1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Fallout 3?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by praktik, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known TRIBEr

I haven't played Morrowind but even if F3 is nothing more than a modern(ish) skin for that game, that would be good enough for me. I just can't be bothered with fantasy-based games, and I feel like too many RPG's fall back on that style of world. To play a deep, engrossing RPG where the characters can carry guns instead of swords, use technology instead of magic, etc. was really refreshing. I never understood why I need to frolic with elves to get a deep RPG experience!

2. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

blame lord of the rings and anything tolkin wrote.

3. docta seuss

docta seuss TRIBE Member

The supernerd in me would love to see a George R.R. Martin-influenced Morrowind style RPG.

Light on elves, heavy on medieval politics and combat. :eek:

4. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Same reason as flashy why I like Fallout 3 so much... because it doesn't follow your typical RPG. Also I like the mix of missions they implemented in the game they never get boring.

5. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

I've just started on this game this past week and I have a question. If I start dicking around other buildings, say the comic book building or the super market, before actually continuing onto my main quests. Does it ruin the chances of opening up other quests that take place in those buildings? No spoilers pls!

6. Flashy_McFlash

I don't think so...Enemies will respawn and unless you start wiping out pivotal characters (you usually know when you're doing this) you should be fine.

7. bkxb

bkxb TRIBE Member

Yes, you should be fine. Should you happen to stumble upon a key character, it'll just initiate that quest. You should feel free to explore as much as possible.

General note: if you haven't bought any of the DLC yet (and own a 360), I recommend trading it in now to Futureshop, which I think still gives $40 credit. Reason being: the GOTY edition (with $50 worth of DLC, and the game itself) is coming out in early November, likely at standard retail price.

8. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

You need to play Mount & Blade then good sir.

9. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

Holy shit, there's someone else on Tribe who's discovered this game?

It's become my end of Summer time-waster. Few can withstand the might of my Khergit army, hon hon hon.

10. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Fack, over 2 weeks playing this game and I still have yet to do a single mission haha. This game definitely brings out the tunnel rat in me.

11. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Part of me wants to re-play FO3 - when I sold my PS3, my save-games went with it. I want to play again to have a character built up again when the DLC get's released for the PS3.

I just remember how time-consuming the game became for me, maybe best to wait until the winter.

12. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

They're releasing a 'Game of the Year' edition in the late Fall that will run about $60-$70 and include the original game and all the expansions.

I'm considering trading in my copy from last year and picking up this version. The DLC alone will run you at least $50.

Also, when the DLC finally comes to the PS3, it'll be 'Broken Sword' first, then 'Operation Anchorage' and 'The Pitt' at the same time, with 'Point Lookout' and 'Mothership Zeta' coming last. That's a bit better than the release schedule for the 360/PC, which dropped 'Broken Sword' after 'Operation Anchorage' and 'The Pitt'.

13. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Hmm maybe I will sell it now then, and wait for that version. GOTY comes out in Oct looks like, but will all the expansion packs be ready. Don't tell me it's still DLC

14. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

That's the word across the interweb, rawd. And when has the interweb ever lied to you?

15. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

You mean Julie F 19 isn't actually bored, half naked and lives just down the street from me. FRAK

16. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

I fired up an old, low-level save from January the other night - and I'm hooked, again.

Found Grady in the fire ant metro, and then 86'd Lug-Nut when he tried to steal my newly discovered Naughty Nightwear. Took the pj's all the way to Roland in Girdershade, dodging Yao Guai Bears and Super Mutant Brutes along the way.

And while wander through East DC, I stumbled across a 'Talon Mercenary Camp' in a building. I never knew those existed!

17. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

So I sold my copy to grab the goatee version whenever it does come out... I miss it already , tear... but I would prefer all the DLC on Blu vs. downloading all that crap

18. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

Wow, I just saw that Brandon Crisp tag...

what the hell?

19. bkxb

bkxb TRIBE Member

So with the GOTY edition coming out today, and not much of interest until Liberty City Stories at the end of the month, I'm getting pumped for a long overdue go at Fallout 3.

My previous level 20 was (a likely typical) small guns/energy weapons, high repair character. Anyone have recommendations on other fun builds? Melee or unarmed? Does stealth work well? Are there any builds that really shine throughout any of the DLC?

20. Flashy_McFlash

Picked up the GOTY edition today! FYI, EB is selling it for $69.99

With my trade-in of my Regular Edition copy ($40), it's much cheaper than buying the packs individually.

21. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

stealth/unarmed = fun times

this is what i did in order to make my tank of an unarmed character.

step 1: walk out of valt
    step 2: go up behind vault, kill deathclaw. It can be done. In fact, i did it with the 10 mm gun you got from the vault. It also helped that i was on a rock and the death claw couldnt kill me. Pick up the deathclaw corpse hand.
    step 3: walk all the way to the south west corner of the map. You will pass girdershade (the nuka cola quest chick) and end up in a campground. there's another death claw, and inside a camper is the deathclaw gauntlet recipe.
    step 4: profit. You are now a mass murdering motherfucker at approx lvl 4.

further steps include taking all the quests that add perks to your toughness. Oassis quest line, the fire ants... ect ect. Take any quests that give you bonus perks. Oh yea, dreamcrusher is good too (convince the bitch to stop writing the wasteland survival guide book).

you really wont need any other 'unarmed' weapon than the deathclaw gauntlet. Sure, there are more powerful weapons. But none of those weapons ignore armor ;)

22. Flashy_McFlash

Just posted to the PS3 thread but is anyone else having this issue?

What's with Bethesda and bugs? It seems like everything other than the main F3 game has been buggy as shit.

23. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

24. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

I tried to do this last week and the TIV had gone done to $14

Now I'm thinking of just replaying and d/l the additional content as I go. Boourns.

25. Flashy_McFlash

Yup, I figured. I jumped on it a few weeks ago and the dude said I was lucky because the price was dropping the following day.

At that price point it's better to get the DLC from PSN...Who knows, you may lose interest and not buy them all. There's a good guide on IGN (can't link it here) about which expansions are worth buying and which aren't.