• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Facebook 'liking' etiquette on deaths, preganancy, breakups, etc.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
An ex girlfriend from a few years ago just posted a pic of herself with a baby bump. I noticed some but not all of her friends liking this. Do I 'like' it? Does not 'liking' it mean I really don't like it? Personally, it doesn't really matter to me either way as we haven't been together in years, so I think I will just avoid 'liking' it, not that I'm not happy for her or anything.

Also, why do people 'like' tragic stuff like deaths? I found out that my closest friend from high school in Africa died suddenly, so I posted something on the school alumni facebook page how I was shocked that he had died so suddenly. People actually 'liked' this comment, which I found really bizarre and a little bit sad.

So instead of tiptoeing around the etiquette of what to 'like' or not 'like', I think I will just 'like' nothing. "Like'ing everything would be far to much work.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
whenever someone publicly complains that their life is shit, or they are severely 'depressed' despite their wonderfully care-free lives, I always 'like' the post just to keep them tough.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
whenever someone publicly complains that their life is shit, or they are severely 'depressed' despite their wonderfully care-free lives, I always 'like' the post just to keep them tough.

You are one of those people who yell "Jump!" to to person teetering on the top edge of a building, right? :)

acheron

TRIBE Member
I always thought that given the limited nature of facebook's interface, "liking" a status means you support the poster's position, positive or negative. You're not "liking" the event they're talking about.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I always thought that given the limited nature of facebook's interface, "liking" a status means you support the poster's position, positive or negative. You're not "liking" the event they're talking about.
I support the sudden death of your friend!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
Well in the sense that someone would post "pouring one out for my homey who got a cap in his ass last thiddy RIP" so you like that in order to show support and also, it propagates the post so others (on your feed) can see it.. You know the whole viral thing.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
What's a Facebook?

G+ is growing and seems to be incredibly active...and the number of vapid shite posts I see that I don't care about are minimal.

And hangouts are the bees knees...reminds me of the old Messenger days...but WAY better.

And +1 just means you read it and think others should...far as I can tell...unlike forum logic where it means you are of the same opinion/have nothing to add and agree.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
giving a + to someone that gets preggers is kinda odd and yet funny for me. I dunno....

i mean, it's pretty goddamn easy to do, isn't it? :p

Projekt2501

TRIBE Member
You are one of those people who yell "Jump!" to to person teetering on the top edge of a building, right? :)

If you're posting the shit on facebook, you are officially at the "do it, or don't" breaking point. Anyone with real self dignity wouldn't even get to the posting it on facebook point.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Cri

TRIBE Member
An ex girlfriend from a few years ago just posted a pic of herself with a baby bump. I noticed some but not all of her friends liking this. Do I 'like' it? Does not 'liking' it mean I really don't like it? Personally, it doesn't really matter to me either way as we haven't been together in years, so I think I will just avoid 'liking' it, not that I'm not happy for her or anything.

Also, why do people 'like' tragic stuff like deaths? I found out that my closest friend from high school in Africa died suddenly, so I posted something on the school alumni facebook page how I was shocked that he had died so suddenly. People actually 'liked' this comment, which I found really bizarre and a little bit sad.

So instead of tiptoeing around the etiquette of what to 'like' or not 'like', I think I will just 'like' nothing. "Like'ing everything would be far to much work.

"like"

:p

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member

^^ add as a image in threads when you dont like shit. like shit when you like shit.

and dont like shit you dont give a fuck about.

i could care less about peoples constant updates on the daily drivel in their lives.
if there is an amusing post, or something that someone says that i like, they i may like it, but no guarantees.

if there is some sort of posting etiquette, i will by default try my very best to not adhere to that shit.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I think most of us on tribe are in our late 20's, 30's and 40's. I think one can safely assume posting a 'having a baby' status is a desired event, and you can 'like' it. You're happy for them, so like away. If there's an issue, then don't..

Tragic events are different. I think people feel they need to do something. In these cases, death etc., I avoid the 'like' and write a little message. I know almost everybody on my facebook very well (except for some dj's etc.,), so yes, I would express my sympathies in some way.

*As for G+ (huh?).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
The creepiest thing to me, is when someone dies, people post on their wall to wish them happy birthday e.t.c.

Happy Birthday! Wish you were still with us.

The fuck?

Nothing is more disgusting then seeing newborn babies unwashed, don't give a fuck who you are!