1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Fan Expo Canada 2010 - Think overcrowding at Guvernment was bad?

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by el presidente Highsteppa, Aug 28, 2010.

1. If you thought the overcrowding issues at Guvernment are bad on their major holiday events, just be glad you've missed this year's Fan Expo 2010 this year.

While I can understand that this is a major event that covers a variety of different interests (comics, gaming, science fiction, anime and others), to say that the planners were ill prepared for the event would be understating the matter entirely. When I got there at 10am with friends, a fair amount of confusion ensued for which line was for what (people who had pre-ordered tickets, people that had to buy tickets, wristband holders). To their credit, they did manage to clear up the issue, but only after for some people had been waiting in line for a few hours. The lines went from the pathway leading up to the Skydome (or Rogers Centre, whatever), all the way down the block and around the corner.

What caused me to think of past Guvernment overcrowding issues was how the event was quickly oversold. Regardless of how many people had pre-ordered tickets, people who had bought their tickets on the spot were let in just as quickly as the pre-sold ticket holders.

I've only been in the Convention Centre once before, and I was kind of surprised how crowded the whole event was - paths between exhibitors were pretty narrow, and access to the bathrooms were pretty limited because of the autograph areas that lined to perimeter of the event only had certain breaks allowing people to the bathrooms. Not really much in the way of signage that would allow people to get an idea of where to go, unless you had a guide with you.

But here's the kicker - they were controlling very stringently the people that were going back up to the upper levels where the vendors were. Escalators were blocked by a sea of 25 people deep crowds that were not allowed to go back up the escalator, while a steady flow of people coming down to the lower levels were continuing to make their way down. The only people that were being allowed up to the upper level were some of the organizers and pizza delivery people, with the odd VIP getting access to the upper levels. It said something to me as well, when one of the guest of Fan Expo, Ernest Borgnine was having difficulty getting through to get where he was supposed to go.

And if you wanted to go outside for some air (and it was pretty hot inside the area), letting people back in was at first taking as long as 45 minutes in a waiting time when we left for something to eat at 1pm. When we returned close to 3 pm, the line that started at the beginning of the event was still there - but longer. People near the end of the line had said that they were waiting and hadn't moved in an hour

Line ups for events and seminars seemed pretty well handled by gates and velvet ropes on the upper level, but in the lower two levels, a lot of the time it was people that were just sitting or standing around, waiting by the doors in a very haphazard manner, with not much other than a sign on an easel indicating what event was when in each room.

This was the first time I'd ever gone to the event. I was told that previous years that it was busy, but a lot of disappointed goers that I managed to speak with were upset at how this seemed like a free for all money grab from the organizers - and that the people that had pre-ordered their tickets were not treated like valued customers because they were still letting in tons of on the spot buyers. With their having an in-and-out policy (which they maybe should have reconsidered or at least thought out better) - lots of people who had paid in advance to go to this event were left outside for a majority of their time. Consider that they were charging $35.00 a head, plus what they were charging vendors to set up in the location, and it's hard not to think of some of the bullshit and concerns that have come up quite a few times when it came to Guvernment's more dubiously run events. You'd think an event of this size, there would have been a lot better preparation and thought put into it.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

3. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

I scored a free guest pass, and was going to head down on saturday.

When i jumped in the car my friend called and told me he was in a line several blocks long and it was barely moving.

Then on 680 news they had a live report saying they weren't letting anyone else into the expo - whether you had a ticket or not.

Pulled a u turn before i got on the highway and drove back home.
  4. REMI XO

REMI XO TRIBE Member

Well I went Late on Saturday and Sunday and YES, the lines were HUGE.

Thou The Best thing about the Fan Expo are the Costumes and MAN there were lots of them. More than enuff to keep you entertianed while I waited about an hour and a half in line to get inside.

I went to the Masquarade Sat. Night and was blown away by some of the costumes.

Special Props to .....

the Dinosaur Handlers
    Shredder and Bee-Bop from TMNT
    The sorceress for HE-MAN
    Darth Vacation Dude

Me and the wife had alot of fun Putting our Costumes Together (DAFT PUNK) and Plan on making improvements for Halloween.

Some Pics:

5. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Went on Sunday, No lines outside the building but they wouldn't let anyone into the building either which I was pretty pissed about because I wanted to hang in the lobby a bit just to take some pics.
  6. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

Hobbystar is notorious for this unfortunately. :(
  7. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

8. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

i've been twice before, but missed this year due to burning man. i heard from my sister who went with her husband and kids that it was much more crowded than in past years, which is saying alot.

this event has a decent line-up of talent and seminars/events, but the crowds are so bad that you really only have time to do 2 or 3 things in an entire day. last year, i waited in line to meet j. michael straczynski (my all-time favourite spider-man writer), watched an artist duel between alex maleev and some other dude, bought a few comics and then watched a chad vader presentation. that was it.

i'm curious to know whether the san diego comic-con is similarly set up, because i've been wanting to go to that for years, as there's so much awesome stuff going on there, but i won't bother if i'd only have time/opportunity to do 2 or 3 things.
  9. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member