• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

f*cking cheetah!?

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
is it just me?

i get so incensed when i see that goddam tv spot for 'cheetah' energy drink in which the pres/ceo of the company frank d'angelo sits in as a mock host of an fictional talk show called 'being frank' where he has former candian sprinter ben johnson on as a guest. he proceeds to tell ben he can be as 'frank' as he wants with his answers on the show and then asks ben if he ever 'cheetah'd' in the past... ben then goes on to say "i cheetah all the time". i know ben surely got compensated (heck, he must've needed the money pretty fucking bad to make amockery of his own disgraceful history) but for someone to blatantly take advantage of someone like that... to embarass him that way, making an obvious reference to his past disgraceful positive test for steroids after his olympic win and world record setting run with his subsequent fall from the top of the sprinting world, to sell their bullshit energy drink just crosses the line in my books. grrrr. :mad:

maybe it's just me.

d

Last edited:
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
that is my favourite commerical on the air right now. i laugh and i laugh and i laugh. it's like watching SCTV, except the ppl aren't making fun of shit. they're actually so bad it's sad.

"i cheetah all tha time"

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

But you must have it pretty good, if the most you can be incensed about is a fucking TV commercial....

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Polymorph said:
I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

But you must have it pretty good, if the most you can be incensed about is a fucking TV commercial....

or maybe i just don't like seeing others being taken advantage of is all. i'm only human.

d

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Polymorph said:
"That which does not destroy you, will only make you stronger". Nietzsche.

Now go get a life.

you're kidding right? anywho, i just hate that commercial and the fact that they're belittling someone (even though he obviously signed on to do it) to sell their so-called athletic energy drink.

d

dyad

TRIBE Member
saying he is being taken advantage of though is assuming he isnt smart enough to know what he is signing up for. Maybe he thinks its funny. Perhaps in the jock community it isnt that big a deal, everyone does it he got caught so its not as big of a disgrase to his peers as it is to the rest of the country.

i suppose i just think that its a pretty big assumption that a) he did it because he needed the money and b) he doesnt know that its making fun of his past... its not like anybody's going to forget he might as well inject a little humour into the situation

that said i also think the commercial is lame, but i give that credit to the fact that its a terrible commercial, not because i feel sorry for the people involved.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
dvs said:
you're kidding right?
d

Sort of. But allthesudden, this thread just got interesting...

(btw, I've never seen this commercial, so I still don't know what the hell you're talking about. And I've also got around 5 years worth of VICE magazine laying around here, so... )

Carry on.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Polymorph said:
Sort of. But allthesudden, this thread just got interesting...

(btw, I've never seen this commercial, so I still don't know what the hell you're talking about. And I've also got around 5 years worth of VICE magazine laying around here, so... )

Carry on.

lol nevermind. it's really a horrible ad, both it's content and the way it's shot. i dunno, maybe i still have a soft spot for ben after all the crap he went through. surely he cheated and he got caught and paind the price but to still be mocking the guy. i dunno. guess y'all answered my question... it's just me.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
In other ridiculous new drink name news:

steaz.jpg

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
dvs said:
i dunno. guess y'all answered my question... it's just me.

No, my man. It really is the Powers-That-Be, who control the media and therefore freely disseminate such subliminal, biased-propaganda...

littlejon

TRIBE Member
friends of friends were on the track team with a skinny little ben johnson.
they said that he was dumb as a post. no.. dumber.
like really really dumb.

i am thinking that ben was not the one who set up this whole deal.
dumb.

SJN

TRIBE Member
dvs said:
i know ben surely got compensated (heck, he must've needed the money pretty fucking bad to make amockery of his own disgraceful history) but for someone to blatantly take advantage of someone like that... to embarass him that way, making an obvious reference to his past disgraceful positive test for steroids after his olympic win and world record setting run with his subsequent fall from the top of the sprinting world, to sell their bullshit energy drink just crosses the line in my books. grrrr. :mad:

Ben happily agreed to take part in the campaign. I've seen/read interviews with him in which he laughed about the whole thing. The whole thing is very tongue-in-cheek -- nobody is taking advantage of him.

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Rule 1 of Marketing: Never use a pun in copy.

Rule 17a of Marketing: Never use a washed up celebrity as your spokesperson.

Rule 17b of Marketing: If you are using a washed up celebrity for ironic purposes, ensure that your slogan or tag line does not allude to their failure or downfall.

Source: Rataxès' Big Book of Marketing Facts

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
dvs said:
or maybe i just don't like seeing others being taken advantage of is all. i'm only human.

d

but he did the commercial! i mean, it's not like he didn't know what it was in reference to and he did the commercial. i don't think it was taking advantage of him if he did it willingly. or maybe it is taking advantage of him if he's soooooooooo broke and can't get any work that the only thing he can get is this - i agree - commercial that makes a joke about a pretty disgraceful incident.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
SJN said:
Ben happily agreed to take part in the campaign. I've seen/read interviews with him in which he laughed about the whole thing. The whole thing is very tongue-in-cheek -- nobody is taking advantage of him.

And he probably got paid, oh, what, a million bucks for that stint?

Yeah. He's a 'victim'.

But wait a sec. Ben Johnson! (I really should read these things the whole way through before I post.) Didn't he get booted from the 'team' for steroids or something...

ooo the ironic implications herein are only beginning to unfold...