1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, May 20

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, May 19, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

A Pakistan court has ordered the banning of internet site Facebook after a page encouraged people to draw pictures of the Prophet Mohammed.

Thousands of members of the social networking site have launched an online campaign demanding a boycott of Facebook over the offending page.
    The depiction of any prophet is strictly prohibited in Islam as blasphemous and Muslims across the world staged angry protests over the publication of satirical cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten in 2006.

A Facebook user set up a page called Draw Mohammed Day, inviting people to send in their caricatures of the Muslim prophet on May 20.

Justice Ejaz Chaudhry from the Lahore High Court ordered the blocking of the Facebook site.

The court is to start a detailed hearing of the case on May 31.
    A telecom spokesman said: "We have already blocked the URL link and issued instruction to internet service providers yesterday."

Lawyer Rai Bashir explained the reasoning behind the ban: "We moved the petition in the wake of widespread resentment in the Muslim community against the Facebook contest."

The site was reportedly set up as a freedom of speech response to the threats against the creators of the anarchic TV show South Park who were threatened by Islamist activists for depicting the Prophet Mohammed in a bear suit in a recent episode.

Since then hundreds of sites have appeared online, both in support and against the controversial Draw The Prophet competition.
    A posting on the website of the US-based group Revolution Muslim threatened creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker saying they would "probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh".

The reference was to the Dutch film-maker who was shot and stabbed to death in 2004 by an Islamist angered by his film about Muslim women.
    The Facebook ban comes after a Swedish artist, Lars Vilks, had his house firebombed last week for drawing the Prophet Mohammed with the body of a dog.

from skynews

2. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Apparently, tomorrow is Everybody Draw Mohammed day.

3. ian

ian TRIBE Member

While I understand the spirit of "resistance to extremism" that is driving this "day" or facebook movement, I believe it is misplaced and more likely to further divide than unite.

4. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

5. Shug

Shug TRIBE Member

shit's just rude

6. wayne kenoff

wayne kenoff TRIBE Member

I support it.

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I think the existence of the page is neat - reminds of the "I am Salman Rushdie" button I have downstairs from the fatwah days...

8. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

^^

you think the existance of a stupid social networking page that deliberately inflames people and their beliefs "neat"?

seriously? please do me a favour and go up to any moderate muslim you know and i mean, please, actually? no. any muslim and feel free to inform them that you think taking a fucking swing at them like that, within this context is "neat"

for real.

9. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

Freedom of speech is equally if not far more important than freedom of religion. Freedom of religion is predicated on freedom of speech.

The very idea that someone can feel justified threatening or attacking someone for drawing a picture is repugnant to anyone with a basic grasp of human rights.

10. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

So can we post photoshops of Mohammed too?

11. culture

culture TRIBE Member

I think its neat.

Its draw a picture of mohammed day, not punch a muslim in the face day.

12. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

^^ This.

Anything that weakens religion in any way is good for civilization.

13. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

+1,
    stooping to the level of others by provocation is not the way to resolve issues. I think everyone needs to learn to be a bit more tolerant.

14. culture

culture TRIBE Member

Provocation is drawing a picture of Mohammed?

Calling for the death (and carrying the threat out) for someone who has differing beliefs than you especially for something as ridiculous as this is what needs to change.

15. Ryan L

Ryan L TRIBE Member

people that take themselves or their religion to seriously are people not worth knowing.

any islamic whatever they want to call themselves who resorts to violence relating to any drawing of Muhammad should be strung up in the name of Allah

How is threatening someones life acceptable in any form of respectable religion? its not because there isn't any such thing as a legitimate religion - religion only serves to separate people counter to their own belief.

But the drawing of Muhammad knowing that its going to piss people off is equally as bad, its an anti Muslim/islam religion unto itself. This is like the road rage of religion, instead of being a jerk in a car, people are being a jerk on the net or somewhere protected behind what they say.

all of them need to learn to actually be tolerant and understanding like they want to believe they are already

16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

17. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I'm lazy so I'm celebrating "Retweet a drawing of Mohammed Day" instead.

18. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

It's the same as those little shits with big mouths who intentionally provoke you then go hide behind their tough guy friends. What's the point other than to stir the pot?

Sure you are free to say what you want, but I should be equally free to punch you in the face if what you say is intentionally hurtful.

19. culture

culture TRIBE Member

I'm with you except for this point. We should NOT be tolerant of threats to free speech.

Violence and threats are not legitimate responses to words, pictures or ideas, and bowing to this absurd notion is doing just that.

20. culture

culture TRIBE Member

You're saying its okay to kill someone for drawing a picture if its provocative?

21. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

22. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

No of course not. But a punch in the face I agree with. Listen, I agree that people should be able to express themselves and say what they want. But people also need to bear responsibility for their actions. If you intentionally provoke someone's emotions, you can't expect everyone to take a turn the other cheek attitude and laugh it off.

23. culture

culture TRIBE Member

Okay, so you agree with punching someone in the face for drawing a picture? Im with an eye for an eye, but I dont agree that doing something as innocuous as drawing a picture warrants physical retaliation.

What if their thing was dont wear anything blue, or youll be attacked? Would you agree with that?

24. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

All I'm saying is if your intent is to get a knee jerk reaction from people, then prepare to get a knee jerk reaction. That's why Hate is not protected by free speech.

Is this considered hate? Not really, but it serves no public interest either except to show that people are cowards. If you're prepared to express yourself at least stand behind your words.

25. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Interesting points about the pictures-of-Mohammed controversy.

• Most Muslims believe the hadiths (sacred texts) dictate that images of the prophet are forbidden. In fact, nothing is said specifically about images of Mohammed. In fact, the hadiths forbid all pictures of people or animals.
    • This can be taken to include photographs and television, masks, toys, dolls, etc.
    • Most Muslims don't bother either teaching or following this rather restrictive rule, yet it IS a rule. Only a very small number of Muslims actually follow it, or could follow it in an urban setting.

One has to wonder if all the people who are complaining about images of Mohammed, whether any of them have images of ANYTHING in their possession. Say, on money they carry on their person, or if they have a television in their home, or any books with images in them, etc.