title was Everbody's Funkin' by Flint(correct name?).. it was FLR001 if i'm not mistaken, and i bought it from a strapping young version of Dan. hard to believe, eh?:D
FLR 005 actually. but a great record. the flip is "Theme From Flint", and is equally as funky/good.

nuttz

TRIBE Member
CZECH!!!!!

use to follow him all over Ontario. didn't matter where he was playing. T.O, London, kitchener, Guelph, Hamilton. We were there.

shiftah

TRIBE Member
scissorkicks in the mix @ bluemoon, in oct 2002
it was an activate event
the phat conductor(ithink?) closed the night after a mindblowing set by the headliner
at the end, he jumped off the stage and danced with the remaining few of us on the floor

definitely a great breaks memory

crabgrass

TRIBE Member
DOSE. Those parties kicked ass with breaks and all things funky. DJ Dan use to make me lose my marbles. The one night, weekend actually that i would say stands out in my mind was a long weekend when DJ Dan played an old school breaks set here in T.O. ( and i think Terry Mullen played an old school acid techno set ) then i drove to Montreal the next day and saw Uberzone live and Icey destroy this party at some giant sports complex ( how i made it home and to work the next day i'll never know )

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Systemsound bar - 26 or 28th august 2005 - bassin twins
Guv9 - last year - Uberzone and Splitloop
Lost in Space - MartyMcFly
D-monic - destiny new years

and of course RobbG and Jelo - last saturday.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

djwendylaw

TRIBE Member
Hipsterave said:
Oh and I must give credit to dj AJ of Call the Office's Mo Gravy. She introduced me to the funky bizzness and kept me rockin every wed for years on the original breaks.
I must agree with you on this one. Even after I play on a Wendesday night I still have to go over to the office to see AJ play. She definately pulls out a lot of the classics!

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
was always a jungle head unti Shambhala 2003

Stumbled into this festival, heard about it 2 days before leaving for a trip to Burning Man. Showed up, got some glist cause we decided to give them some media coverage and ooooh lordy,

Krafty Kuts, Soul Of Man (big stadium set on the Saturday night main stage), Tipper, Lorin, Mat The Alien and Czech.

It was like being in some sort of a musical/party fantasy. Good shit, going back this year for more.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I enjoyed the Infusion party a while back at System with Adam FreeLand and K-swing, but infusion was a hard act to follow... poor poor Freeland.