• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Face care

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
So I am currently using the GM Collin line for 7 months now and I have been extremely pleased with the results. It burnt a DEEP hole in my wallet and it continously does so.
I hear conflicting information regarding face care and I really don't know what to do.

Some tell me that my face is acne-prone (it only became one after I was put on Aleese), so I have to continously wash, scrub, exfoliate, get monthly facials... etc etc. Others tell me that if I stick with my BCPs, in 4 months, my face will not need all these creams and lotions, all I would need is an alcohol/oil-free cleanser that I can use once a week.

Yes, I have tried every product known to man/woman.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I have a complaint:

In an effort to find similar products to the ones the spa used on me, I bought the Biotherm Cleansing Milk. It's SO not the same. It can't wash off my concealer from under my eyes. I mean, I have to rub and rub and rub, and then use eye makeup remover once all the cleanser is rinsed off. It's like washing your face with just water. If this friggen cleanser can't even get a concealer off my skin, how is it removing dirt and oil?!???!?

I bought it at Shoppers and I've used it for about a week now, no complaints skin wise... but I still don't like how it VISIBLY doesn't wash the concealer off. Can I return it?

I<3Robots

TRIBE Member
sure you can. i work with cosmetic companies. they give a full credit back to the retailer for products customers aren't satisfied with if they're majors like biotherm.

starr

TRIBE Member
I use Proactive, but am thinking of switching to OBAGI after reading about it on the bryanboy site.

Yes, I am a trendy whore.

I won't have a derm appointment for awhile though, the Proactive is still working mostly. I'll let you all know how it goes if I end up switching and it goes well.

Killa, you should definitely wait the 4 month period before switching BCPs. But I don't know about only using a cleanser....I think that joy is reserved for the young and the 2% of models with fabulous skin. The rest of us get to try and find a routine that works.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Persephone

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
So I am currently using the GM Collin line for 7 months now and I have been extremely pleased with the results. It burnt a DEEP hole in my wallet and it continously does so.
I hear conflicting information regarding face care and I really don't know what to do.

Some tell me that my face is acne-prone (it only became one after I was put on Aleese), so I have to continously wash, scrub, exfoliate, get monthly facials... etc etc. Others tell me that if I stick with my BCPs, in 4 months, my face will not need all these creams and lotions, all I would need is an alcohol/oil-free cleanser that I can use once a week.

Yes, I have tried every product known to man/woman.
Most of the reading that I've done on the Cosmetics Cop webpage indicates that you should regularly exfoliate if you have acne-prone skin. BUT, its not exfoliation in the senese that we are accustomed to, the author does not mean that we should physically scrub our faces. That type of exfoliation is great for removing surface dirt and oil, but it does absolutely nothing to remove what is already inside your pores. The Cosmetics Cop recommends using a beta hydroxy acid (BHA) product for exfoliation. That is because BHA is oil soluble, and is able to penetrate your pores. Exfoliants like AHA are water soluble and therefore cannot enter your (oily) pores...so, they only exfoliate the surface of your skin.

I have combination skin, and I recently started using the 1% BHA liquid from Paula's Choice. I absolutely love it. The day after I first used it I immediately noticed an improvement in the smoothness of my skin. I have also had very few blemishes since I started using it, and those that did pop up have disappeared faster than before. Hands down, it is my fav Paula's Choice product so far.

I would honestly recommend getting her book at the library and reading at least the few chapters on skin types and skin care before you get into the product reviews. Yes, I know I've recommended this before, but I cannot emphasize my love for her work enough. I have a sciencey background and she thoroughly researches each product and consults with chemists, cosmetologists and dermatologists when preparing her reviews. Honestly, you'll be so thankful you've read her book - not only will she demystify skin care, but she'll knock down a lot of industry myths and save you money!!!

I know, it sounds like I work for her, but I don't. I'm just a really, really pleased customer.

BTW - her reviews of Obagi aren't so hot http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/r...ory=00&selBrand=109&selRating=00&txtKeywords= considering how expensive that shit is, I thought I'd post.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I have a BHA from GM Collin which has completely transformed my face, it looks amazing! But this product forces me to wear sunscreen (and yes, I know I should wear this every day, but I am a very active person (I swim, I run etc etc), so I find that when I sweat, my face gets very rashy from all these products.

kate

TRIBE Member
After going to a derm and a skin clinic I am now using PCA Physician's Choice of Arizona products. They are derm. approved and have done wonders for my skin in the month I've been using them-I never wear foundation now and my skin looks better than I could have imagined (I also got micro-d and a peel though-to get rid of some acne scars i had since I broke out terribly two septembers ago).

www.pcaskin.com

I use the Phase 1 facial wash, The Phase 5 toner, the Pigment gel dyschromia controller, and the A and E serum.

This stuff is kind of pricey, but to not have to wear anything on my face and look good feels like a million bucks.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

undercover_girl

TRIBE Member
Anyone tried La Roche Posay products?

I'd never heard of them before but in the last week I keep seeing references to them everywhere. The first was in Wish where 3 dermatologists mentionned the company's products as ones they love.

I have acne-prone skin - and currently use spectro gel to cleanse, neutrogena moisturizer, and neutrogena dry touch sunscreen. I do skip the last two products if my skin isn't dry and/or I'm not going outside. I am happy with the regime but would love a moisturizer that also had an SPF so I wouldn't have to use both products.

Anyhoo, I thought I would see if there were any Triber reviews of the products...

Thanks in advance y'all!

Jennika

TRIBE Member
I'm loving Origins right now. I've tried a lot of products in various price ranges and at the moment Origins is doing the best things for my skin.

the Modern Friction dermabrasion is beyond amazing for silky smooth skin.
http://www.origins.com/templates/pr...?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY5978&PRODUCT_ID=PROD7480

At the Bay they're selling 3 month supply sample kits of Origins products that have all my favourites in them... if anyone's looking for a new line I highly recomend giving it a try

m0ff

TRIBE Member
I have a complaint too.
Nivea Simply Glowing Face Moisturizer.
Don't use this if your face is moderately sensitive, or tends to be oily in the summer. The pigment gets into your pours and clogs those suckers up proper. The result...large painful tumour-like zits.

I can use this moisturizer once in a while in weather that isn't humid...for example, I might use it when I go to the bars or out for dinner in the winter, because I find that it makes my face glow nicely. However, that's about it.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I love Nivea Simply Glowing moisturizer... but you're right. It's extremely thick. It actually makes me hot in the morning after putting it on, cause I can feel it. I rarely use it in the summer, but it's fabulous in winter.

I agree with you though, if you have really oily skin it wouldn't be good... especially because it's so heavy you can feel it on your skin. I also agree with it not being for sensitive skin because once in a while when my face is raw (irritated, sunburned), it stings.

DAYN

TRIBE Member
Proactive

I tried Proactive and all it did was make my face worse. The only thing thats ever kinda worked was differen gel but it was so drying. I have to use Neutrogena moisturizer with added antibiotics or i break out too. My old dermatologist Dr. Papp used like the stuff they use to burn off warts almost and that seemed to work well until years later Im breaking out again and nothing is working really.
Has anyone used something like Differen Gel thats not been so drying? As well its not covered under my insurance so Im looking for some other ideas to ask my current derm about. She had me on spironolactone or something like that. It was a pill thats actually for somethng else but effects the hormones or somthing but it didnt work either.
I am ok using the Oatmeal face wash (aveno?) for acne prone skin but not the one they make for fading the redness. Go figure. And currently Im not using any moisturizer cause my perscripton for that ran out and everything is making me break out!!
So any help with all these things is greatly appreciated!!! Im too nervous to try new over the counter products so I will try ones my derm can perscribe.

Last edited:

Cri

TRIBE Member
I only use a neutrogena cleanser and that's it.

SHould I be doing anything else??? *clueless*

My skin isn't really prone to breakouts but I do get some zits sometimes..I just don't think I could be bothered to spend the extra $$.

m0ff

TRIBE Member
even though I complained about Nivea Simply Glowing, there is a moisturizer by Nivea that I use religiously:

Nivea Light Mositurizing Day Care

It's great imo. VERY light weight and non-greasy...great for acne prone skin.

kate

TRIBE Member
Ladies, one reccomendation I would make to any or all of you who have problems with your face that bother you - get a referral to a dermatologist!

One thing that is for sure is that they can correct your problems more than any expensive drug or department store product ever could. I'm not a big advocate of drug/department store products, b/c they're kind of like facials. While they feel nice and do clean your skin-they don't nescessarily do anything aggressive to help your skin. If your face bothers you, go to a dermatologist and they will help you really fix your face problems. One thing my doc said to me that always stuck with me is that even though it might not be the biggest deal on earth to someone, its your FACE. It is what people see every day, and it isn't vanity to want to fix it - it helps your life in many ways!!

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I went to 3 dermatologists, one told me I have acne, one told I have hormonal imbalance which caused acne, and the third one told me it's just allergies.

I took antibiotics and took topical creams which made my face even worse.

I finally found a good aesthetician which does facials with needle extractions and after having 3 facials, my face looks amazing. She told me that yes, it was hormonal imbalance, which caused all these breakouts, so the BCP pill, facials and creams are working wonders.

I guess I am just looking for a cheaper alternative than what I pay, but since my face is flawless these days and this combination works, I really should stick to it.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I have a question, the left side of my face is out of control. Red Bumps. Opinions of those who see me all the time dont think its acne, but they look like bites... Its going on two weeks now. When they appear they are a bit itchy...

Its getting kinda frustrating as new ones keep popping up, but the older ones are still there. I have a Doctors appointment on Monday...

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do? Or has had a similar experience?