1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Everything to do with foobar thread

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SneakyPete, Oct 14, 2005.

1. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

This thread is for anything that has to do with foobar. Question? Add-ons? Anything!

I'll Start:

Anyone know how to generate a mp3 playlist in a viewable format (.txt, html, etc)? I know with winamp there is(or was, I haven't used winamp in a long time I don't know if it's still available) an option where it'll automatically generat a list for you, is there such a function in foobar?

2. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Select all, control-C, open notepad/tribe/msn/whatever, control-V.

3. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

just go into dos and do

dir > output.txt

4. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

after winamp refused to run anymore I've installed foobar and am complaint-free -- except for *one* thing:

If a file in the playlist has been deleted off the HDD the program brings up a popup informing me that the file's no longer where it was and not skipping over it to another song in the playlist -- is there a way around this? seems a bit stupid to me really -- I constantly load up masses of new music and delete out of explorer as I go if something sucks..... gracias

5. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Click on Playlist -> Remove dead entries

6. MARCin

MARCin TRIBE Member

Ok, I'm new to foobar, in fact I just installed it yesterday, but where the hell is a volume control?

7. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

There is one somewhere in the preferences :)

However, I did the following

go to Preferences (ctrl + P) -> Core -> Keyboard shortcuts

and add
    CTRL + ALT + - (minus) as a shortcut for volume down

CTRL + ALT + + (plus) as a shortcut for volume up

make them both Global Shortcut keys and you're away to the races :)

8. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Use the aforementioned remove dead entries from playlist function - it may be listed under the playlist menu, or you can assign a hotkey to it as I have. Foobar has an internal database that keeps a record of what files are where, this speeds up its performance at the expense of sometimes loading entries that were deleted without it knowing about it. Sometimes you have to remove dead entries from the database (preferences -> database) as well, this can also be assigned to a hotkey.

I use a plugin for foobar called MassDelete which deletes files from within the FB2K playlist. Doing so usually results in the corresponding database entries getting nuked as well, so dead files don't reappear.

If you want to avoid this hassle and lose some performance advantage from the database, it can be turned off altogether in the same section of preferences.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  9. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

how do I add ipod support?

and what makes Fubar so good over the rest?

10. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

agreed -- i got pissed off after a few days and reinstalled winamp....

11. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

I find foobar is just more focused on functionality than winamp. Winamp *looks* purty, but is a memory and performance heavyweight. Foobar eases back on the aesthetics and focuses almost solely on functional aspects. I personally like the development approach and the focus on strictly adhering to the APIs.

12. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

don't forget global short-cut keys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

13. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

stir-fry, your shift-and-hold keypress technique is slipping.