• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

false parking tickets

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
So for the 3rd time in 2 weeks I've received an unwarranted parking ticket. The first time I caught the guy because I was having breakfast on the patio across the street and I watched the guy give me a ticket after I just paid for an hour. I ran over, had some words with him and he appologised. I told him to pay attention! Then it happened again last week on Adelaide St.. I still had an hour left on my parking stub and found a $30 ticket on my winshield! And just now I got one while parked in a free parking area between 11:30 and 1:30 with the ticket issued at 1:13!! I'm so fuming mad right now. I dont have the time or patience to go to court because this guy was fucking daydreaming riding his bike around town on a beautiful day (an attendant across the street saw the guy ride off moments before I got to my car).

:mad::mad::mad:

Is there any way of dealing with this crap without having to go to take half a day to go to court over 30 bucks??

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Don't you need to book a court date first?

Usually that doesnt take half of your day and they don't even have court dates.

acheron

TRIBE Member
pay the $10 and use parkingtickets.ca to set a court date. Especially in the case of the $30 tickets you have VERY little chance of going to trial due to overworked courts.

I've got one from November and another from January, haven't heard a boo on court dates yet!

Drop it off at Metro Hall, it takes less than 10 minutes. Request a court date.
KEEP THE ORIGINALS OF YOUR PAID PARKING METER RECEIPTS.
Then forget about it.

I have two tickets in the system from July of last year and this year. I doubt I'm going to hear back.

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Drop it off at Metro Hall, it takes less than 10 minutes. Request a court date.
KEEP THE ORIGINALS OF YOUR PAID PARKING METER RECEIPTS.
Then forget about it.

I have two tickets in the system from July of last year and this year. I doubt I'm going to hear back.
Thats what I do. I have 5 tickets still waiting for dates.

Maui

TRIBE Member
I won't take the time to recant my long story from the other day in trying to deal with a B.S. parking ticket I got in my ongoing saga with these bastards.

Lets just say I'm lucky I didn't get arrested for uttering death threats. Cause that's exactly what I did when I went into an uncontrolled rage at the Eglinton Gov't office. This is where you had to go with your ticket during the strike.

Oh and yes you will get a court date, it just takes awhile. That is if you are lucky enough to get the notice about your date.

And don't forget. There is no more night court so you have to book the afternoon off work, which may not be worth the $30. Specially if you already booked time off to go set the trial date in the first place.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Is it possible to bring it to the ticket booth and show them your parking stub and the parking ticket and show the time differences?

Maui

TRIBE Member
I actually saw a guy get his ticket thrown out by the lady at the ticket window at metro hall last time i was there. But good luck with that.

What you can do Joel, is file a complaint agaiinst the officer who issued the ticket. They will give you a form to fill out, and you send it in with your meter stub. This may get you off and get the officer reprimanded possibly.
I do this with every ticket that they screwed up on now so as to waste their time like they are mine.

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks for the suggestions.. normally I just pay this crap like a fool, but today fury > lazy. Gonna go do some chirping at Metro Hall! I'm also staking out the neighborhood in case the bike maid comes back around!

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
We got some parking tickets because they accidentally issued us a permit for the wrong zone (and we didn't notice).

We brought the faulty permit and the tickets to the parking permit office at East York City Hall and she voided the tickets for us.

If you still have the ticket stubs issued by the Green P machine, you can probably bring those + the faulty parking tickets to the ticket permit office and get them to do the same thing. (Just ask nicely).

kyfe

TRIBE Member
don't think these are mistakes, it's a cash grab and they've been doing it for years, they write you the ticket even though there's no violation in the hopes you just pay

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Is it possible to bring it to the ticket booth and show them your parking stub and the parking ticket and show the time differences?
yes, I have done it may times. If you see the parking tron writing you a ticket run over and buy a ticket for $2. Then you go down there and claim you were buying a ticket when you got the parking violation.

Last edited:

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the suggestions.. normally I just pay this crap like a fool, but today fury > lazy. Gonna go do some chirping at Metro Hall! I'm also staking out the neighborhood in case the bike maid comes back around!

yer a false parking ticket.

kuba

TRIBE Member
So for the 3rd time in 2 weeks I've received an unwarranted parking ticket. The first time I caught the guy because I was having breakfast on the patio across the street and I watched the guy give me a ticket after I just paid for an hour. I ran over, had some words with him and he appologised. I told him to pay attention! Then it happened again last week on Adelaide St.. I still had an hour left on my parking stub and found a $30 ticket on my winshield! And just now I got one while parked in a free parking area between 11:30 and 1:30 with the ticket issued at 1:13!! I'm so fuming mad right now. I dont have the time or patience to go to court because this guy was fucking daydreaming riding his bike around town on a beautiful day (an attendant across the street saw the guy ride off moments before I got to my car).

:mad::mad::mad:

Is there any way of dealing with this crap without having to go to take half a day to go to court over 30 bucks??
In my experience, when I went and fought two tickets (following example: 1/ ticket issued said I didn't have a ticket paid, I showed both the ticket issued and the paid and they cancelled on the spot. 2/ got a ticket but sign was covered by foilage, fought it - no court, they sent someone and ticket got denied/cancelled). I spent 15m each time early in the a.m. at 55john and had no court date.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
i got a bullshit ticket the other day. 40 bucks. i wanted to do all these fighting things, yet in the end i gave the city the money, and i am going to give the ticket bitch a piece of my mind..... i cant imagine how these assholes live with themselves, straight up stealing, and not providing a service to the citizens of toronto. ticket people on bloor st., not the side streets were people live. they are total shit pieces!

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
I watched a parking guy trying to decifer a seriously confusing array of signs on Market St just south of the Esplanade. He was looking at the signs for over 5 minutes carefuly reading each one. There are 5, and the all contradict each other. If the parking guy can't figure it out... He eventually wrote a ticket for all three cars that were between the signs.

screamy

TRIBE Member
I had a buddy get one when he had a clearly displayed, still valid stub. He popped open his trunk, got out his camera (with a convenient time-stamping feature), took a few pictures of the ticket and stub through the window, another (in the middle of the shots of his car) of the town hall clock showing the time (which he obviously couldn't manipulate) and took the camera in to wherever he had to request the court date. He showed them the digital pics; ticket cancelled.

I told him I thought he was nuts, but he hates paying tickets, particularly ones he didn't deserve. For $30 or whatever, I guess it was worth it to snap a few shots...I just didn't think it would work!

edit: whoops - this wasn't in Toronto...don't know if that will matter. ?

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Courts plug parking ticket loophole TheStar.com - Fixer - Courts plug parking ticket loophole
August 04, 2009
Jack Lakey
Staff Reporter

The free ride is over for drivers who requested a trial for a $30 Toronto parking ticket in the hope that their day in court would never arrive.

In the past month the city has added five new courtrooms to the 24 already in use and is now mailing out court dates for trial requests on $30 parking tickets issued last summer, after almost all trials requested over the past four years for $30 tickets had been on indefinite hold.

"We've been loading them up with parking ticket trials almost exclusively," said court services director Barry Randell, adding that drivers who requested a trial on a $30 ticket since last summer, "are absolutely going to get one."

As revealed by The Fixer just over a year ago, the city got upwards of 300,000 requests for trials on $30 tickets – the most commonly issued, mainly for overtime parking – since the start of 2006, but fewer than 5,000 resulted in a trial date, due to a lack of courts and staff.

With such a huge backlog of requests, some dating back nearly four years, it looked like it would never be cleared up, which emboldened people to request a trial on the chance it would never happen.

But after a 2008 report to city council said more courtrooms were essential, Randell said four new courtrooms were created at 70 Centre St., near Dundas St. and University Ave., which opened on July 6, and a fifth was recently opened at 1530 Markham Rd. in Scarborough.

The new courtrooms can handle a total of 125,000 trials annually, he said, and will be used to clear part of the backlog of trial requests for $30 tickets, particularly those made since the start of 2008.

That still leaves more than 100,000 trial requests from 2006 and 2007 outstanding.

Randell conceded a year ago that it would be hard to hold credible trials on parking tickets issued that long ago, noting that parking enforcement officers leave and people may have changed addresses.

Is there any chance those requests could still come to trial?

"That's a good question," he said. "It's something we're still discussing with our parking ticket staff."

In other words, drivers still waiting for a court date on a ticket issued more than two years ago will likely slip the noose.
http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/675698