1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Fantino replaced as OPP chief

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Jul 7, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Robert Benzie Queen’s Park Bureau Chief - Toronto Star

A popular deputy will succeed the controversial Julian Fantino as commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police next month.

Premier Dalton McGuinty announced Wednesday that Chris Lewis, a 32-year OPP veteran who is currently deputy commissioner of operations, will replace the retired Fantino on Aug. 1.

“I want to congratulate Deputy Commissioner Lewis for a lifetime of outstanding service that has culminated in becoming our newest OPP commissioner,” McGuinty said at Queen’s Park.

Lewis, who was appointed a deputy in 2007 by Fantino, began his policing career in 1978 in the remote Kapuskasing detachment and is well-regarded by his fellow officers.

He oversaw the creation of the OPP’s aboriginal policing bureau and has studied aboriginal government and law, which may be helpful in the standoff with natives in Caledonia that has dogged the government since 2006.

Fantino, a former chief of the forces in Toronto, York Region, and London, presided over the provincial police for almost four years and inherited the complicated Caledonia debacle from his predecessor.

While popular with the rank-and-file – he often ticketed speeders while driving from his Woodbridge home to OPP headquarters in Orillia – Fantino’s efforts to defuse tensions in Caledonia and his dealings with the Special Investigations Unit, which probes fatal police incidents, sometimes landed him in hot water.

Sources say Lewis – who bested fellow OPP deputy Larry Beechey and Toronto Police deputy chief Tony Warr for the top job – will likely maintain a lower profile.

McGuinty, however, praised Fantino for “all he has done to uphold the law and keep Ontario’s families safe.”

Lewis, who will be the 13th OPP commissioner in the service’s 101-year history, will run a force with 5,900 uniformed officers, 1,800 civilian employees and 850 auxiliary members.

Does this mean Fantino is being penalized at last, or are they just clearing his schedule so he can run for political office?

2. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

This is too quiet an exit for Fantino. Something's up for sure. I do however support his decision to paint OPP cars black and white. They look pretty badass.

3. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

This is great news for me! Fantino was a very good chief but the new guy from what I have heard is perfect.

Considering I am applying to the OPP in two months this is great timing!!!

4. derek

derek TRIBE Member

good luck. hopefully, when you get on they don't station you in pickle lake.

5. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

and he got rid of those stupid american style trooper hats too.

but yea, this smells of back door politics and being forced out. I smell another book for fantino.

6. alexd

those smokey the bear hats were excellent! far superior to the riot helmuts in any case...

7. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Maybe he will start shilling for CTV to compete with CP24's former-cop--n-the-beat

8. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

When Fantino's contract was extended to include the G20 it stipulated his successor was to be named within the following the summit. Save those conspiracy theories for another thread.

9. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

It was actually announced last year that Fantino would step down after the G8 & G20.

Fantino was (is) a fascist.

10. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

And what a way to go out!

[​IMG]

11. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

Haha that would be insanely far but I would do it. The incentive for going way up north is pretty amazing!!! It would be worth it. I would only be up there for 2 years. I could think of it as a great way to save money ;)

12. erika

erika TRIBE Member

You beat me to it; his departure is long overdue. He is apparently considering running for mayor of Vaughan..

13. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

hahah I'm not sure who is worse, Anne Rohmer or Cam Wooley

14. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

He would sure fit right in with the swine currently running "the city above Toronto".

15. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    I see we share the same impression of the man ;)

16. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Ding-dong the witch is ... um ... sleazing his way into a new sphere of massive public influence.

I'm somehow less happy than I thought I'd be upon hearing news of him stepping down :confused:

17. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    hang on, he still has to get elected to something (or appointed to something else, heaven forbid).

18. alexd

I bet he runs for premier

19. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

Fantino is and has been a disgrace to the OPP, and every other police force he has been a member of.

He doesn't represent the rank and file and his only agenda is to get himself in the public eye. Yes, please go into politics so we can add another no brainer to the list.

Thank you Julian. You make a lot of good people look really bad in the public eye (which is not to say there aren't bad cops out there, but he doesn't help the cause).

20. Oh fuck. I really don't want to have to move again.

21. alexd

"First, Mayor of Vaughan, next, master of the universe!" *evil fantino laugh*

22. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

I guess he had to make up for turning the Metro Police squad cars into looking like rent-a-cops.

23. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

very glad he's gone

24. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Yes.

25. alexd

The Canadian Press

Outgoing Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino is putting to rest speculation about running to be the next mayor of Vaughan.

Fantino told radio station CFRB this morning he will not seek the job in the October civic elections.

He says he wants to “decompress” when he steps down from his post at the end of this month.

Fantino has spent 41 years in policing, including stints as chief of police in Toronto, York Region and London.

Deputy commissioner Chris Lewis will take over from Fantino on Aug. 1.

There had been speculation Fantino would run to be mayor of Vaughan, his hometown just north of Toronto.