• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Facebook from the other side

defazman

TRIBE Member
why not just ask the 6 people in your friends box if they've been viewing your profile? I'd do it, but I keep refreshing my page and the same 10 losers keep cycling through, and I don't feel like talking to any of them.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
At work I check my facebook about 6 brazilian times a day.

In the course of 2 minutes i might end up at my home page 5 times. Every time those "6" are different.

Though, there must be some kind of algorithm beyond just randomness, as there is a degree of persistence for some of the people in the 6 top. Test this by pressing F5 repeatedly.

I'd wager they "random-up" people who are active on facebook but not in common contact with me recently. This has the facebook benefit of keeping people in a "OH YEAH i wonder whats up with THAT guy" mentality -- and keeping them addicted and active on stupid facebook.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with who's browsing me, in fact, could be quite the opposite.

Mainly because my friend once registered his CAT and the cat is often in my top 6.

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Moez

TRIBE Member
why not just ask the 6 people in your friends box if they've been viewing your profile? I'd do it, but I keep refreshing my page and the same 10 losers keep cycling through, and I don't feel like talking to any of them.
the same people keep showing up in mine as well.

Maui

TRIBE Member
First of all I'd like to know who you know that works for facebook, cause there really aren't that many...
When I attempted to contact facebook when my account was hacked, I had to search really hard and never found so much as an office or contact number.
It also took multiple emails and 2 weeks to get a response via the links on facebook itself.

Also, someone told me the other day there is an app that will show you exactly who is looking at your page and how often. Anyone know about this?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
I love this thread.

About 6 months ago I started to notice that the 6 people who made up my friends list was being populated by too many repeats to be randomly generated. The same people were being brought up repeatedly and some friends I would never see (check out your full friends list - you come across some that you haven't seen at all on FB ever).

I've thought about bringing this up in conversation, but didn't really know how to put it in words.

Over the last 6 months or so, I've been paying attention to it, and a number of odd similarities have come up that makes me conclude that this list is definitely populated by people who are searching my profile. Here are some examples:
- A number of times, I've bumped into someone randomly, had a conversation and then found they populate my list of 6 a short time after.
- When I post pictures of events, my populated list tends to change, and I've had conversations with some of these people a day or two later, who unsolicitedly bring up my vacation, or whatever the pics were of.
- When I post pics from a work event, my work contacts tend to populate my list more than they did before I posted the pics.
- My recent hook-up appeared on my list the next day.

Like I said, I noticed this trend months ago, and started to look for facts to confirm my hypothesis.

All this being said, I have one friend in my list who died almost a year ago, and he pops up on my list semi-frequently. I do not think he's trying to contact me from the heavens. So maybe I'm just looking for a connection that's not there.

But somehow I think the list is not random.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
no not all of them.

But randoms...yes they are.

The more acitivity there is between common people the more they'll start to pop up in the six. But randoms.......they're looking at you.
umm, no. It's because they've changed their permissions for what can be published into their news feeds. I'm sorry but you are wrong. Yes I know this for fact, not speculation, conjecture or through the grapevine.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I work with FB regularly and work in digital advertising. I sit around, (with the team from FB) coming up with campaigns and ways to get our ads via FB ad platforms (apps, display, fanning, etc) to reach the widest universe of users on FB who fit our target--and essentially to wind up in people's news feeds and profiles as frequently as possible. The only way to do this is through activity.

If a random is suddenly popping up in your feeds, it is based on THEIR activity (their account wasn't active and perhaps hadn't logged in for a spell vs. the people you see all the time --because they log in ever 5 mins) and/or they've changed the permissions on their account. Then it is randomized, not because they have been viewing your page. The program was simply not written the way you are suggesting.

stryker

TRIBE Member
I work with FB regularly and work in digital advertising. I sit around, (with the team from FB) coming up with campaigns and ways to get our ads via FB ad platforms (apps, display, fanning, etc) to reach the widest universe of users on FB who fit our target--and essentially to wind up in people's news feeds and profiles as frequently as possible. The only way to do this is through activity.

If a random is suddenly popping up in your feeds, it is based on THEIR activity (their account wasn't active and perhaps hadn't logged in for a spell vs. the people you see all the time --because they log in ever 5 mins) and/or they've changed the permissions on their account. Then it is randomized, not because they have been viewing your page. The program was simply not written the way you are suggesting.
what exactly do you do in digital advertising? development, account exec, media, ?

Because I have also sat around with the FB team and they have told me exactly what I posted.

deep

TRIBE Member
Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Starr: What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become.

mingster

TRIBE Member
i'm totally with stew on this one.

if people who aren't your friends 9and no friends in common) are looking at your profile, or looking you up, they are more likely to be suggested as friends. there is almost no question in my mind about this.

also, if you tend to have more communication (one-way, or two-way) with certain friends on facebook, they're more likely to pop up in your feed.

totally.

however, if this person is now dead, it could be that a number of other people are checking his page, and maybe even posting on his wall, which could pop him up in your feed.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
It's not the news feed he's talking about.

It's the 6 random photos that appear on your profile page.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
I think this might actually be the lamest thread i've read on this board. MY KNOWLEDGE OF FACEBOOK IS UTTERLY ASTOUNDING. ME AND MARK ARE BROS, TIGHT LIKE YOUR ASS.