• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

External USB Hard Drive Enclosure Help!!!!

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Ok so I have put a hard drive in one of these things and hooked it up and now the drive is available under my computer and I can click on it and open it (hard drive is wiped so obviously no files).

But when I try to move files over to the drive or save i get:

Cannot Copy "filename" Cannot Find the specified file..........

I can't seem to save anything to the drive at all.

help????

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:
Ok so I have put a hard drive in one of these things and hooked it up and now the drive is available under my computer and I can click on it and open it (hard drive is wiped so obviously no files).

But when I try to move files over to the drive or save i get:

I can't seem to save anything to the drive at all.

help????

Have you formatted the drive yet?

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
yup drive was formatted. put the drive in the puter and it works fine. must be a problem with the enclosure.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Are the files on your computer or are you trying to transfer them from an external source? Sometimes I get that message when trying to transfer from my USB drive (enclosure) right to my iriver without putting them on the computer HD first.

Sometimes it works, sometimes (inexplicably) it doesn't.

stanimal

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:

This error messase seems to indicate it cannot find the source copy of the file, not that it can't write to the external harddrive.

*shrugs*

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
I'm not a DOS expert but have you try'd copying the files using DOS... I have had this issue before where I cannot see files in Windows but in DOS they are there....

In DOS how to copy all files from one drive to another:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue:

In DOS how to copy all files from one drive to another.

Cause:

Currently no known cause

Solution:

Using the Xcopy command a user can copy the complete contents of a drive to another drive. An example of a command which can be used to do this would be,

Xcopy32 c:\ d:\ /h/i/c/k/e/r/y

more here..

http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I know it seems like it was a problem with the original file location but I promise you it was not. I could move the files I wanted to any location on any other of my drives internal and external but not to this drive.

Anyways I've changed things around and put this drive inside the box and another in the external and everything is hunky dory.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:
I know it seems like it was a problem with the original file location but I promise you it was not. I could move the files I wanted to any location on any other of my drives internal and external but not to this drive.

Anyways I've changed things around and put this drive inside the box and another in the external and everything is hunky dory.

Hmm thats a weird fix but then again we are talking Windows... Gotta like it when a plan comes together... how much hair did you pull out trying to fix this?

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
20040404milopixie.jpg

This much?