• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Falling Skies

alison87

TRIBE Member
Anyone watching this new sci-fi show? It's sort of like halfway in between V and The Walking Dead, but set after an alien invasion. There are some pretty cheesy moments in there and the premise does seem kinda hokey, but it's slim pickings for television sci-fi at the moment and this is better than nothing.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
It's been renewed for a second season. Filmed in and around the GTA, including multiple scenes filmed in Oshawa apparently.

Since Spielberg is involved, the focus on the children was inevitable. Done well, I suppose, it could be quite good, but I'm not terribly impressed thus far. I'd prefer to see the challenges they face, and how they adapt, rather than the standard and cliched inter-personal stories that have developed.

I can find a bunch of stuff to gripe about, but I'll stick with one.. if you've got an alien POW, why the fsck are you not assigning guards to watch it night and day?

Dumb dumb dumb.

There are enough shows that insult the viewer's intelligence, why do we need this one?

Though I do like the conceit of the story -- aliens have invaded, and we lost.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
I will say that the writers', with this past episode, looked to be changing the direction of the show somewhat. I won't drop any spoilers, but certain "milestones" set out at the beginning of the series seem to have been met, and that means that it can progress without getting bogged down in a Lost-style endless goal.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
i saw the first episode (was like 90 minutes or some shit) and i liked it.

ill have to go back and snag the rest of the episodes now. Now that you mention that it was filmed in oshawa, that makes sense!!! oshawa really does look like that south of king st.

alison87

TRIBE Member
Just caught up on the new season. It's kinda fun seeing those Continuum guys pop up this season. And although it's still kinda meh compared to that show and Orphan Black, it totally shits on Revolution, Gus Fring or no. Interested to see what they'll do with it now that the goodies have better guns. The mole storyline has been done, but they've piqued my curiosity with the baby and the weird psychic connections. Neato.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
That is so weird, I just DL season one because I need a SciFi fix. I started watching Defiance, which seems to be the show where all the Deep Space Nine latex makeup ended up. I got as far as episode 3 of Defiance and it is sucking so bad I might just start watching Falling Skies...

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
That is so weird, I just DL season one because I need a SciFi fix. I started watching Defiance, which seems to be the show where all the Deep Space Nine latex makeup ended up. I got as far as episode 3 of Defiance and it is sucking so bad I might just start watching Falling Skies...
I'm kinda oddly entertained by defiance.

you can see there is quite a bit of effort in it all. Except that it just kinda falls flat here and there.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Well I watched the entire first season of Falling Skies, and in spite of wanting to feed little Jimmy and his whiny kid friends to the aliens, I thought it was OK. It is better than Defiance, that's for sure. Guy who looks like Steven Spielberg was way better in Deadwood, and son who resembles Jason Biggs is totally annoying. The Doc is kind of cute and that makes up for it IMO.

The alien technology is interesting. I am wondering if any of the larger questions like why the aliens are even on Earth get answered.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
The alien technology is interesting. I am wondering if any of the larger questions like why the aliens are even on Earth get answered.
only reason we know so far is that they harvest planets for resources. That's why.

.... yea, not terribly original or anything. But that's why the aliens invaded oshawa ontario first, and then all of a sudden they are in vancouver for season 2 and 3!
Guess the aliens really wanted to get a chevy camero and decided to drive them to the west coast.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I was was the head alien dude and was looking to harvest the resources of a planet, why in the name of Zontar would I pick a planet filled with warring, disease filled humans when there are probably 10 million uninhabited worlds out there with perfect climates for some R&R after a hard day vacuuming out the gold and silver?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
personally i think the character development has been very strong, the story is progressing nicely, not to fast.

due to 7 months events where all the new " stuff ' has happened in season 3 that you just find out about as it comes up rather than watching it has allowed some interesting plot developments to come out of it.
i think this show is one of the better sci fi shows on TV currently.

really solid production value, well cast, and for the most part its good to see unexpected twists pop up.

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
personally i think the character development has been very strong, the story is progressing nicely, not to fast.

due to 7 months events where all the new " stuff ' has happened in season 3 that you just find out about as it comes up rather than watching it has allowed some interesting plot developments to come out of it.
i think this show is one of the better sci fi shows on TV currently.

really solid production value, well cast, and for the most part its good to see unexpected twists pop up.

The third season is pretty intense. The twists and turns. I still think there is another mole and I predict it is Captain Weaver.

I especially like that the aliens attacked them during the ewok-like song around the metal tree. That couldn't end soon enough. What is it with sheer amount of kids in this show? 50% of the plot seems to be about parent~child bonding. I want more lasers!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
well think about it, post apocalyptic attack on earth most of the defending humans are adults not children.

the children would have hidden and been protected, so therefore make up a large number of the population.

interesting theory on the second mole, but i dont see it being weaver.

im quite interested to see how next episode plays out.

so many diverging plot lines that can set up so much.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
interesting theory on the second mole, but i dont see it being weaver.
When they did that decoy nuclear attack from the ridge, the only possible mole suspects (people who weren't in the loop about the front gate attack) were Pope, the biker lesbian chick (now deceased) and Weaver. The rest of them up there were killed. I got the impression that even Weaver didn't know about the other attack. Also, he was bitten by the spine gripper slug thing so that's my logic.

I would hate for it to be that ridiculous baby who was monitoring all the meetings from the womb.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
The mole is the VP, otherwise known as the Professor's assistant. I'll bet a pitcher of good beer on that.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Can't believe I haven't heard of this before. My best friend told me about it and I couldn't believe he didn't tell me earlier. He's my go to guy for everything sci-fi fantasy. Been doing the marathon on this in the past couple of weeks (between other shows) and just finished season 2.

I like it. Orginal? no.. but seriously there are only so many storylines one can use. On a quiet night, I'll choose this over Marvel, The Tomorrow People, or Once upon a Time in Wonderland. Way better than Orphan Black really. I got so tired of the clones (Enough already).The cast is excellent.

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Can't believe I haven't heard of this before. My best friend told me about it and I couldn't believe he didn't tell me earlier. He's my go to guy for everything sci-fi fantasy. Been doing the marathon on this in the past couple of weeks (between other shows) and just finished season 2.

I like it. Orginal? no.. but seriously there are only so many storylines one can use. On a quiet night, I'll choose this over Marvel, The Tomorrow People, or Once upon a Time in Wonderland. Way better than Orphan Black really. I got so tired of the clones (Enough already).The cast is excellent.

Have a look at Defiance too, if you haven't seen it already...

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i really enojoyed orphan black i would say easily on par with each other but very different in there story lines and of course execution.

i think that they both have good production value, but originality goes to Orphan black for plot and story line, and the actress is really really good at accents.

but its still young and refining the show. falling skies while not completely original in its concept and delivery is more sappy which annoys me sometimes, its a little lesss believable, but as far as sci fi goes, its easily in the top 6 shows on TV right now.

top 6 being in no particular order ....

- Continuum
- Falling Skies
- Orphan Black
- Doctor Who
- Revolution
- Misfits ( not really sci fi, but really fucking good.)

aside from those 6 , IMO everything else is bunk, garbage or not sci fi and even misfits doesnt really qualify as sci to me as the science behind is totally unexplained beyond what they have described to us and its more super heroish like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. , but it doesnt suck lol

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up on Misfits! I just started watching it tonight. Interesting characters, a great looking show too, right from the opening credits montage. The music is awesome. The English do some stuff right.