• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Everytime I eat a $%&$#& Pig I love It More

tonights dinner menu:

pork tendorloin marineted in teriyaki (on the bbq)
corn on the cob
misc. vegetables

mmmmmmm.....

shawn

Health Canada stops sale of controversial pig drug
Last Updated Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:1:57
OTTAWA - Health Canada has ordered manufacturers to stop selling a pig drug called carbadox because it causes cancer in rats. Consumer groups and scientists within the department have been pressuring the government to ban the drug.

Traces of carbadox can show up in pork for up to one year.
Health Canada is still reviewing the drug and has not issued a complete ban yet.

"The drug is not only dangerous to consumers, it's also dangerous to the people who handle it not to mention to the environment," says Bradford Duplisea of the Canadian Health Coalition.

The coalition demanded a ban on carbadox in April. The drug has been banned in Australia and Europe but has been used in Canada for 30 years.

The drug is an antibiotic that helps pigs maintain weight and to grow faster. Research has shown traces of the drug can show up in pork for up to one year.

The drug is approved for use up to 35 days before slaughter, but there are fears of misuse and at least one example of accidental contamination.

"For cancer causing drugs you cannot have a withdrawl period it cannot be established," says Shiv Chopra, a Health Canada scientist who has lead the fight to get carbadox removed.

Now the company that makes the drug is threatening to sue the department if it calls for a ban. Phibro Animal Health sent a letter to Health Canada stating "there is no scientific or environmental basis for adopting a ban on sales of carbadox."

RELATED STORY: Pig antibiotic dangerous, scientists say

Pork products were pulled from Quebec supermarkets last fall after the Canadian Food Inspection Agency issued its most urgent recall of all. A veterinarian discovered some pig farmers were injecting their animals only days before slaughter.

As a result, an investigation was launched by Health Canada. In February, the department announced it would reassess the use of carbadox on Canadian farms. Shortly after, the Canadian Pork Council asked its members to refrain from using it until the assessment was completed.

Duplisea says the department should have issued a moratorium immediately.

"The client of Health Canada is not the consumer, it's the industry. If human health had been a priority, there would have been a ban."

Pork producers track feed, water, drugs

"We take this very seriously. Food safety is our first occupation," Canadian Pork Council president Edouard Asnong told CBC Online. Asnong says roughly 10 to 20 per cent of pork producers were using the drug.

The council launched a quality assurance program back in 1998. About half of Canada's pork producers have joined the program and Asnong predicts more than 95 per cent of them will be complying with the program in about a year.

Farmers must keep journals of when drugs are administered and when pigs are slaughtered
The council's program tracks all the feed, water and drugs that a pig may ingest. Farmers must test everything periodically and keep journals of when drugs are administered and when the pigs are slaughtered.

The farms are evaluated every year by a third party, veterinarians.

"We have asked all the producers to join by Jan. 1 or they will be penalized."

The council has agreements with major packing plants only to accept pigs from farms participating in the program.

Asnong says in about two to three years consumers will be able to track their pork product directly to the farm it came from.

"We want to have traceability, from the farm gate to the consumer's plate," says Asnong.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Ya, that's right. I'm one of those "urinate on your parade, preachy, fascist vegetarian" types.

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
Mmmmm carbadox.

I find meat tastes better when you know there have been acres of acres of rainforest razed down for them to graze in. Beef-wise, anyway.

Pffffft, rainforests are so 80's.

pork is gross

meat in general is pretty gross

i'm not a vegetarian but i'm interested in reducing my meat consumption

lol

Oh... I forgot the pop out the equivalent of what meat eaters usually say to vegetarians when they talk about food.

*starts acting all gross and sexual about food (licking lips and rubbing belly and groin etc...)*

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm borcolli......... ohhhhhhhhhhh..... I love big juicy heads of brocolli..... I couldn't live without it mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why is the other site down?

Jerry, you should have used the billon dollah jerry name on here, that shit cracked me up.

pork-suga' sweet

Originally posted by KickIT
I have been on a BBQ Pork eating tear lately. I never really ate it before. Then I had BBQ Port fried rice at New Ho, i was hooked.

*c*

Lil' hobo here makes a MEAN bbq pork.....mmmmm pork is sexy....
Oh hey 416-all my meat comes from an organic farm. Last night's dinner was named Fred, ad he was a happy piggy..
:D
_j

yo, I think my private message thingy is busted...

I've been logged on for at least 10 minutes now and no gurls have asked me to cyber

Originally posted by Jerry Whundah!
yo, I think my private message thingy is busted...

I've been logged on for at least 10 minutes now and no gurls have asked me to cyber

bhahahahahaha

Jerry, I think we're going to have to fight at the BBQ on Saturday. I've been meaning to kick your ass for getting me busted at that party.