• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Excel Help

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
I need to make a this binder with one sheet for every day of the year with the same chart on each page. There MUST be a way for excel to automatically fill in the dates right? I am not writing out "Monday January 5th" then "Tuesday January 6th" for the entire year. It seems so simple, I mean, it's easy to merge from a database, but I just don't have a database of 2004 dates. There must be one I can access automatically, does anyone know?

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Type the date "January 1, 2004" in cell A1. In the cell below, do "=a1+1. Make sure the cell if formatted for the date. Copy and paste for 363 cell.

If you have to put that monday, tues, wed business, just copy and paste acording to which dates fall on which days.

Tedious, but hey!

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
but I need the dates each on separate worksheets, not in different cells in the same sheet. So if I got to Sheet 2 and put a1+1 it will use a1 from that sheet. Is there any way to delineate between separate sheets int eh same file?

shylock_one

TRIBE Member
Highlight a cell (say the cell that says "Jan 1"), then with the cursor, go to the corner of the cell. The cursor should change from a white cross cursor to a black cross cursor. Click the right mouse key and do a drag and drop over the cells you want to fill.

edit: whoops, didn't realize that you needed a sheet for each day, nevermind what I wrote then

Ondie

TRIBE Member
1. Type in Jan 1, 2004
2. Use the 'fill handle' to fill for 365 days.

If you e-mail me at a_t_barker@hotmail.com, I can send you the file with this already done..

PS the fill handle is the small black box on the bottom R.H. corner of a cell.. just click on this and drag it down.

hope this helps.

ab

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ondie

TRIBE Member
let me understand..

You want 365 worksheets, all identical (same chart on each) but then each one has a specific date in it? If that is the case I don't think there is an automatic way to do it.. but you could probably write a macro to do it in not too long.

If its critical, I can hook it up for you, but not till after the work day is over (shouldn't really spend hours at work doing non-work stuff like tribe ;))

ab

mercure

TRIBE Promoter
This is a bit late, but...

There may be a way to do it, *if* you only need hard copies *and* can print the chart from another application (e.g. MS Word).

If so, first you would use the above described methods to create a list on 1 Excel worksheet of the 365 dates.

Then, export the worksheet into a format that your other application can read as a datafile for a merge operation, such as comma-delimited text.
Then, run your merge and you'll get your 365 sheets.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: This is a bit late, but...

Originally posted by mercure
There may be a way to do it, *if* you only need hard copies *and* can print the chart from another application (e.g. MS Word).

If so, first you would use the above described methods to create a list on 1 Excel worksheet of the 365 dates.

Then, export the worksheet into a format that your other application can read as a datafile for a merge operation, such as comma-delimited text.
Then, run your merge and you'll get your 365 sheets.
Darling, you're my saviour, now I OWE you a drink this weekend! I knew there was some simple way that I should be able to figure out on my own using merging, and it really is so so so simple. Thanks!

(of course the caveat is if I can't make it work this way I'llbe crying for help in here again. If I ever get around to it that is. God I love christmas but I hate year end report time.)