• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

European Tribers Thread

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I know!

Amy: Sorry I missed your message! Next time, facebook me :)

Threads seems to have died down a bit.

I spent the weekend completely hungover. Stayed out till 8AM on thurs night/fri morning. Spent all of Friday hungover (holiday in Munich). Went out Saturday and stayed out till 8AM again and spent all of Sunday hungover to shit.

Training for Oktoberfest is hard work.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
This thread is definitely dying/dead :)

I forgot all about Facebook... next time for sure!

We did end up in Munich, but not when or how we planned. It rained all day Friday in Austria, and then all night... by Saturday morning all our stuff was wet and we decided to pack up early and go home.

Wouter still wanted to go to BMW Welt... but we had no dry pants! We solved the problem by finding a laundromat and throwing our pants in the dryer, but it totally wasn't ideal.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I found it impossible to find a laundromat in Munich when I first got here. I had to use a friend's launry machine for the first two weeks. needless to say, there was a lot of washing in the bathtub going on.

eww.

I'm thinking about going on a booze detox for a little bit. Been drinking WAY too much lately. I tried the detox today, but I failed miserably lol

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Wow, so this was unexpected.

The Canadian branch offered me a promotion in Germany so if I were to take that promotion, I would have to stay an extra year or two so as to not just take the management title and run -thus leaving the Germans high and dry.

I accepted the promotion back in September and mentally prepared myself to stay an extra couple of years.

My German boss comes up to me today and said the HR in Canada and the HR in Germany had a discussion and nobody knew what was going on. He said that he would love for me to stay, BUT (magic word) keeping an expat worker around for 2 years is really expensive (they pay for my flights back home, rent, transportation, language school, etc., etc.). They normally don't keep expats for more than 2 years. My contract says 3, but I'm not about to argue with him.

So, they said that the budget ultimately rules. IF a client here decides to re-sign a new contract, I can stay. If they don't, I gotta go back to the Canadian branch.

If the client does extend, I can either choose to go home OR I can stay and work as a normal German resident. If I choose to stay, I will not get any of the expat benefits. Meaning, they will stop paying for my rent, flights home, etc., etc. and I will have to pay German tax (50%).

Also, if I stay, my status with the Canadian government changes as well. I will then not only have to pay German tax, but also Canadian tax on my wage since I own property in Edmonton. My status goes all fucked up if I choose to become a resident in a foreign country whilst owning property back "home".

I can't sell the place in Edmonton because the market is shit and I'd lose about 20K if I sold right now. I can't just throw away 20K just cause I want to hang out in Europe and have fun.

So I have to talk to some international accounting people to see my options and what will happen if I stay here as a contract worker.

Not really ready to leave yet. Haven't had enough fun yet.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
So the clients didn't extend their contract.

What can ya do? Oh well, 2.5 years in Europe was a good time. My contract has been extended another 3 months so the clients can smoothly migrate over to the new system so I go back to Edmonton at the end of July.

Such is life. Been a sweet 2 years though.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
:( That sucks dude.

I will be sure to come visit once before July and of course the invitation is open for you to spend some time here before you fly home (hell, if you have any say in your return flight, you could leave from here if you wanted to).

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

SubMissioN

TRIBE Member
OK I'm going to watch From Paris with Love..right now. Does that count?
Well if their are any European ladies around I'll be at Quartier Dix 30..lol

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
hi peeps!

I'm going to be studying at the Uni of Amsterdam for the summer (July-August) and finding it impossible to find an affordable place to stay. The uni sent me some links but they're pretty brutal with months of waiting time or living in a hostel. Ugh.

Craigslist over there is quite shitty and anyone I know that lives in Netherlands is being a total downer on Amsterdam insisting I live somewhere else and commute. I don't really wanna do that.

I'd love to live in the anti-squat housing but it's for Dutch residents only? EU Citizen/Canadian citizen?

Help?

Lurker

TRIBE Member
hi!

Rental units here are usually handled either as cash payment to the apartment owner who is usually subletting illegally (violation of mortage or other tax rules, though lots of people do it) or you need to go via a rental agency.

Finding a cheap place in the centre will be difficult, though you can get lucky for sure. It's tough to sort out online though.

When I moved here 3 years ago, I got a temp sublet for the first while and then was able to research something permanent.

Do you have an EU passport or will you be on a student visa with your Canadian one?

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
I will be going with my Canadian passport, but I am only going for under 3 months so I do not need a student visa, and it is not for official credit (PhD system works diff).

I looked on craigslist but their craigslist is pretty meager. I have a place to stay for several days, but I don't want to overstay my welcome so... and I'll be going there right as the course starts so I don't wanna be spending time looking for a place as I have class all day.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories