• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Ever thought of running for office?

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
As a regular politico forum lurker, I've read thread after thread of, for the most part, intelligent debate regarding large (and small) political issues. I'm curious as to how many of you are actively involved in formal political organizations, be it an actual party or just a lobby group. Have any of you ever thought of running for office? If not, why not? What ways, other than posting on a message board, are you politically active?

Just curious.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
The political system? So your belief is that the only way to affect change is by sending the PM soothers rather than joining the process and trying to change it from inside?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I was involved with the youth wing of the Liberal party for a few years. Then I started running a scam where I was pulling in about 30k a year, I also started throwing raves and getting involved with club culture. After a number of sketchy ventures with questionable ethics and dubious moral merit it was clear that I was not allowed in the public eye.

I would be that guy who ends up disgraced by his past if ever I thought of running for any form of public office. In all my avoiding of pictures I have one to many which include me breaking various laws or proving I was well aware of laws being broken.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
The political system? So your belief is that the only way to affect change is by sending the PM soothers rather than joining the process and trying to change it from inside?

no but soothers are funny, and if we could get thousands of them delivered it would bring a massive smile to me face. It would also forever stuff Harper with a logo he didn't pick and doesn't like, this could be a career killer.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
So a public life in an official political party may not be in the cards, if that's the case what other ways do you get involved in affecting change? I'm just interested to see if anyone backs up all their typing with some action. I know of BH's activities, don't have a clue about the rest of you though. A good portion of you have *very* strong opinions on things, and occasionally take things so personally that you start attacking character rather than arguments.... having such apparently strong beliefs, I'm just curious as to how many of you actually do something about it.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
So a public life in an official political party may not be in the cards, if that's the case what other ways do you get involved in affecting change?
affecting change is actuall pretty low on my list, understanding other peoples thoughts is more key. Trying to understand how a belief is formed where nobody can provide an argument against it regardless of how the argument is formed. Thus my facination with the seal clubbing threads.

I'm always amazed at how locked into a concept or an idea people can become and I really want to know how to warp that.

Rude1_247 said:
I'm just interested to see if anyone backs up all their typing with some action. I know of BH's activities, don't have a clue about the rest of you though.
Lately I have been palying with internet combustion. Trying to cause ideas to spread in what appears to be a natural cycle through informal information supply chains.

Rude1_247 said:
A good portion of you have *very* strong opinions on things, and occasionally take things so personally that you start attacking character rather than arguments.... having such apparently strong beliefs, I'm just curious as to how many of you actually do something about it.

so am I

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:

ahahaha nice cliche.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I did some work with the Marijuana Party, but that was mostly because I was a pothead.

I also did some work with the NDP party, but that was mostly because my friend was running against Michael "Torturepalooza" Ignatieff and because I was a pothead.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I think the system is seriously inbred. I am so sick of the same main parties repeating the same shit year in and year out. The same dried up leaders saying the same thing in three slightly different versions.

The hubris and uselessness of so many in our own government (regardless of party affiliation) makes me wonder who the fuck put these people in power, and more, who the hell is keeping them there? Government in general seems like such a mismanaged system, and I'll say it's rare that I've seen someone in government approach things with a hands-on managerial approach, rather than a cock-sucking lobbyist "thinking of myself later on down the road" kind of approach.

The only politician that has interested me in a long time is Danny Williams, because he's a manager. He moves and gets things done.

On a grander scale, I have hopes for Harper (he seems to be a "manager" as well. Moreso than the lazy Liberals were) but obviously I have other issues with Harper as well. I don't think he works completely above water... but time will tell that more than anything.

I think a lot of serious changes are needed in Canadian government. I hope Harper is the "doer" he makes himself out to be, and that his changes aren't too departed from the concensus of the majority of Canadians.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
It's a common refrain to say that you have to integrate into the system in order to change. But the fact of the matter is that sate systems excel at resisting change it. Modern political systems are as inert and inflexible as ever. I think Rude1_247 is implying that we're all talk and no action.

To suggest that Boss Hog's soother idea was somehow less than being involved in the political process is just wrong. THAT IS being involved. It's a superb example of civil society. Governments, ESPECIALLY conservative ones, are obsessed with their image. They really will bend to compensate for an embarassing PR problem. Being flooded with thousands of pacifiers, while the whole stunt is being covered in the press represents a severe body-blow to the PMs image. This probably won't happen, but the idea is a great example of grass roots civil action.

As for myself, I'm obsessed with international relations and human wellfare economics, like development. I'm finishing an HBA in IR and I'm not sure what i'm gonna do with it. I've recently become friends with someone who is a social worker for the City of Toronto and I've been thinking about applying my talents there for a while. it won't be a permanent thing unless I can move up and accrue the kind of responsibility that will permit me to make the kinds of broad changes necessary for actually improving the quality of service here..

I've also been thinking about running for city council, but the problem with the whole elected representative government thing is that it's a corrupt sham. It's literally an illusion, and it was always intended to be such. Representative government is NOT DEMOCRATIC. Very often people use the term "social contract" in reference to representative government. However, it is a fact that the original document called "Le Contrat Social" explicitly repudiated the notion of representative government: "when a people elects for itself representatives, it ceases to be free; it ceases to exist."

All the bullshit politics involved in this system make it very difficult to get anything substantial accomplished without having your idea first stripped down, compromised, weakened, and adapted to ensure the profitbaility of someone else's interest. The sham about government spending is a good example.

All the "pressure" to lower spending comes exclusively from the corporate sector and its propaganda machine. The reason they exert so much pressure on the government to reduce spending on social programs, education, health care, etc is twofold. First it is to lower the tax burden on these corporations--if the government spends less money, they need to collect fewer taxes. Second, privatising previously free social services means that corporations can actually profit off them, instead of paying for them. Profiting off social services means providing the lowest quality for the highest price. This is uniquely true for public good, because people cannot choose NOT to consume them. There is no competition.

Last edited:

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Day 1 - Ditto Gets elected
Day 2 - First stripper claims to have had relation with Ditto
Day 3 - First pictures appear proving Ditto snorted coke off of said stripper tits
Day 4 - First picture of Ditto partying all night with countless 16 year olds in the background appears
Day 5 - Essay Ditto wrote while high in grade 12 appears, Ditto's belief is killing all people at age 70 to prevent pension payments becomes public
Day 6 - Ditto Resigns!!
Day 7 - Pictures of Ditto's "FUK U I QUIT" party released in media
Day 8 - RCMP file charges
Day 9 - Accounting discrepencies are discovered
Day 10 - RCMP file more charges
Day 11 - Ditto flees to Cuba on air canada flight AC906
Day 12 - Ditto begins new career picking beans

Look its pretty clear why political life isn't for everyone.

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
I would be that guy who ends up disgraced by his past if ever I thought of running for any form of public office. In all my avoiding of pictures I have one to many which include me breaking various laws or proving I was well aware of laws being broken.
LOL! Same here!

I did help the Greens with fund raising and also helped organize a couple of training events for those running for office.

I may be helping Bob Rae with his leadership campaign...

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
I've recently become friends with someone who is a social worker for the City of Toronto and I've been thinking about applying my talents there for a while. it won't be a permanent thing unless I can move up and accrue the kind of responsibility that will permit me to make the kinds of broad changes necessary for actually improving the quality of service here..
selly,

i work in the grey area between social services and WSIB, i can say that the social services at the municiapal levels are an appaling display.

the social workers corps is comprised of very dedicated and intellegent folk who literally are putting themselves at risk working in the trenches of social service delivery, they are underpaid in my mind, and many have a masters in social work only to spend much of their day dealing with red tape.

at the policy level i think its very much a political game where those who want power to affect change are hamstrung by budgetary concerns and the dangerous political nature of any changes proposed to social service.

this is nothing new but as Hayek would say, the greatest threat comes from those who have good intentions but only ask they be given enough power to make widespread change. the amount of powers needed to really revamp social services both from a policy and operational standpoint is insane.

not to say changes shouldnt happen, but ive shyed away from getting into the field for htis reason, i feel like the people at the top have little if any clue what the people in the trenches are doing, and are more worried about what the public will think vs. the actual outcomes for htepeople who actually rely on their services.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
It's a common refrain to say that you have to integrate into the system in order to change. But the fact of the matter is that sate systems excel at resisting change it. Modern political systems are as inert and inflexible as ever. I think Rude1_247 is implying that we're all talk and no action.
Not at all. I'm asking if you are, not telling you you are.

To suggest that Boss Hog's soother idea was somehow less than being involved in the political process is just wrong. THAT IS being involved. It's a superb example of civil society. Governments, ESPECIALLY conservative ones, are obsessed with their image. They really will bend to compensate for an embarassing PR problem. Being flooded with thousands of pacifiers, while the whole stunt is being covered in the press represents a severe body-blow to the PMs image. This probably won't happen, but the idea is a great example of grass roots civil action.
I didn't say it was less than involved in the political process. BH knows I'm a fan of his political involvement, that's not at issue at all. In my mind, one of the greatest examples of satirical affect was the Doris Day Referendum, and I think that's kind of what BH is going after in some respects. Nothing wrong with it at all. The question is much broader though, and not really directed towards BH at all.

I'm just curious to see how many people are passionate enough about the issues they spend countless workweek hours arguing about in an online forum to actually do something about them. Discussion in of itself is a great democratic tool, espescially in an online format where that discourse can reach a wide audience, but I'm more curious about who takes it a step further.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
I'm just curious to see how many people are passionate enough about the issues they spend countless workweek hours arguing about in an online forum to actually do something about them. Discussion in of itself is a great democratic tool, espescially in an online format where that discourse can reach a wide audience, but I'm more curious about who takes it a step further.
Well about 95% of the passionate discussions here relate to a) the failings of the U.S. government and b) the Israel/Palestine issue so I don't see too much room for us to leap off these (online) pages and actually effect change ;)

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
I feel like the people at the top have little if any clue what the people in the trenches are doing, and are more worried about what the public will think vs. the actual outcomes for htepeople who actually rely on their services.
That's exactly why I'd like to work in the "trenches" as you say, which is where Janiecakes, Mofo and Sigh are at, so that I can know what really goes on there. Like, what are the challenges faced by the service providers; how do their resources relate to the needs they are meant to address and so on. I keep hearing that the state of social service in this city is abysmal and that breaks my heart, because I love Toronto and I want this place to be shining example of a metropolis that gets it right. Sadly, from what I hear, this is far from the mark. Jane actually told me once that if she was a hobo and needed help with drug addiction, she'd rather be anywhere else than here. I was really surprised by that.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Vincent Vega said:
Well about 95% of the passionate discussions here relate to a) the failings of the U.S. government and b) the Israel/Palestine issue so I don't see too much room for us to leap off these (online) pages and actually effect change ;)
There are loads of opportunities to be involved in the change process for those issues. You don't have to be a citizen of the country affected to become involved.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
There are loads of opportunities to be involved in the change process for those issues. You don't have to be a citizen of the country affected to become involved.

Hey wanna help me brainstorm a few, I'm curios what some examples would be.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
once upon a time, a certain now-former city councillor and her now-former city councillor husband approached me about running for toronto city council. they wanted me to take out bas balkisoon in a scarborough riding and were confident i would be successful given my background (as a chinese person) and the fact that they would pump money and volunteers into my campaign. they also guaranteed the support of the city's most influential chinese groups and newspapers; this happened after they had me attend a few meetings/lunches to meet key power-brokers.

it was a tough decision, but ultimately i chose to stay in private practice. as fun as it would have been to enter municipal politrix, i was not prepared to make all the sacrifices, financial and otherwise. it's something i might be interested in after a few more years of being greedy and making as much money as i can.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:
once upon a time, a certain now-former city councillor and her now-former city councillor husband approached me about running for toronto city council. they wanted me to take out bas balkisoon in a scarborough riding and were confident i would be successful given my background (as a chinese person) and the fact that they would pump money and volunteers into my campaign. they also guaranteed the support of the city's most influential chinese groups and newspapers; this happened after they had me attend a few meetings/lunches to meet key power-brokers.

it was a tough decision, but ultimately i chose to stay in private practice. as fun as it would have been to enter municipal politrix, i was not prepared to make all the sacrifices, financial and otherwise. it's something i might be interested in after a few more years of being greedy and making as much money as i can.
Its funny because I was debating posting that the first triber I would consider for public office would be you.

Does it not feel like your race is being focused on to much?