• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Fall of a Toronto mega club: Circa Bankrupt

guysmiley

TRIBE Member
Liked the club when it first opened- if nothing other than the fact that there seemed to be a genuine attempt to provide a great night out for your dollars- but really seemed to take a left turn over the past 12 months.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
is anyone surprised though?

i can't even begin to think of paying $120,000 a month in rent, let alone the operating costs of that place, plus dj's, hydro, etc.

snap.

it's too bad as circa was always a nice alternative to the guv and the docks, but it really is just too big.

i wonder what WILL survive there? probably nothing if the rent is so high. my guess is that they'll divide the space up or raze it to the ground and put up condos as suggested.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I feel for the staff who will probably be let go, just in time for christmas. That happened to me at a club I worked at long ago - all the staff were layed off the week before XMas, the place locked up, and some paychecks even bounced. It was just horrible. In some places, nightclub staffs become like family after working together closely, and a bankruptcy is as a traumatic as a family spitting up.

The Lucid fiasco seemed to be way to sell bogus penny stocks on the Vancouver exchange and enrich the sleazebag CEO and his close associates (claiming Virgin's Richard Branson was involved in the venture had slap-chop written all over it).

I don't understand how "investors" could have imagined that Circa 1.0 or Circa 1.2 would ever be successful financially in TO's aggressive and competitive club market. "Investors" would probably have had more luck raking their money into a pile and setting it on fire.

I guess the "I own a nightclub!" claim to fame as some cachet for rich people.

Everyone here knows why I didn't support one promoter's events at the venue
. Mario J on the other hand did an amazing, creative, long running night at the place which is what Circa will be remembered for, once the smoke from the burning money clears up.

I wonder how many other starry-eyed investors are out there, ready to relaunch Lucirca 2.0.....

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I never liked that club - the really weird vibe just wasn't doing it for me, but I guess I am old and I don't know how to party anymore.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
I like the twitter updates on their home page

"circa files for bankruptcy? well, let's go down the list of our upcoming events: biz markie, steve lawler, kenneth thomas...shall we go on?

circa claims bankruptcy!?!?!?! yeah right!!!! circa is open next week for circa's 2 year anniversary!!!! dj martin wright & peyton!!! "

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Oh Adam Vaughn, you always have the pulse of what the young folks like.

For city Councillor Adam Vaughan, Circa's woes signal an end to the "era of the big-box nightclub."

"It's no longer the cool thing to go to a night club the size of a Wal-Mart,'' he said, adding many young clubgoers now head to venues on Ossington Ave., College St. and King St. W.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
"It's no longer the cool thing to go to a night club the size of a Wal-Mart,'' he said, adding many young clubgoers now head to venues on Ossington Ave., College St. and King St. W.
Yeah, places where Adam and his cronies are also trying to shutdown anything that remotely resembles fun.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
For city Councillor Adam Vaughan, Circa's woes signal an end to the "era of the big-box nightclub."

But it's totally cool to go to a Wal-Mart the size of a Wal-Mart.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Yeah, places where Adam and his cronies are also trying to shutdown anything that remotely resembles fun.
Yeah there was a ticker item on CP24 this morning saying something like "strict new rules in place for new Ossington bars".

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories