• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Erick Morrillo arrested for cocaine possession

AshG

depends on what motivates u tho doesn't it?

i'd rather spin to 10 good friends having the time of their life than 1000 strangers in some club in east timor.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Me too. Don't get me wrong it's all about the quality.

For those of us griping in this thread it is really time to put up or shut up and throw a fucking night.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
personally I'm happy enjoying the music I play and this year I set a goal for myself, I acheived that goal about halfway through the year (which to me was successful).

I've done the promoter thing with other dj's and it was fun but financially not very rewarding and staining on some of our relationships. The problem is these days it's no longer about the music and it's about fame or something else. The best thing I can compare the new DJ phenomena to is to how everyone wants to be on TV and make lots of money but not put in the time.

For me it's really weird to see whats going down, Dj's are no longer Dj's but producers who use Djing as a promotion tool. Every big dj I see is now a producer first and some of them really shouldn't be dj's in the first place.

it's so strange because it wasn't always that way, you became a Dj, made a name for yourself then produced. now it seems everything is backwards.

Either way, Do what you love and love what you do. Eventually the good things will come.

Taro

TRIBE Member
well, I"m way too lazy to read all the responses that everyone has posted against diablo - so I'll just say that I largely agree.

1) dj's being promoters is a bad thing overall - expected considering that shrinking nature of the scene, but I feel that overall, it takes away from the focus on talent

2) I think the notion that artists should be ready to be unknown and broke is a really new one - and not historically accurate at all - I would grant that in many cases artists did scarifice many htings for their art, but I would not grant that one should expect it -
the role of patronage has been definitive throughout history...

the two points go together - with the loss of patronage (that a promoter effectively provides for a dj) the art ultimately suffers..and thereby the scene because people become less interested as the quality goes down
no one in history would accept a currator's painting in lieu of a rembrandt

Last edited:

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Taro said:
1) dj's being promoters is a bad thing overall - expected considering that shrinking nature of the scene,

the two points go together - with the loss of patronage (that a promoter effectively provides for a dj) the art ultimately suffers..and thereby the scene because people become less interested as the quality goes down
no one in history would accept a currator's painting in lieu of a rembrandt

obviously you're out of the loop

we don't have big mega raves anymore, but there is more going on in Toronto then ever before. I know of AT LEAST 30-40 events happening on any given week. and that's not counting all ages or most of the drum and bass nights... and it's not uncommon to have 5-10 big DJs roll through town on a week. long weekends being the higher end of the scale.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

why not

TRIBE Member
i think i've lost track of what you guys are arguing about.

there's nothing wrong with old people DJing - hell, most of my favourite DJs have been doing it for well over a decade, and in at least one case 4 decades.

the music industry is a hard life, and always has been - so what?

erika

TRIBE Member
AshG said:
as long as you love what you do and are passionate about it, who cares?

i'm just getting into making music now and i can't see NOT being interested in music by such and such an age. that just seems like an artificial barrier erected by whatever society has to say about what constitutes a 'sensible' thing to do.

fuck it, you live once.
Amen :)

tobywan

TRIBE Member
AshG said:
i'd rather spin to 10 good friends having the time of their life than 1000 strangers in some club in east timor.
Well put, Mike...don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing music for people night and night out on the cruise ship. But in no way does it compare playing at an intimate party with some of your closest friends, not even close.

miller

TRIBE Member
Spinsah said:
You have to be going out a lot and networking with the right people in addition to keeping up with your sounds. If you have lost the stomach for promotion than you're stuck playing for yourself. And after playing busy dancefloors consistently, going back into the bedroom is tough.
True that. Poli-tricks.

miller

TRIBE Member
AshG said:
depends on what motivates u tho doesn't it?

I'd way rather have the experience of playing to 1000 strangers in East Timor ;)

I hear your point, just sayin'!

AshG

it really isn't all that.

i've played in australia to crowds of thousands and it means zero compared to the personal meaning behind the music i've played to dozens of friends.

Maui

TRIBE Member
geminigirl said:
I so agree.

Time to grow up.
Have fun growing up, but please don't tell me what to do because someone told you that was what you are "supposed" to do.

Wave next time you see the 50 year old guy out dancing and having fun, that'll be me. ;)

vinder

TRIBE Member
some of the hypocrisy in this thread is amazing. like telling people to grow up when you were still partying well into your thirties. or how you're so over partying and anyone who still does it is a loser.

it's fine to admit that a chapter in your life has passed, but don't rip on people who still go out, enjoy it, and happen to use it as a vehicle to financial success just because you're a washed up raver who's ashamed of what their weekends were like when they were in their teens and 20s.

Taro

TRIBE Member
ev said:
obviously you're out of the loop

we don't have big mega raves anymore, but there is more going on in Toronto then ever before. I know of AT LEAST 30-40 events happening on any given week. and that's not counting all ages or most of the drum and bass nights... and it's not uncommon to have 5-10 big DJs roll through town on a week. long weekends being the higher end of the scale.
yeah I'm really out of hte loop (by several years at least now - but that's okay) - although I am playing one of those all ages raves NYE - :eek:

why not

TRIBE Member
vinder said:
some of the hypocrisy in this thread is amazing. like telling people to grow up when you were still partying well into your thirties. or how you're so over partying and anyone who still does it is a loser.

it's fine to admit that a chapter in your life has passed, but don't rip on people who still go out, enjoy it, and happen to use it as a vehicle to financial success just because you're a washed up raver who's ashamed of what their weekends were like when they were in their teens and 20s.
exactly.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
diablo said:
.... and the "1200s for sale" Tribe thread are also known archetypes suggests that no one works at something forever unless they get something out of it, no matter how passionate about it they once were.
I actually assumed that all the "1200's for sale" threads were more about the technology changing than people packing it in.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders