• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Eurovision 2006- monumental outcome

tatgirl

TRIBE Member
I dunno if any of you follow this European song competition or not (normally I don't, but I read an interesting article about a contestant Sat. morning that really got my interest).

Turns out Finland's representative casued quite the stir. Behold Finland's answer to Gwar:

Lordi

lordi_pic_008.jpg

I kid you not. Lordi made the final 24, despite protests (that they weren't a good representation for Finland) and accusations that they were Satanic.

I watched the live webcast (which was full of horrible pop and sappy songs, some utterly embarrassing) and let me tell you, they rocked it!!

Not only that, their song "Hard Rock Hallelujah" ended up WINNING the competition, earning the highest score of any Eurovision winner ever. Way to go!

To view the entries (here you can watch their music video for the song):
http://www.eurovision.tv/english/vi...p://www.eurovision.tv/english/start_video.htm

and their performance at Eurovision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xWF...ck hallelujah eurovision song contest finland

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
tatgirl said:
I dunno if any of you follow this European song competition or not (normally I don't, but I read an interesting article about a contestant Sat. morning that really got my interest).

Turns out Finland's representative casued quite the stir. Behold Finland's answer to Gwar:

Lordi

lordi_pic_008.jpg

I kid you not. Lordi made the final 24, despite protests (that they weren't a good representation for Finland) and accusations that they were Satanic.

they need more skulls attached to their outfits..

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
lurker pm'd me about lordy today so I checked them out.

like gwar, they forfit awesome for image and therefore don't rock with the mighty dragonflame. They're poppy songs make me think they're in it for good times and money... something you'd listen to while slaming back a fiddy and preparing to go to a bar or beach.

they are not the finnish band to explode with the epic power of unicorns and fire... no, save that jam for Children of Bodom.

needs more explosions of dinosaurs and robots with chainsaw hands to be Chris-approved.

tatgirl

TRIBE Member
Hard Rock Hallelujah!
Hard Rock Hallelujah!

The saints are crippled
On this sinners’ night
Lost are the lambs with no guiding light

The walls come down like thunder
The rocks about to roll
It’s the Arockalypse
Now bare your soul

All we need is lightning
With power and might
Striking down the prophets of false
As the moon is rising
Give us the sign
Now let us rise up in awe

Rock ’n roll angels bring thyn hard rock hallelujah
Demons and angels all in one have arrived
In God’s creation supernatural high

The true believers
Thou shall be saved
Brothers and sisters keep strong in the faith
On the day of Rockoning
It’s who dares, wins
You will see the jokers soon’ll be the new kings

All we need is lightning
With power and might
Striking down the prophets of false
As the moon is rising
Give us the sign
Now let us rise up in awe

Wings on my back
I got horns on my head
My fangs are sharp
And my eyes are red
Not quite an angel
Or the one that fell
Now choose to join us or go straight to Hell

Hard Rock Hallelujah!
Hard Rock Hallelujah!
Hard Rock Hallelujah!
Hard Rock Hallelujah!

Hard Rock Hallelujah!

zoo

TRIBE Member
i posted about this in the nobody cares thread earlier (when the show was actually on)

go team finland!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lurker

TRIBE Member
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19211184-16947,00.html

Eurovision's day of rockening
May 22, 2006
ATHENS: Zombie rock rules. The Eurovision song contest was turned on its head when a Finnish death metal group thrashed the 23 other competitors, including an Australian-fronted German act.

European viewers voted Lordi's song Hard Rock Hallelujah a monster-masked head above the big ballads and catchy pop tunes usually associated with the annual cheesefest. Clearly, Finns ain't what they used to be.

Lordi, whose members sport latex monster masks and spark-spewing instruments, scored 292 points from telephone voters in 38 countries.

Russian heart-throb Dima Bilan finished second with 248 points for the song Never Let You Go. Bosnia was third, with 229 points going to the group Hari Mata Hari singing the melodic Layla.

Australian-fronted German act Texas Lightning came 15th with 36 points for their country music-inspired song No No Never, written and sung by Newcastle-born Jane Comerford.

Lordi, the frontman for the band that takes his name, grew up as an only child in Finnish Lapland with a love of fake blood.

His band combines crunchy guitars, catchy choruses and mock demonic imagery, reminiscent of 1970s American band Kiss -- an acknowledged inspiration of the lead singer's.

"What this has shown is that there are different styles of music than just pop and rock," Lordi told a news conference after the win on Saturday night.

"That should be the goal of Eurovision."

Though Lordi shocked many people in the traditionally Christian Orthodox host country with their masks, which they refuse to take off in public, even the Greeks ended up giving the outrageous group top points.

Finland had never before won Eurovision, and even before coming to Athens the band upset many Finns with its outrageous behaviour, many even asking the President to intervene for fear of a national humiliation. Lordi has been plagued by accusations of satanism but became a phenomenon in Finland with the platinum-selling debut album Get Heavy in 2002.

"This is a victory for rock music ... and also a victory for open-mindedness," Lordi said.

"We are not satanists. We are not devil-worshippers. This is entertainment."

But as he prepared for the "day of rockening", he appeared anxious not to jeopardise votes from some of the more squeamish judges in a contest that has become a byword for schlock.

Peering through layers of satanic make-up, he said: "We don't eat babies for breakfast."

He did not, however, mention lunch or dinner.

Eurovision -- watched by 300 million worldwide -- now appears more popular for the laughs it provides than its musical value.

Although many past Eurovision winners have faded into obscurity, it has helped launched the careers of groups such as Abba, which won in 1974 with Waterloo, and Canada's Celine Dion, who won for Switzerland in 1988.

The Sunday Times, Reuters

I can't believe the headline is "...day of Rockening"

That's such a Simpson's word!!

I wasn't really following it, but I'm happy the Finnish \m/:eek:\m/metal\m/:eek:\m/ freaks won

tatgirl

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
Australian-fronted German act Texas Lightning came 15th with 36 points for their country music-inspired song No No Never, written and sung by Newcastle-born Jane Comerford.

Ya, it was odd seeing this German band donning vintage Country music attire (& playing country, for that matter), but the song was actually well done.

06_germany_2006_article_tex.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders