• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

External hard drive not working

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Can anyone tell me why my external hard drive will not show up on my computer when i turn it on now? How do I fix it? It was fine before and I've had it less than a year. It was doing this before I was able to format it correctly, but I sorted that out and it was fine ever since, until the other week. The power turns on but I can't see it or access anything on it.

Help! I'm computer stupid!!!

s2ksimon

TRIBE Member
whatever you do, don't re-format as it will wipe it..

It may be that it is already using an existing drive letter..

Try Right clicking on "My Computer" go to "Manage" and to "Disk Management" if your Drive is displayed right click on it and goto "change Drive Letter and Paths" and set the drive letter to something you are not using like "X" and save that setting. Windows will reassign the drive letter and your hard drive may now be visible in "My Computer"

hope this helps

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
ok, tried that...it doesn't show up in the main part of disk management --- just the two drives that are actually in my computer.

i believe it might be the disc that's showing up underneath as "unknown" and "not initialized". but i don't have the option to do the change drive letter thing on it.

any other suggestions?

:(

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
i've noticed that when i hook up my external hd, it has issues.
i've found out it's possibly a power issue...plugging in the external HD plug into a somewhat full powerbar doesn't give the external HD sufficient power.
try other options.

urbanriot

TRIBE Member
mandapanda said:
i believe it might be the disc that's showing up underneath as "unknown" and "not initialized". but i don't have the option to do the change drive letter thing on it.

Dooooon't initialize it! If the drive itself is still okay, and your data is intact, initializing it will wipe out the data (although an 'expert' could possibly still get the data if you did that).

If it's coming up as 'foreign' you just have to import it.

Try another PC. Try another cable.

If it still doesn't work, you'll have to get someone that's computer savvy to take the drive out of the external USB enclosure and hook it up directly to a PC and see if it's the drive or the enclosure.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit