1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Family sues meth dealer

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by nuttz, Oct 12, 2005.

1. nuttz

nuttz TRIBE Member

Family suing their alleged meth dealer

A Saskatchewan woman and her family are suing the man they claim sold her the crystal methamphetamine that gave her a heart attack.

Sandra Bergen of Biggar, Saskatchewan slipped into a coma hours after overdosing on meth two years ago.

Bergen recovered but her heart now only functions at 58 per cent.

Her statement of claim -- which has not been proven in court -- also seeks compensation from the alleged dealer's grandmother who owned the house where Bergen took the drug.

source

it's the fourth story down

2. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

Who needs personal accountability when we can sue others for our own stupidity!

3. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Can I sue the LCBO for selling me booze that led to me getting drunk and getting alch poisining?

4. funky_citrus

funky_citrus TRIBE Member

The woman voluntarily took the drug which caused the overdose. She purchased it when she should have known full well the reprocussions of what "might happen" if you take meth and on a balance of probabilities, she is just as culpable, if not more for the incident (unless what she purchased was not meth at all). This is likely to be thrown out of court. If the dealer were to be tried and convicted, which aint gonna happen, than it would open a huge pandora's box...we could sue succesfully for virtually anything!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  5. Quirkz

Quirkz TRIBE Member

I can remeber there was a case of a pregnant women who visiously drank her whole time, gave birth to a severly handicapped baby, and sued the mfgr for failing to print a warning label. You go girl!!

6. funky_citrus

funky_citrus TRIBE Member

This is also an example or RECKLESSNESS, which is the deliberate taking of an unjustifiable risk knowing an event may result from that risk. Recklessness has become increasingly important in the area of drug offences, where people, as an example, are charged with posession, but often claim that they did not know the package they were carrying for a"friend" contained drugs. This is similar to the woman taking the drugs, when she should have known the potential outcome of taking the drug.

Although the charges are being brought on someone else, the rule can still apply to the plaintiff in this case.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  7. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

mmm I could use some meth right now!!
    that would be sweet, hmm ...

8. junglegirl

junglegirl TRIBE Member

haha good to have you back DG

9. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

I've known people to freak out at dealers when they've had a bad reaction to a pill. The dealers weren't the ones who made the pills and no one else had that reaction but its all the dealers fault. Drugs are bad mmmmkay?

10. gak

gak TRIBE Member

maybe this will lead to warning labels on meth...

11. trickynicky

trickynicky TRIBE Member

hilarious, my cousins grew up in biggar. i bet they know this chick, it's not a very big place

12. djtk

djtk TRIBE Member

no but if you get drunk in a bar, then drive and get in an accident, you can sue the bar + bartender.

idiotic imo

13. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

I don't think so. It just means the bar needs to serve responsibly, that's all.

14. djtk

djtk TRIBE Member

or one could drink responsibly.

wait...thats an oxymoron! :rolleyes:

15. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

says the second biggest meth dealer on tribe

16. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

Touche, ice queen. Touche indeed!

17. judge wopner

judge wopner TRIBE Member

as ghey as it is suing a bar, a bar is legally serving a controlled substance.

a meth dealer is selling an illegal substance to someone. but there is a consensus between both parties what was being purchased. if its a case of bad shit, i dont it going far, but
    if he knowingly sold her rat posioning or something he knew to be toxic/fatal which would no doubt kill her then he could be charged for sure.

18. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

so "good" meth can't be toxic/fatal?

19. judge wopner

toxic to the point of fatality or inducing a heart attack yeah. again its more a case of the grey area between a dirty e and fucking rat posion and the intent of the person selling it.

20. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

can people actually use the law to "protect" them in their participation in illegal activities?

21. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

So if I rob a bank, and on my way out I trip over one of those ever-so-dangerous runner mats they have lying about and break my ankle, can I sue the bank?

22. judge wopner

you can sue anyone you want, whether it holds in court is another story.

why would it be illegal to poison someone intentionally, but not if the person thought they were buying a drug that was illegal?

it depends on the intention of the seller and what actually ahppend. its not that unrealistic to have stroke if you do enough meth, or if it was stepped on. so this probally is a big whatever charge.

23. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

I can't believe we're even discussing this.

Someone should sue her for being a burden to society and a drain on the collective intelligence of the prairies (which isn't exactly leading the nation as it is).

24. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Hey!

25. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

you're right, you guys totally own wheats and grains.