• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Facebook Crosses The Line With New Facebook Messenger App

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
First, this is VERY important to read and understand. I’m doing my best to look out for all the Facebook Users who aren’t as tech savvy as their kids or friends. I’m trying to help explain what’s happening because if I don’t…nobody else will!

If you’re anything like your neighbor…you probably use Facebook on your phone WAY more than you use it on a computer. You’ve been sending messages from the Facebook app and it probably always asks you if you want to install the Facebook Messenger App.

It’s always been OPTIONAL but coming soon to your Facebook experience….it won’t be an option…it will be mandatory if you care to send messages from your phone.

No big deal one might think…but the part that the average Facebook User doesn’t realize is the permissions you must give to Facebook in order to use the Facebook Messenger App. Here is a short list of the most disturbing permissions it requires and a quick explanation of what it means to you and your privacy.

Change the state of network connectivity – This means that Facebook can change or alter your connection to the Internet or cell service. You’re basically giving Facebook the ability to turn features on your phone on and off for it’s own reasons without telling you.
Call phone numbers and send SMS messages – This means that if Facebook wants to…it can send text messages to your contacts on your behalf. Do you see the trouble in this? Who is Facebook to be able to access and send messages on your phone? You’re basically giving a stranger your phone and telling them to do what they want when they want!
Record audio, and take pictures and videos, at any time – Read that line again….RECORD audio…TAKE pictures….AT ANY TIME!! That means that the folks at Facebook can see through your lens on your phone whenever they want..they can listen to what you’re saying via your microphone if they choose to!!
Read your phone’s call log, including info about incoming and outgoing calls – Who have you been calling? How long did you talk to them? Now Facebook will know all of this because you’ve downloaded the new Facebook messenger app.
Read your contact data, including who you call and email and how often – Another clear violation of your privacy. Now Facebook will be able to read e-mails you’ve sent and take information from them to use for their own gain. Whether it’s for “personalized advertisements” or if it’s for “research purposes” ….whatever the reason..they’re accessing your private encounters.
Read personal profile information stored on your device – This means that if you have addresses, personal info, pictures or anything else that’s near and dear to your personal life…they can read it.
Get a list of accounts known by the phone, or other apps you use – Facebook will now have a tally of all the apps you use, how often you use them and what information you keep or exchange on those apps.

Hopefully, you take this as serious as I do…after reading more about it and studying the permissions I have now deleted the app from my phone and don’t intend to use it ever again. I still have my Facebook app but I just won’t use the messaging feature unless I’m at a computer. Even then, I might not use messaging anymore.

With these kinds of privacy invasions I think Facebook is pushing the limits to what people will let them get away with. I remember when the Internet first began it’s march toward socializing dominance when AOL would send us CD’s for free trials every week. On AOL, we made screen names that somewhat hid our identities and protected us against the unseen dangers online. Now, it seems that we’ve forgotten about that desire to protect our identity and we just lay down and let them invade our privacy.

There may be no turning back at this point because many people won’t read this or investigate the permissions of Facebook’s new mandatory app but at least I can say I tried to help us put up a fight. Pass this along to your friends and at least try to let them know what they’re getting into.

Facebook’s New Mandatory Messenger App Raises Concerns « The New Bull @ 100.3

So I'm a bit confused about this, aren't you granting these permissions to MOST apps you install on your mobile? hmmmm

Once upon a time, I used to care until I realized I would have zero apps on my mobile.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Blown out of proportion. The App wants these permissions so it can offer regular phone features to you. If it didn't get these permissions then if you wanted to use the features of the app you would have to tap through permission windows all the time.

acheron

TRIBE Member
all of the descriptions of what those permissions entail are worst-case scenarios of what would happen if you gave them to a russian hacker app. Facebook isn't anywhere near malicious. They're primarily concerned with continuing their existence as a company, not destroying your life. Facebook users destroy their own lives using FB well enough that FB has no need to do it for them.

Think about it this way.

You give permission to postal workers to come on your property and deliver mail. Some postal workers have gone psycho and shot up their coworkers and bystanders.

You give permission to hairdressers and barbers to cut your hair. Scissors and razors are very sharp and could easily be used to stab you in the ear or slit your throat.

You give yourself permission to do all kinds of stupid things every day, many of which put you at risk of some kind of bodily harm or death. Statistically, you have 100% chance of dying sometime in the future, quite possibly by your own actions.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Yeah that article is way overblown and is nothing but scaremongering. I've seen at least three other people on FB post about this on my feed and they're all like, "yup, uninstalling that app right now!"

Lobo

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
That guy is not even a tech writer, it's equivalent to Dean Blundell giving tech advice. Also, if you use the original Facebook app you already give most, if not all, those permissions, they're nothing new.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Why is FB doing this?

I suspect they are trying to take on WhatsApp etc but I am concerned they are trying to push us to using FB chat vs messaging, which I have never even used once.

As long as I don't get caught up in FB chatting, I'd be ok with it.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
uhhh facebook owns whatsapp...

Facebook is doing this because it's competing to be people's default messaging app.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Now here's something I don't like, with the latest update it's got it's own embedded browser. Everything you click on a link it uses it's browser instead of say Chrome. There's two extra clicks if you want to open with something else. Not sure if you can turn this off or not.

edit: just checked, you can turn it off in the settings.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Karim

TRIBE Member
Initially crappy for users but definitely a smart move on Facebook's part. Could position facebook messenger to be the #1 messaging app as people start to get used to it. I've even started to use Facebook's calling feature in the app to keep in touch with my friends state side.