• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Facebook buys WhatsApp

alison87

TRIBE Member
What is the buzz in Canada for a replacement service? This was THE hot topic in the office today, because pretty much everyone with a cellphone in Germany uses WhatsApp exclusively. But no one wants their Facebook linked to their text messages, especially not with all the recent NSA/privacy issues. The hot tip in my (software) company is Threema, a local DACH app that features very strong security, but it seems another popular choice is Telegram too. Are any of the bigger contenders (Line, Viber, WeChat) similar to WhatsApp in the sense that you don't need to set up an account and you can just start texting your real-life friends without being interrupted by ads and other bullshit social features?

alison87

TRIBE Member
Does BBM finally just work without having to text everyone some id code? I haven't had anything besides a data plan since i moved here.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Interesting comment about wanting to use whatsapp vs fb messenger because of security and stuff yet whatsapp forces you to use your phone number to register and every person you add would know it too. I mostly use whatsapp because everyone else seems to be on it as well. BBM is good as well and yes you still have to give someone your pin# or have them scan your QR code in order to add you. But there are a couple of nice features that whatsapp doesn't have today. I have viber, whatsapp, fb msgr and bbm installed on my Nexus 4 because I have contacts that are across all of them.

Lobo

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
It is sad. The core values that underlay whatsapp was that they
1. wouldn't show ads, and would charge a nominal subscription fee instead;
2. wouldn't save messages and conversations for ulterior purposes.

I can't imagine facebook retaining (2). There's too much money to be made indexing and analysing the corpus of personal communications flowing through whatsapp.

alison87

TRIBE Member
Bye Bye, WhatsApp: Germans Switch To Threema For Privacy Reasons | TechCrunch

lobo, it is precisely the idea that your phone number is your account that made WhatsApp so great. It's not an instant messenger, it's an SMS/MMS replacement. Here in Germany, you pay per-message for SMS/MMS, and then you pay even more for international SMS/MMS (which if you have friends anywhere else in Europe is a pretty common thing). On the flipside, data is a flat rate, so WhatsApp and similar apps are essentially free alternatives. If we had to create a special account and manually share that ID/login it completely defeats the point.

octo

TRIBE Member
actually the fact that you DON'T have to use a phone number is what if prefer over BBM.

i resisted whatsapp for the longest time because it wanted access to my contacts. fuck off

BBM goes through blackberry's secure network. it's way more private than any other option.

i wish my idiot friends would stop being such blackberry haters and switch to bbm. the new version for android and ios are actually more functional than the latest version bb os7.

octo

TRIBE Member
so i check my phone and the battery is half done. which is not normal. my phone lasts at almost 2 days with regular use. i've barely used it today.

why is the data radio in constant use?

oh. whatsapp is fuxored. and draining my battery more than usual.

it's such a piece of shit battery draining app. and when it gets hung up it basically makes my phone run on overdrive for no reason.

i'm on the verge of uninstalling it. i don't care that i'll be out of the loop with 30 buddies

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

octo

TRIBE Member
BB OS7

and ya i know it probably runs way better on BB10 or iOS or android.

i have a work phone so unless i decide to fork out my own money i'm stuck till next year.

anyway. i uninstalled it.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
write up a blurb to your overlord bean counters with some reasonable sounding business justification for the upgrade, and bobbito's your uncle.

alison87

TRIBE Member
I don't get the appeal of BBM when there are 100 other "tell me your code" instant messenger apps going all the way back to ICQ. The worst part of IM has always been that awkward process of emailing your friends, or messaging them on another service trying to get coordinated enough to all be online at the same time accepting contact requests or whatever.

I installed Threema this week and immediately i saw some friends on there and could start texting them. I also have Telegram as a backup option for my cheap friends. Slowly but surely, more and more people are popping up and we have started chatting there. I don't need to remember which one of my phone-using friends and family prefers Facebook, which one prefers Skype, which one prefers email (or which of their 3 addresses they actually check)... they all have phones, and we all already have each other's numbers because we are friends and family, so why not leverage that? This WhatsApp-style approach to account generation has been a freakin UX revelation for me.

But back on on-topic, i know BBM is Canadian and go Canada and all that, but is there any other really compelling reason to take the time to set up an account on there and awkwardly try to get everyone i know to add my account to their account or whatever? Does it do voice/video chat better than Skype, for example?

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I don't get the appeal of BBM when there are 100 other "tell me your code"

I don't know if other messenger services do this, perhaps they do, I've never tried because BBM is so good that I have no need to move elsewhere,

But BBM gives you immiediate feedback of whether your message was successfully deliverered, and on top of that if it was read. Maybe that's a bit creepy, but when you need to know important stuff, like "HEY WHERE'S MY COCAINE", it's good to know that your dealer read it.

-jM
A&D

acheron

TRIBE Member
why is iMessage not on that list for comparison? even though it's not cross-platform between all the iDevices it has an installed base of something like 400 million worldwide, if not more.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I get that - but still would be a useful comparison to allow iMessage users to compare what they use already to what's available elsewhere. And given how many people use iMessage, it's sort of a disservice to the other platforms to not allow them to show their advantages.

alison87

TRIBE Member
Awesome link, lobo, thanks. For now it seems Germany has decided on Telegram, although amongst my friends group there are also a lot on Threema. Of course in 6 months no doubt we'll all be back using WhatsApp again because of the holdouts who can't be bothered switching, but hey.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
how is the rights to one application equal to 4x the value of the Star Wars Franchise.

This blows my mind.