• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Experiences in the Toronto scene

Trillian

TRIBE Member
We've had a continual thread on the comparison of the Montreal/Toronto party scene and people have attested to positive and negative attributes on both sides.

What had been originally illustrated was the vast support system that a DJ can tap into in Toronto.

I'd like to know your thoughts, as a DJ, producer, someone involved in the local scene in Toronto - about your experience; how you started out, the positive/negative aspects, what has kept you here, has the local scene been of any support to you? What makes Toronto more valuable for DJs compared to other scenes? How do DJs from other cities/countries see the Toronto scene? What do record labels think of it?

It's clear that Toronto has a world-class DJ scene. It'd be nice for people to elaborate on their thoughts. Some of the things that seem like they’d be important, to me, are:

- Venues

- The local “community”: music/style interests, level of knowledge, commitment, attitude, size, diversity

- Opportunity: to get started, to get noticed, to learn and develop as an artist

- Support network: other DJs, producers, promoters, club owners

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Trillian

debunct

TRIBE Promoter
the only thing i have learned about this business is you got make things happen for yourself.

i believe throwing your own parties to begin with not only allows you creative freedom to express yourself the way you want to as a dj and this helps you develop as a dj. if you are thrown into regular nights knowing that you don't have the ability to be free with your selection i think it really deters you from developing your sound and your skills.

but i do give kudos to breathe for the local nights. it is a breath of fresh air. it gives hope to those who would only dream about playing the main room at systems. ;)

Trillian

TRIBE Member
I definitely agree that part of success in any domain depends on a person's initiative. I also agree that developing style and confidence definitely builds the confidence needed.

Speaking of Breathe, I went to the local residents night last night for a friends b-day, and this aquaintance proudly informed me that his friend DJ hectate was auditioning. We were all pretty impressed, he had us dancing and enjoying ourselves. He looked so young. He also seemed to be having a great time.

I know that part of the impression a DJ makes is the crowd he can bring in. I've gone out to support a few DJs and it's nice to know that people do the same. Good luck to him.

:p

mecha

TRIBE Member
It is very hard to be noticed in TO as a DJ unless you produce or have a unque sound. The reason for that is the community where you have a lot of dj's with similar style and sound that have better experience and connections then you do.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mecha
It is very hard to be noticed in TO as a DJ unless you:
a: Know promoters personally
b: Suck good %$@#^&
c: Party like mad and network
d: all of the above

answer: 'd' All of the above

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Access

TRIBE Member
It seems like it's pretty hard to get noticed anywhere if you don't produce.

Although i don't DJ, i just observe these things

pkthedj

These days anyone can mix a record and get a gig,but being a dj
is not about mixing vinyl anymore its about your own material,and a sound you create that people follow,there is so many dj's out there you really need to distinguish your self from the others,Than it also comes down to who you know,without a doubt the more promoters and industry related people you know
the better chance of you getting gigs . It all really comes down to
what you want out of it and how far are you willing to go.

poker face

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mike Richards
a: Know promoters personally
b: Suck good %$@#^&
c: Party like mad and network
d: all of the above

answer: 'd' All of the above
Sad but almost true.

Also you need to have skills to back it up.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by poker face
Sad but almost true.

Also you need to have skills to back it up.
Yeah but a lot of DJs in T.O. have skills.

There are doods right now with recidencies that can't mix a drink or program if their life depended on it but they still get booked! Twisted logic but Politics always reigns supreme!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Trillian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mike Richards
Yeah but a lot of DJs in T.O. have skills.

There are doods right now with recidencies that can't mix a drink or program if their life depended on it but they still get booked! Twisted logic but Politics always reigns supreme!!!
From what I've gathered through observation technical skills are deemed important in conjunction with style. is this accurate? I've seem some DJ's this year that were very talented mixers, but produced sounds that weren't very pleasing to the ear. Then again, it could be a matter of taste.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Trillian
From what I've gathered through observation technical skills are deemed important in conjunction with style. is this accurate? I've seem some DJ's this year that were very talented mixers, but produced sounds that weren't very pleasing to the ear. Then again, it could be a matter of taste.
Play for yourself and don't give up your day job! If the gigs come then they come but unless you really go out and network (which unfortunately involves a crap load of unhealthy partying) you'll never get paid for doing what you love. It's a sacrifice but worth it in the end!