• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ever Been To Hong Kong????

taki

TRIBE Member
Has anyone ever visited this place????? I have an opportunity to have a stop over there for a day or 2 but my question is,what is there to do in hong kong???????????Will I be bored out of my mind??? Not much nite life???? $5 hookers, no thanks.

Stop Bill C-10

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
hong kong has one of the best "night life" scenes in the world.

there are no "$5 hookers" in hong kong. in fact, that is an absolutely ridiculous statement.

not all of asia is the same. (it's a pretty big place.)

partying in hong kong is like partying in tokyo or new york city. there are a million things to do.

taki

TRIBE Member
Well it seems like a few of you have been there. My next question would be what city should I go to (probablly one that is very touristy and not far from the airport) and how much can I expect roughly to spend on a night out? I'll pm those 2 names that were mentioned also.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
nightlife in HK is insane! I was there last december. the week I was there, Tiesto and Sasha played...along with some other UK DJs. It's a 24 hour city like NYC...never sleeps. Party on Hong Kong island, like in Central or Wan Chai...the crowds there are more international. In the Kowloon side, the clubs and bars there are mostly local, gangster clubs...so beware! I went to a club there with a white friend of mine...we met some Dailo there and got all sorts of treats for free! but then my friend couldnt handle his drugs and started hitting on other gang's women...almost started a war! so we got kicked out, lucky we weren't hurt or killed!

$5 hookers...u gotta go to Shenzhen (in China on the border) for those...I was gonna go with my cousins, but somehow plans fell thru. my cousins had Brit passports, and the officials up there don't really like Brits. They actually confiscated my cousin's passport when he went there, and made him pay an insane amount of money just to get it back!

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
the new airport is on an island and is quite a bit of distance from the city. so I suggest u get on the subway and head to Central, in HK island and go from there. Lan Kwai Fong is a good place to start. It is a strip of bars and clubs on a hill where most of the tourists go to get plastered.

taki

TRIBE Member
Hey MrMarcus seems you could be the one to guide me on this trip. 2 days there might be what is necessary. Do you remember the name of the clubs that you went to and how much does it cost for a hotel room?

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Take a trip on the ferry at night. One of the best sky lines you will ever see. I think Rocky posted some pics in another thread. I don't know about the scene today, but 4 years ago it was all about the jello shots.

Aser

TRIBE Member
Ok, the easiest thing to do is go to a 7-11 and buy a copy of Absolute. It has party listings for the entire month so you'll be able to find out what's happening.

A lot of the clubs are on the HK island side. Best advice is to learn how to use the MTR, it's not that confusing.

Also, sneaker shopping in Mong Kok is dope. Along w/ all the street stalls for food and pirated vcd/dvd malls.

Last edited:

Rocky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kennyboy
Take a trip on the ferry at night. One of the best sky lines you will ever see. I think Rocky posted some pics in another thread.

Victoria Harbour was one of the most amazing scenes I have ever seen:

04.jpg

25.jpg

28.jpg

Originally posted by MrMarcus
Lan Kwai Fong is a good place to start. It is a strip of bars and clubs on a hill where most of the tourists go to get plastered.

Yes, Lan Kwai Fong is a good place to go. I suggest hitting a few 7 elevens along the way for some predrinking (as I did), seeing as the average price for a drink is HK$60 (about $12 Canadian).

Some photos taken at Lan Kwai Fong:

40.jpg

39.jpg

44.jpg

Also, the are a tonne of bars on Lockhart Rd. near Wan Chai MTR station. I walked through that area and there were also a LOT of strip clubs.

Of course, you should check out the peak, too.

10.jpg

Here are more of my pics from HK:

http://s91000799.onlinehome.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16

deevah

TRIBE Member
HK rocks!
2 days is not enuff!
as suggseted, Lan Kwai is a good place to start - that where most English-speaking ppl hang out, it was built for the expats.
Most places will make u pay cover but of abour $100-$200 HKD (approx $20-40 Cdn) but that usually covers one or 2 free drinks. Check w/ any of the HMV's (there's a huge one in Causeway Bay if you're on HK island or in Tsim sha Tsui if you're in Kowloon) to find out which parties are happening while you're there, they sell the tix so they hafta know.

If you're going partying, or planning to out late @ nite, ALWAYS carry ID - the police raid the bars @ nite looking for illegal immigrants from the mainland.

there's food and shopping everywhere. If u have the time, check out the Peak, Causeway Bay, Mong Kok (u might find your $5 ho's there late @ nite), Central, Stanley, Tsim Sha Tsui. U can get to most places by the MTR (their subway). I would recommend having afternoon tea @ the Penninsula (in TST). The hotel was salvaged from ruin during japn occupation in WW2 b/c even the japn thought it was too beautiful to destroy. Closest reminder of British occupation in HK (aside from the ex-gov's house). The have usually a live trio/quartet.

Bar hopping in Hk is always an eye-opener. Aside from throwing in canto-mandarin pop remixes, they're generally pretty behind. Hip hop was just starting to get big there the last time i was there (4 yrs ago), and they'll throw in Korean and Japn tunes. Stay away from the Peking Chicken (Mainland prostitutes) - they're EVERYWHERE @ clubs.

If you wanna know more about HK, pm me....tell me what you're looking for and i'll tell u where to find it...

Rocky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deevah

If you're going partying, or planning to out late @ nite, ALWAYS carry ID - the police raid the bars @ nite looking for illegal immigrants from the mainland.

I was wondering what kept happening at one of the clubs I went to. All the music stopped several times, and cops came into the place. It was either for the illegal immigrants or the copious amounts of coke that everyone was doing.

deevah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rocky
I was wondering what kept happening at one of the clubs I went to. All the music stopped several times, and cops came into the place. It was either for the illegal immigrants or the copious amounts of coke that everyone was doing.

getting caught w/ anything there can be pretty rough...they're definitely not as lax as us about pot...and they're hunting down fake e's as well...a lot of kids were dying from a few bad batches a couple years ago so they're really cracking down on the pills

Par- T

TRIBE Member
HK is fantastic, one of my favourite places to visit!

Party/ bar scene in Lan Kwai Fong on HK island is good, try a place called California if you like house.

Food pretty much anywhere is usually good.

You have to go to Victoria Peak for an amazing high view of the city, also the promenade in Tsim Sha Tsui and the Star Ferry for great views too.

Go to Lantau island to see the great Buddha.

Excellent shopping on Nathan road, Causway Bay and Stanley market. The night market on Temple st. is a must.

go to www.discoverhongkong.com for more info.

some pics from my last trip:

16228211.jpg

16070027.jpg

16069928.jpg

16067584.jpg

-T

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by taki
Hey MrMarcus seems you could be the one to guide me on this trip. 2 days there might be what is necessary. Do you remember the name of the clubs that you went to and how much does it cost for a hotel room?

There's Club Ing. a few others I dont remember... California..I think I've been there... ya, check the HMVs for flyers. There's no cover at the bars on Lan Kwai. I usually buy a 4-pack of heineken at the 7-11 and drink up first.

hotels...my parents have a house there, so I couldn't tell ya :(