• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Fall Motorcycle Thread

djfear

TRIBE Member
I find the motorcycle gymkhana to be just as impressive. That guy's pretty nuts though! Rides that like a BMX!

djfear

TRIBE Member
Is physio really worth the time invested. My plan was to walk around for a few days then start light cycling till I rebuild the muscles.

btw. There was no ligament damage just a small fracture, no pain.
CiG,

How's the leg?

CiG

TRIBE Member
CiG,

How's the leg?
Hey, didn't see the post. Leg is great and has been for about a month. Have been to the track already and going again this Thursday. Thanks for asking.

Trying to convince myself to sell the Daytona and get a KTM 690SM for commuting.

Rocky

TRIBE Member
Nice! It's a great area to ride in. Stunning scenery and lots of random trails to follow. I think I have a similar picture from my ride there years ago
Yup. Some areas have patches of sand or loose dirt. I went down in the sand on a tight turn, but without all my gear/panniers. Lots of fun. Camped out on a ridge overlooking one of the main valleys where the balloons take off from today. It was a great morning.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Yup. Some areas have patches of sand or loose dirt. I went down in the sand on a tight turn, but without all my gear/panniers. Lots of fun. Camped out on a ridge overlooking one of the main valleys where the balloons take off from today. It was a great morning.
Rocky, what's your planned itinerary for the next year?

Rocky

TRIBE Member
My girlfriend, Paula, is meeting me in Istanbul on August 4th. We're spending 4-5 days there, then we're meeting in Kavala, Greece for a week, then off to Budapest, Paris, Amsterdam, and London, where I will organize the shipment of the bike back to Canada (around mid-September).

When we were home for three months this spring, Paula was hurt in a car accident. She has some muscle damage in her back and next, but will be OK. Because of this, she couldn't return with me this summer, and now she will be flying form place to place while I ride. I was going to do the "stans" if Paula wasn't able to make it out this summer, but now I'd rather do some traveling with her.

I am almost broke and will likely be putting the shipment of my bike home and my flight on my credit card. I will finally need to return to real life.

djfear

TRIBE Member
My girlfriend, Paula, is meeting me in Istanbul on August 4th. We're spending 4-5 days there, then we're meeting in Kavala, Greece for a week, then off to Budapest, Paris, Amsterdam, and London, where I will organize the shipment of the bike back to Canada (around mid-September).

When we were home for three months this spring, Paula was hurt in a car accident. She has some muscle damage in her back and next, but will be OK. Because of this, she couldn't return with me this summer, and now she will be flying form place to place while I ride. I was going to do the "stans" if Paula wasn't able to make it out this summer, but now I'd rather do some traveling with her.

I am almost broke and will likely be putting the shipment of my bike home and my flight on my credit card. I will finally need to return to real life.
Ah shit, hope she recovers completely! :(

Real Life is over-rated. I'm in real life and still have stuff on my credit card. I'll be in Norway & Morocco in September and feel that it's absurd how most people spend most of our lives at work and might take off for a week at a time on some stupid vacation in Cuba. People think "Woah, you're taking 4 weeks off???", and I just think that it's still another 4-8 weeks too short for a proper trip.

How many km are on your bike btw?

Rocky

TRIBE Member
^ The more I travel the more I appreciate Canada, my home. The only trouble I am having with the idea of settling down in Canada is the bloody two-week vacation time. I need to find some way to get 4 weeks minimum, 8 weeks would be better, like many have in Europe. I need this time to do some real traveling.

What do you do that you are able to take 4 weeks off? Are you doing a motorcycle trip?

I have just over 80,000km on the bike. No major problems, other than the complete rebuild after the accident in El Salvador.

lobo

TRIBE Member
^ The more I travel the more I appreciate Canada, my home. The only trouble I am having with the idea of settling down in Canada is the bloody two-week vacation time. I need to find some way to get 4 weeks minimum, 8 weeks would be better, like many have in Europe. I need this time to do some real traveling.

What do you do that you are able to take 4 weeks off? Are you doing a motorcycle trip?

I have just over 80,000km on the bike. No major problems, other than the complete rebuild after the accident in El Salvador.
Depends on your job. I was able to negotiate 3 full weeks of vacation when I started plus the 3 flex days they give you.

BTW, awesome pics and love reading about your travels.

Lobo

djfear

TRIBE Member
What do you do that you are able to take 4 weeks off? Are you doing a motorcycle trip?.
I was gonna message you but your inbox is full.

I work for a large organization and have been for the last 9 years, so I get 4 weeks of vacation. I've also um... how do I put this... "groomed" my boss into accepting up to 5 week vacations (through accumulated lieu time) because I have a coworker that is my 100% backup, and though there's always loads of work and deadlines, life is more important and I think most people realize that.

Having said that, we could have an entire thread on this subject, but here are two other alternatives: I have a couple of friends who do Rope Access and work in Fort Mac, and they do 3 weeks on, 2 weeks off, and they could always just skip a whole shift and say they're unavailable for 4-6 weeks and would still have work. However, that type of lifestyle doesn't appeal to me. I've also passed up work opportunities because I only want to work downtown (20 minute walk to work from my box in the sky), and my quality of life is more important than money. I could do it better and move to California or somewhere hot so I could ride year round but at the same time I have my life setup and in a sense I'm locked on and don't want to rock my own boat.

As for Morocco, we'll be renting motorcycles at some point, but we will also be hiking and doing other shit, I don't even know the itinerary, haha.

shanekingsley

TRIBE Member
Camped out my last night in Cappadocia. Woke in the morning to watch the sunrise:

I've seen a bunch of your pics and that one is ADVrider front page worthy. Very nice. Ride safe:)

Anyone up for a long(ish) ride to Muskoka or Haliburton tomorrow? I have to work Sunday, so Saturday is a day to ride for me.

shanekingsley

TRIBE Member
Just got back from sweet ride in Haliburton and someone showed me a few (new to me) good roads.
92nd birthday - wow.
Monday I also have off work, so if I can get everything done that I need to tomorrow, I am good to go. Muskoka area?

djfear

TRIBE Member
Shane, tomorrow won't work after all. I have to be back quite early in town, so I'm just gonna do a ride around Creemore and Orangeville area for a few hours.

shanekingsley

TRIBE Member
I was on the 507 and Glamorgan Rd the day before this accident. I was also just saying to the other rider that I don't like riding on those two roads, because of the really high speeds that occur on them. Sad to hear about it.

On a side note, I just joined up with TTSR and have yet to go out on a ride with them.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I went for a little rip yesterday since I just got my bike back from the mechanic. Feels a lot better and there's a bit more power in the high end, since my bike was missing some air hoses for whatever bizarre reason... but it's back firing a little too much for my liking so I'll have to get it re-mapped for the after market exhaust that's on it (not sure what kind).

The death of Matt Huber cancelled a bunch of rides on TTSR so I probably won't go on any of them until at least after their BBQ. I actually went riding with that guy on a couple of rides and remember him, and my gf was friends with him, so we drank in his honour on Sunday night. Very somber evening & Monday, though I did not have any close connection with the guy by any means. It still sucks big time.

Shane, I'm not sure that you would enjoy riding with TTSR, unless it's with a more mature group doing a very long ride, and even then, they wouldn't cover a whole wack load of stuff that you normally cover in 1 day, since they tend to have a long lunch and break at places on a regular basis. It'd be still fun to do a couple of rides though.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
My fathers friend is riding a VFR800 with 160,000 on it that be bought new. No major problems either. With regular maintenance a good bike can last as long as a car no prob.

shanekingsley

TRIBE Member
Shane, I'm not sure that you would enjoy riding with TTSR, unless it's with a more mature group doing a very long ride, and even then, they wouldn't cover a whole wack load of stuff that you normally cover in 1 day, since they tend to have a long lunch and break at places on a regular basis. It'd be still fun to do a couple of rides though.
Yeah, I was told by someone else to check them out, because they have some mature folks on there, so I thought I'd give it a try and see what happens.

I had a VFR750 with around 130,000km on it before I sold it and cosmetically it was hurting a bit, but the engine was amazing. I hope I can get well over 300k off my current bike.