• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

European Tribers Thread

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Man, I will have spent 6 weeks of the summer in Edmonton. That's insane. Great though cause I miss my friends :)

I also miss Munich though, but a good portion of our group left -back home for work, school, family, etc., etc.

We need to start recruiting again.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Funny thing. I never really realised how nice Canadians are. Maybe not even nice, but just overall polite.

Way nicer than Germans, that's for sure.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
I've noticed things like that too since being back. Seeing people offer help to older people, getting random compliments from waitresses/cashiers on something I'm wearing...just *niceness* in general.
Sure as fuck didn't experience ANY of that in Zurich. Unless you were "one of them"

Lurker

TRIBE Member
haha yeah, that's one thing that I miss in some ways is the politeness and service. Here in Holland, the service is sub-par on average. When I find a nice restaurant / pub with solid, friendly service and decent eats, it becomes a staple for sure since it's so damn rare.

That, and chicken wings. Fuck, do I ever miss proper southwestern Ontario style chicken wings.

Iggy - do me a favour? Go to Mortys and eat some wings in my honour (or better yet, FedEx me 2 lbs worth, medium please :)) Thanks!!!

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
One thing I always notice when we go back to Canada is how chatty cashiers, etc. can be. It's never like that here.

In other living overseas news, I am officially finished with Dutch lessons! Now I'm busy trying to pick a school to start a social work degree in the fall.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

enjiro

TRIBE Member
My girlfriend was lamenting the fact that she's acquired the Canadian propensity for saying "sorry" for things all the time. :p

She's experiencing the reverse from what we all experienced in Europe!

"People here are too nice.. what's wrong?"

Still no news on the return-to-europe front.. Belgium is out, but France is still in the running for the end of the year.. maybe it'll be a bit later.. hmm..

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Crazy. so I'm probably going to stay in Europe till 2010. if I stay there, I can get into a team lead position in 1 year. If i stayed in Edmonton, I don't think I'd ever get the opportunity to become a TL in a development position in the next 3-4 years.

Figured it'd be a great way to fast track my career and get some wicked experience. Plus, it's Europe! I love it!!

The trip to Edmonton has been amazing so far. Been seadooing, boating several times, bowling, kept my gym regiment up, met up with some great friends, had lots of beverages and just been hanging out and relaxing. Time of my life... well, that's true of the past 4-5 years. Each year just keeps going up and up... either that or changing, but change is good! Nobody wants to be stagnant.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
So flights to/from Munich aren't cheap. I can't believe how ridiculously expensive it is to fly in/out of Munich. Most prices are at least 30-50% more expensive when you fly out of munich to anyqhere else in Europe.

case in point -my next flight (leave to munich next week and return in October)
BASE FARE TAXES TOTAL
1- CAD1432.00 443.53XT CAD1875.53

Crazy.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
the_fornicator said:
So flights to/from Munich aren't cheap. I can't believe how ridiculously expensive it is to fly in/out of Munich. Most prices are at least 30-50% more expensive when you fly out of munich to anyqhere else in Europe.

case in point -my next flight (leave to munich next week and return in October)
BASE FARE TAXES TOTAL
1- CAD1432.00 443.53XT CAD1875.53

Crazy.
Fly into Frankfurt and take the train to Munich. The train would only be an hour or so, which is almost the same as the train from Munich airport into the centre...

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Thankfully I don't pay for the flights lol I was just amazed cause I always hear friends flying for super duper cheap and then this.

4 days left and then I'm back in Munich. Funny thing is that I'll be back in Canada for another month in less than 3 months for a friend's wedding.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Wow. Amazing day yesterday.

Was a ridiculously humid 30 degrees here. Went to a friend's place to have some lunch. Got kind of drunk over there by like 2PM. Afterwards, a friend and I went out to a beach bar which I absolutely love. Just this bar on a bridge over the isar river and it's super cool. Lots of sun so we got a bunch more beers in us in the sweltering heat.

Pretty drunk at this time.

After that, we headed down to the Olympium Stadium to watch some fireworks show. We arrived 4 hours early and still didn't get a spot on the grass, but we did manage to drink ourselves into oblivion.

After the fireworks show (midnight), went back home and a friend calls me out to get shitfaced. I figured fuck it so I went right back out and we stayed out at this wicked club until about 5AM. If you ask for a double vodka redbull there, they give you a glass completely filled with vodka and a can of redbull.

I feel fantastic.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
lol good work, Wilson!

That does sound quite epic. I saw your facebook status of pain and had a little chuckle. Welcome back to Europe and the land of non-crap beers and people who know how to drink :p

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Word. I LOVE the beer here. It doesn't make you retardedly bloated. Seriously could barely drink 3 pints back in Canada. I'm worthless.

6-7 weeks till Oktoberfest baby! Taking a LOT of vacation around that time too so it'll be all Okky and all Wilson... and maybe Paul lol

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
WAY too funny. Walking on the way home from work and I'm in the city center and a block away from my place.

This young couple stops me and asks me someting in German. Didn't understand a word they said so I said (in German), sorry, but my German is very bad. Do you speak English?

The guy is sorta stumped and I look at the girl. For some reason she's like dodging my eye sight! haha I look at her and she runs to the other side of the dude's shoulder. I look at him and he's looking for her. I look at her and she runs back to the other side of his shoulder that she originally was on. This happened one more time!

So fucking weird. They obviously arent't confident with their english but they could have said, "no thank you" or something like that. Even in German, it's pretty universal.

She was waving her arms at me like I was the plague or something! haha

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
Hey Wilson, we might be in Munich for a few hours on Sunday. We're heading (hopefully!) to Austria for a long weekend and Wouter wants to stop at BMW Welt on the way back.