• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

EU 'broke trade rules' on GM food

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
The European Union acted illegally in stopping imports of genetically modified foods, the World Trade Organization has reportedly ruled.

Diplomats have leaked details of the WTO's confidential final verdict, not due for public release until late June.

According to reports, the decision is "substantially" similar to a preliminary verdict issued in February.

The case was instigated by the US, Canada and Argentina who were critical of an EU moratorium on GM food crops.

The trio of nations argued that the ban, in place from 1998 to 2004, was about protectionism rather than science.

Food debate

It is reported that in the 1,000 page ruling, the WTO also criticises Austria, Belgium, France, Germany Italy and Luxembourg for banning several genetically modified organisms (GMOs) already cleared by the European Commission.

However, the verdict is not thought to address the issue of whether GMOs are safe or if they can be compared to naturally occurring products.

Anti-GMO protesters said that this meant the report would have no impact on EU policy .

"It is clear that the US, Canada and Argentina will not be able to use this ruling to bully other countries to accept GMOs," said Eric Gall, political advisor to environmentalist group Greenpeace in Brussels.

Two years ago the moratorium was lifted and a modified strain of sweet corn, grown mainly in the US, was allowed onto the market.

But Washington continued with the WTO case because it wanted to be sure approvals for GMO sales were being decided on scientific rather than political grounds.

Biotech crops, including corn and soybeans that have been genetically modified to resist insects or disease, have been widely grown in the US for years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/4761121.stm


----------------------


Looks like Canada won another one at the WTO.
 

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
God forbid anyone address whether or not people's rights should be considered when money is involved.
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
God forbid anyone address whether or not people's rights should be considered when money is involved.

Peoples rights are one thing, creating a ruling that bans GMO food when your own studies don't back up what your saying is another. You want to prove that GMO foods are dangerous to people you have to prove that they are in fact dangerous. The British tests and German tests didn't show this at all, if anything they called into question only the farming methods. Well nobody is forcing anyone to plant a single seed this is a matter of if the food once harvested can be sent there or not.

Is Canola made with GMO seed unsafe for human consumption in anyway shape or form, NOPE!!! should the europeans be able to say that GMO seeds are not allowed to be planted within there territory, yeah they should. Should they be able to say that a perfectly safe product made with them and unable to in anyway effect there growing system is banned without anything to prove it, NOPE.

But your right Europe is NEVER about the money... :rolleyes:
 

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Remember the 50's when the big message was how cigarettes are good for you?

they help ease stress.

I guess once time passed and they had more time to see long term results they wised up.
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
Remember the 50's when the big message was how cigarettes are good for you?

they help ease stress.

I guess once time passed and they had more time to see results they wised up.

Well how long do you want to wait, I mean we've cracked the 30 year mark. we have over a decade of usage across north america and we have scads of reports from both sides showing no adverse effects on animals or humans. In fact there own tests prove this.

Its not that they are dangerous its that this gives europe the ability to outright ban almost every american food product out there. Back it up by showing adverse health effects and I'm on your side.

Tobacco is harmfull but we allow europeans to buy and ship it here. We agree the alcohol causes a host of damages to people and yet we allow europeans to ship it here, why can they reject a product that they can't prove a single health risk from beyond that of the non GMO variety.

If you can prove GMO canola oil is more dangerous or risky than non-GMO canola oil I'm with you, if both of there health risks are exactly the same then I don't see the big deal.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deafplayer

TRIBE Member
about 'waiting'... a lot of ppl know how our bigger brighter shinier (sp) more perfectly shaped fruits and vegetables have less nutrients than they used to.... of course they're not "bad" for you (well they are but they're not rat poison) but the point is the changes made in how they are produced, were not directed by concerns for nutrients etc they were self-interested, profit-driven.. theres no reason to think it should be better for people, andno reason to assume it wouldnt be allowed to be worse for people because the people making money off it insist so


Ditto there are also reasons involved besides whether eating a GM tomatoe will kill you, as Im sure youre aware

since when is it wrong to refuse to buy something anyway? since "free" trade agreements?



edit:
But Washington continued with the WTO case because it wanted to be sure approvals for GMO sales were being decided on scientific rather than political grounds.
lol :)
 
Last edited:

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
well at least their food is labelled. ALL GMO food should be labelled, especially considering it accounts for 70% of canadians food supply. sure the long-term effects are yet to be discovered, however consumers should still be informed / given the option before making their purchase.
get it together, canada!
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
~Loress~ said:
well at least their food is labelled. ALL GMO food should be labelled, especially considering it accounts for 70% of canadians food supply. sure the long-term effects are yet to be discovered, however consumers should still be informed / given the option before making their purchase.
get it together, canada!

Honestly its pretty low on my list. I'd like to see mercury content for fish though. I mean its proven to actually hurt us. I'd really like to see anti-biotic listing in milk and meat products again these have an actual history of causing troubles. And I'd really like to see a list of pesticides that have been used on fresh fruits and vegatables which again have been proven to have re-actions with people.

For most of your life you have eaten GMO modified foods. Canola (Canada Oil or rape seed) really doesn't occur in nature, actual neither does wheat.

Europe doesn't require pasturization of milk products, there are french cheeses that contain exceptionally high levels of anti-biotics.

Its great to label things but why would GMO come before Mercury content. We have butt loads of proof showing Mercury damage to human beings and especialliy children. For that matter whould farmed salomn have to list the chemicals they use to make the skin pink? (they litterally use a dye in the water).

This isn't a matter of labeled or not labeled. Even labeled american and canadian products were simply banned while awaiting scientific reports that were completed more than 2 years ago and showed no significant risks.
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Predatory fish such as shark, swordfish, fresh and frozen tuna (not canned), have higher levels of mercury and should be consumed only occasionally. The health benefits of eating fish outweigh the risk of exposure to mercury if Health Canada consumption guidelines are followed. If you are an adult, limit your intake of these fish to no more than one meal per week. Pregnant women, women of child-bearing age and young children should be especially careful and limit their intake of these fish to no more than one meal a month.

For information on sport fish caught in local waters, check with your provincial or territorial authority on any advisory that may have been issued for that area.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/environ/merc_e.html

Notice that they don't even list salmon on this one the fish we really eat the most of per capita and where we first started recording mercury levels.

Yup that sushi is a serving and thats your weekly fish right there, beyond that your looking at accumulating mercury one of the very few substances that has been proven to stay in your system and never leave. Proven to cause birth defects, brain damage and even death. One serving of fish if your with child per month!!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
In America one-in-six children born every year have been exposed to mercury levels so high that they are potentially at risk for learning disabilities and motor skill impairment and short-term memory loss. That type of mercury exposure is caused by eating certain kinds of fish, which contain high levels of the toxin from both natural and man-made sources such as emissions from coal-fired power plants. One government analysis shows that 630,000 children each year are exposed to potentially unsafe mercury levels in the womb. If the government and its scientists know about the mercury problem, why do so many people continue to be poisoned?
http://www.pbs.org/now/science/mercuryinfish.html
 

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Honestly its pretty low on my list. I'd like to see mercury content for fish though. I mean its proven to actually hurt us. I'd really like to see anti-biotic listing in milk and meat products again these have an actual history of causing troubles. And I'd really like to see a list of pesticides that have been used on fresh fruits and vegatables which again have been proven to have re-actions with people.

For most of your life you have eaten GMO modified foods. Canola (Canada Oil or rape seed) really doesn't occur in nature, actual neither does wheat.

Europe doesn't require pasturization of milk products, there are french cheeses that contain exceptionally high levels of anti-biotics.

Its great to label things but why would GMO come before Mercury content. We have butt loads of proof showing Mercury damage to human beings and especialliy children. For that matter whould farmed salomn have to list the chemicals they use to make the skin pink? (they litterally use a dye in the water).

This isn't a matter of labeled or not labeled. Even labeled american and canadian products were simply banned while awaiting scientific reports that were completed more than 2 years ago and showed no significant risks.

i was just discussing this very topic yesterday on the bus with a biologist (fisheries) from UBC :)..more specifically, the chemicals used to turn atlantic /farmed salmon pink.
i fully agree with you ditto much.
Metals contaminating our food supply is certainly cause for concern - studies have proven the side effects: brain damage, birth defects etc..

still tho, it will be interesting (and quite scary) to see what develops from messing around with GMO.... a whole new breed or bacteria/organisms for humans to experiment with!
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Canadian scientists say tuna contains mercury and should be labeled. Scientists say fish should be labeled to make consumers aware of how much mercury they may be consuming. Health Canada warns against eating too much fresh tuna, shark, and swordfish, but studies by a Montreal environmental health expert suggests some kinds of canned tuna also contain significant amounts of mercury.

At a meeting of Canada's Collaborative Mercury Research Network, one representative recommended a fish labeling system that uses a color scheme that would indicate mercury concentration. For example, pale (light) tuna could be labeled with a green dot, and white tuna, which has 10 times the mercury, could be labeled with a red dot. A red dot on albacore tuna would indicate consumers should only eat the fish once a month, and that pregnant women should avoid the fish completely. A similar color-coded system was developed for people in the Amazon, where fish is eaten on daily basis.

Manitoba Conservation publishes and distributes a guide for fisherman on how often fish of different sizes can be safely consumed by anglers.

The Associated Press. 2004. November 5.

No country requires this label, not one not europe or the US or Canada for that matter. Europe hasn't even warned its people about this in the slightest (mercury contamination is worse in there waters). So we're banning canola and corn and wheat without any real scientific evidance based on fear, while keeping our lips tight on something thats actually causing real damage.

I'm not against labeling by anymeans. But if I was going to pick something to fight for GMO labels would be somewhere after pesticides and Mercury would be first on the list.
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
~Loress~ said:
i was just discussing this very topic yesterday on the bus with a biologist (fisheries) from UBC :)..more specifically, the chemicals used to turn atlantic /farmed salmon pink.
I still can't get over the fact that farmed atlantic salmon comes from the pacific ocean. They litterally took the fish moved it to the other side of the country (cause it grows faster) where the water was warmer and it was easier to farm. Then they change the colour of the fish to make us think its fresher and better for us...

~Loress~ said:
i fully agree with you ditto much.
Metals contaminating our food supply is certainly cause for concern - studies have proven the side effects: brain damage, birth defects etc..

still tho, it will be interesting (and quite scary) to see what develops from messing around with GMO.... a whole new breed or bacteria/organisms for humans to experiment with!
experimentation is one thing releasing to the food system another. When we cross breed two apples to create a new tree (and possibly new diseases and bacteria as well) we don't need to prove that its safe in anyway. If however we do it in a lab we need to take a decade to prove its safe.

The GMO foods end up being the ones that are the most tested and understood while we do things like moving wild animals from one habitat to another and dye there flesh when we know they are contaminated to begin with and don't bother to do the research and the science.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top