• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Fast-food chain accused of using oil that makes arteries 'extra crispy'

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Consumer group sues KFC over unhealthy fat
Fast-food chain accused of using oil that makes arteries 'extra crispy'
Reuters

Updated: 12:21 p.m. ET June 13, 2006

WASHINGTON - A consumer advocacy group sued the operator of the KFC fried chicken restaurant chain Tuesday to try and force it to stop frying foods in an artery-clogging fat.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, in a suit filed against Yum Brands Inc. in the Superior Court for the District of Columbia, said some KFC meals were "startlingly" high in artery-clogging trans fat from the partially hydrogenated oils used for frying. KFC said the lawsuit was baseless.

CSPI executive director Michael Jacobson said it was harder to avoid trans fat at KFC than at other fast-food restaurants.

"Trans fat is almost everywhere on this menu. By frying in such a dangerous oil, KFC is making its unsuspecting consumers' arteries extra crispy," he said, referring to a version of fried chicken sold by KFC.

The suit seeks to force the KFC chain to stop cooking with trans fat or clearly warn customers about the health hazard.

KFC "does not properly warn, disclose or even tell consumers that they are eating food items prepared with the worst oil available," the group said in a legal complaint.

The group asked the court to switch to a healthier frying oil. If that is ruled out, the group asked the court to require signs at KFC outlets saying "KFC fried chicken and certain other foods contain trans fat, which promotes heart disease."

"This is a frivolous lawsuit completely without merit and we intend to vigorously defend our position," KFC spokeswoman Laurie Schalow said in an e-mailed statement. "All KFC products are safe to eat and meet or exceed all government regulations, and we take health and safety issues very seriously."

She said the restaurant chain has been considering alternative oil options, "but there are a number of factors to consider including maintaining KFC’s unique taste and flavor of Colonel Sanders' Original Recipe, supply availability and transportation, among others.”

CSPI said a typical three-piece combo meal with an Extra Crispy chicken drumstick, two Extra Crispy thighs, potato wedges and a biscuit contained 15 grams of trans fat.

Health experts suggest minimizing trans fat consumption as much as possible. Research shows it raises LDL or "bad" cholesterol while lowering HDL, the "good" cholesterol.

Last week, No. 3 U.S. burger chain Wendy's International Inc. said it would significantly cut trans fat from its menu by switching to a new blend of corn and soy oil for french fries and breaded chicken items. McDonald's Corp. vowed in 2002 to remove trans fat from its french fries in the United States but has not done so.

Yum Brands, based in Louisville, Ky., also operates the Pizza Hut and Taco Bell fast-food chains.

MSNBC.com staff contributed to this story.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Who doesn't eat at KFC expecting to injest all manner of chemicals and artery-clogging fat?

"Oh, I think I'll have the coleslaw that is a shade of green found nowhere in nature"

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
'its unsuspecting consumers'

Caveat Emptor

The consumer walking into Kentucy Fried Chicken knows damn well that they are eating something stupid high in fat. They can physically feel this as they eat it and see it on there fingers and hands. The consumer sure as hell isn't unsuspecting they are fully aware of what they are ordering.

I dislike KFC, I can't eat the stuff without getting really ill. But to say that this is to protect consumers is a load of shit, its clearly just a money grab by lawyers.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
the text ads in this thread are great! one for getting a kfc franchise, the other for "olive oil massage". Maybe KFC should brand extend into massage oils.

"honey, you smell like chicken"

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Techno Ringtones
Available Now And For Free. Send It To Your Cell Phone Now!

hmmmm only availible in the USA. Good job google way to target the right market!

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
There are 2 places I dont ever expect to be healthy,...

KFC and Burger King.

Fuck... any combo that can be paired up with a poutine aint gonna do any good for your arteries no matter what kind of oil you use.

AshG

Ditto Much said:
Caveat Emptor

The consumer walking into Kentucy Fried Chicken knows damn well that they are eating something stupid high in fat. They can physically feel this as they eat it and see it on there fingers and hands. The consumer sure as hell isn't unsuspecting they are fully aware of what they are ordering.

I dislike KFC, I can't eat the stuff without getting really ill. But to say that this is to protect consumers is a load of shit, its clearly just a money grab by lawyers.

agreed!

that said, KFC has technically not stood for an acronym of any kind for several years now; the word "fried" is not part of their brand name anymore.

dyad

TRIBE Member
that reminds me of how good the fries are at Falafal Queen at Queen and Bathurst.

I asked the lady once why they were so good and she told me it was the beef fat they fry them in.

since then i have always preferred to splurge on *real thing* bad food rather than a pseudo-healthy alternative. so much more satisfying in the short and long run

AshG

Ditto Much said:
Actually they have switched back already in most markets. They're keeping both but the idea of dropping fried didn't really go anywhere.

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/brandnewday/archives/2005/04/kfc_takes_back.html

Who knew?!
Actually now that i read that article i'm not so sure they ever did make the switch back. Its all worded that the change is coming, and no where on any kfc site is the "fried" part mentioned... except as a google search topic for the sites themselves.

Hmmm.... or should i say, Mmmm mmm!

KillaLadY said:
I thought that you can't sue these fast food joints anymore with the reasoning that they made you fat?

you're probably remembering that mcdonald's lawsuit last year that got turned down. doesn't stop anyone from sueing anew!

deevah

TRIBE Member
KFC is so good
their sandwiches are good
the chicken is shit but the skin is so yummy
their nuggets use to be awesome but they've changed the reciped a few yrs back
popcorn chicken rawks - especially when they had bbq popcorn chicken

i'm perfectly content with not allowing a morsel of their sides pass through my lips - hate the coleslaw, hate the macaroni salad, the potato salad is tolerable but it use to be better

i <3 KFC

the fat is what makes it taste good
but to think that i use to eat a bucket by myself is pretty nauseating

JLV

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
"Oh, I think I'll have the coleslaw that is a shade of green found nowhere in nature"

I think that is one of the funniest things I've ever read! :D

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
The Watcher said:
There are 2 places I dont ever expect to be healthy,...

KFC and Burger King.

Yeah it's not exactly a hard equation, is it?

It blows my mind when people put on their outrage when they find out fast food is bad for them. Maybe instead of worrying about their cholestoral they should worry about the fact that they're fucking retarded.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
As much as I don't like eating KFC, that's a fucking hot idea alex. Can you imagine if it were paired with a bacon bra?

Holy fuck, dude. Bacon flavoured lube.

We could be billionaires.