• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ex Leaf charged with DUI causing death.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
An N.H.L. star is dead – and another is accused of causing his death. Former Leaf captain Rob Ramage has now been charged with impaired driving causing death, after ex-Chicago Blackhawk star Keith Magnuson was killed in a car crash Monday afternoon.

The three car pile-up occurred on a dangerous stretch of road at Rutherford and Pine Valley Drive during the afternoon rush. The same crash also sent Ramage to hospital, apparently with a broken leg.

He was driving the vehicle and Magnuson was his passenger - and ironically, both were returning from the funeral of former N.H.L. player and Alumni Association chair Keith McCreary in Bolton. He succumbed to cancer last week.

It's still not clear how the accident happened. "We're still finalizing in terms of reconstructing the actual accident," explains York Police P.C. Steve Morrell. "We're still taking statements from witnesses at the scene. We're looking into where these persons were before the accident, and there's still very much an investigation going on."

The tragedy seems to have started after Ramage’s rented Chrysler Intrepid, heading eastward, somehow veered into the westbound lane, colliding with an S.U.V., then hitting another car.

A woman in the sport utility vehicle was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries, while the occupants of the compact weren't hurt.

But the 56-year-old Magnuson died at the scene. His body remained in the car for over five hours, while police attempted a reconstruction.

The former Blackhawk star skated in 589 games over 11 seasons, netting 14 goals, 125 assists and 1,442 penalty minutes. He's regarded as one of Chicago's all time greats.

Ramage captained the Leafs from 1989 to 1991, in a career that began ten years earlier. The 44-year-old managed 139 goals and 425 assists in 1,044 N.H.L. games. He also served stints with the Avalanche, the Blues, the Flames, the North Stars, the Lightning, the Habs, and the Flyers.

DEEPHOUSEGRL

TRIBE Member
Another hockey player dead? It's such a loss.
Especially since the driver's of these vehicles will not only be dealing with the lawsuits, but also the guilt of their friend's tragic death.

So sad. :(

I hate drunk drivers soooooo much tho!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SneakyPete
So happened with Gary Leeman? Did they first reported it as Gary Leeman because the guy looked like Leeman?
They quickly changed that report.....definately not Gary Leeman.

Was Leeman even in that vehicle?

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Ramage sentenced to 4 years in fatal 2003 crash

Last Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2008 | 11:11 AM ET
CBC Sports

Former NHL player Rob Ramage was sentenced to four years in prison Thursday in a Newmarket, Ont., court for his role in the death of former Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Keith Magnuson.

Magnuson, 56, died instantly on Dec. 15, 2003, when a rental car driven by Ramage, 48, veered into traffic and struck two vehicles near Vaughn, Ont., just north of Toronto. Magnuson was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 2003 crash killed former NHLer Keith Magnuson.
(Saul Porto/Canadian Press) In October, Ramage was found guilty of five charges, including impaired driving causing death, which carries a maximum penalty of 14 years in prison. The Crown had asked for a sentence of between three and five years.

Magnuson's family, which in November was awarded $9.5 million US in a wrongful death lawsuit, asked the judge at a December sentencing hearing to sentence Ramage to community service instead of jail time so he could speak at schools about drinking and driving.

Ramage, who was captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1989 to 1991, and also played for the Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens during his 15-year NHL career, has been free on bail while awaiting sentencing.

Magnuson was a rugged defenceman for the Blackhawks from 1969-80 and coached the team for 1½ seasons. He played in 589 games over 11 seasons, all with Chicago.

With files from the Canadian Press

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
no shit. geez, that's sad news all around.

not that i would want to see a convicted drunk driver get off scott free, but it's sad to hear this about rob ramage.

thom100

TRIBE Member
He killed someone, should have gotten all 14 years(I wish it was mandatory), which is too light still in my opinion, who cares what he did for a living.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
tobywan said:

He was driving the vehicle and Magnuson was his passenger - and ironically, both were returning from the funeral of former N.H.L. player and Alumni Association chair Keith McCreary in Bolton.
Ironic gets so misused that I can't even tell anymore if this is the right context or not. You'd hope so considering that a journalist wrote it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Aleks

TRIBE Member
thom100 said:
He killed someone, should have gotten all 14 years(I wish it was mandatory), which is too light still in my opinion, who cares what he did for a living.
c'mon dude, its not like he intended to kill someone. his charge ain't murder or even manslaughter. 14 years is insane for this charge. i think he got a fair sentence.

thom100

TRIBE Member
Sure he didn't intend to kill anyone but he knowingly got behind the wheel while drunk, his completely avoidable negligence resulted in the death and suffering of others.

Aleks

TRIBE Member
^yeah definitely. im not saying he should get a break, just expressing my shock over the maximum sentence he could have gotten.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
thom100 said:
Sure he didn't intend to kill anyone but he knowingly got behind the wheel while drunk, his completely avoidable negligence resulted in the death and suffering of others.

while i agree with stiffer penalties for drunk drivers that kill, I think 14 years is a bit excessive.

There's a difference between negligence and purposely killing someone.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Ramage's BAC was 2.5 to 4 times the legal limit.

Anytime anyone (regardless of who they are) drinks that much and then drives, they forego the right to say "oh, but I didn't mean to." And when that degree of negligence results in death (it's actually pretty amazing that only one person died), then there is a severe price that must be paid.

Alcohol-related driving deaths continue to be a pretty serious problem in Canada. This should be treated no differently than any other kind of serious crime resulting in death.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KickIT

TRIBE Member
thom100 said:
On Law & Order, Jack McCoy would call it "depraved indifference".