• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Fashionable consumption, meet ethical consumption..

OTIS

TRIBE Member
MIT dude creates a prototype device that somewhat determines the background of products.
======================

Corporate Fallout Detector
The Corporate Fallout Detector reads barcodes off of consumer products, and makes a noise similar to a gieger counter of varying intensity based on the social or environmental record of the company that produces the product.

I came up with the numbers by correlating several online bardcode databases with a pollution database and a corporate ethics database. Of course the data produced by this approach is subjective and inaccurate at times, but that's part of why I built it: It's difficult for consumers trace corporate actions through the maze of corporate ownership, and find who is really responsible. This helps create an environment where consumers have difficulty making informed purchasing decisions.... without the use of "special tools"...

Watch the video here

zoo

TRIBE Member
this is pretty stupid

only companies with well known records of environmental "terrar" will show up

i can tell what the difference between a phillip morris product is vs a roll of duct tape, i don't need an iron shaped beeping scanner to go buckwild when it rolls over a kraft barcode ...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
this is pretty stupid

only companies with well known records of environmental "terrar" will show up

i can tell what the difference between a phillip morris product is vs a roll of duct tape, i don't need an iron shaped beeping scanner to go buckwild when it rolls over a kraft barcode ...
Cool, I'm glad you know it.

I think it's an excellent idea..

P.S. can you tell me what produce is genetically modified? I'm kinda having trouble.. maybe I should take you shopping.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
What understand you don't?
I just think the video was dumb and the fact it's not 100%.. so you know :D

But it'd be cooler if the sound it made was different...

"DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!"

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
I just think the video was dumb and the fact it's not 100%.. so you know :D

But it'd be cooler if the sound it made was different...

"DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!"
Well it's made to give you a better idea, it's admittedly not perfect, and the above is just a prototype. Pointing out it's obvious clunky cumbersome design is pointless.

zoo

TRIBE Member
I came up with the numbers by correlating several online bardcode databases with a pollution database and a corporate ethics database
it says nothing about GM products, just companies with high pollution statistics and subjective "ethics" claims

it's a great idea, but again, a minimal amount of knowledge of the world's largest companies will give you the same insight

and the last time i checked, my tomatoes didn't have barcodes on them ...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
it says nothing about GM products, just companies with high pollution statistics and subjective "ethics" claims

it's a great idea, but again, a minimal amount of knowledge of the world's largest companies will give you the same insight

and the last time i checked, my tomatoes didn't have barcodes on them ...
Yeap.. and you know this would NEVER adapt into anything more concrete, or evolved. Damn those MIT inventions never go ANYWHERE!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I think it's a fantastic idea. And a good wake up call for *some* people.

The rest can continue sleeping.

;)

defazman

TRIBE Member
I think that's pretty interesting, but nothing can replace good old consumer research.

I can just see someone scanning a Microsoft product and that device would explode.

kat

TRIBE Member
haha i'd love to go grocery shopping with one of those things

beep beep BEEP BEEP beep bEEP beep BEEP BEEP

i'd take it with me everywhere

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
I think that's pretty interesting, but nothing can replace good old consumer research.

I can just see someone scanning a Microsoft product and that device would explode.
I think it'd be fun to scan clothes with the thing: " *Bleep* Bleep* this dress was made by a 5 year old for 10 cents an hour* bleep bleep* "
-J
Good idea, just needs to be tweeeked..

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by chipotle
Interesting idea.. thanks for the link.

I agree with zoo.

I will check the video later on.
that should say: I agree with zoo... in certain points mentioned above.

Not completly.

There are some products that with some consumer knowledge a person would be able to know if they are supporting a company with a terrible record. Like monstato or philip morris etc etc..

However, personally I think this is an interesting idea..and I am not refuting its validity just saying that by informing yourself about the products that you buy you can start to make better choices. My mother doesn't usually buy canned goods.. for example.. beans tha are preserved are less favourable in my house than beans that you can buy and soak in water and then prepare them. It takes longer to cook but the taste is actually better since you have more to do with the process of the actuall preparation. Same with with lentils, green beans, none of that frozen stuff from the supermarket... like coliflower, carrots, brocoli etc etc.
anyways, my point is that you have better chances at beating preservatives if you go natural and you buy fresh products instead of canned goods and ready made stuff.

And the few canned goods that you buy... search who makes them and if there is an alternative..I guess.

I like balsamic vinagrette oil..newman's own... charitable organization founded by paul newman.

Last edited:

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Ok lets get overly technical about this.

Ok no lets not actually, I think most people are missing the point maybe. It's not meant to be the 'be all and end all' of corruption detection, it's simply the idea of someone using existing knowledge saying we're taking your technology and gearing it against you.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by catilyst
It's not meant to be the 'be all and end all' of corruption detection, it's simply the idea of someone using existing knowledge saying we're taking your technology and gearing it against you.
finally someone said what i would have said had i not been distracted :)