• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Erick Morillo @ The Guvernment

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Out of all the times i have seen him play in toronto (last night was going on 6)

he played the best set i've ever heard him spin.. anywhere

someone who was chatting with my crew noted that with regards to track selection, it was better knit then when he saw him @ Pacha this past summer :eek:

Nevermind the amazing people i met
the amazing people i got to jam with

It's always the combo that makes Morillo shows great

right music, right people, right vibe, right good times

i'm gonna sleep well tonight

holy hell

g'night :)

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

TRO

TRIBE Member
greg....I so hate you right now I just came on here to check to see if anyone wrote about it before I go to bed..and THIS IS WHAT I GET

arrrgggggg!!!!:(:(:(

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
to make a long story short
_________

If Erick Morillo plays System, I will show up early to avoid the lineups, and I don't care how crowded it is, the dancefloor will become a mosh pit of me jumpin' and funkin'.
_________

He only played cds!!! On Pioneer cdjs!! He used them well to do loops, his intro was wicked, sampled from the infamous "and Jack had a groove..." "Let there be house, house, house, house, house, house, house," then a hard kick layered on top "bang! bang! bang!"

I knew Erick was gonna rock the place, but man, he smashed the dancefloor. The only thing I could say he could have lessened was the breakdowns, like they don't have to be a whole song in length.

I'm not a big track nerd and don't follow his/Subliminal releases (or even the stuff I buy if you know me), but he did play some more recognizable more 'mainstream' house tracks with his other stuff.

He played from 1-4, too bad he didn't play longer.

I checked out Focus in Charlies briefly, it's definitely a solid little breaks party, almost hidden away like it's not even beside the Guv. Some peeps from Sudbury didn't even know there was a breaks room, so I showed them.

This was my first time going to just the Guv. There's nothing innovative or underground about this night (or the people), but it's like going to see Lord of the Rings, good special effects and a solid production.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
He kicked my ass tonight... so many classics...

hey to all the nice people i met... and i couldn't possibly name all of you... but its always fun to meet new people...

that is all...

EVERYBODY... BE SOMEBODY!

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
one more thing Visuals

It looked cool when the Erick turned around and touched the projection screen behind him when it was projecting an image of him from the guy beside him with the camera.

So it looked like he was touching a larger image of himself that moved in unison.

Were those visuals done by www.freethoughtproject.com ??

p13r0

TRIBE Member
musak weekend

preface:
it all started with richie yesterday at system. very little sleep...kinda wondered if i should even go to morillo at all....

So i went... and loved it.

Today i also found out that one of the first tracks morillo produced is a spanish reggae song by EL General that i used to listen to back in the day... that made me appreciate his roots a lot better, and gave me the extra boost to take on the night.

venue..it's the guvernment... but this is probably the first time i saw no crazy bouncer fights at the guv.
bottom line is there was enough space to dance and the sound was great... who could ask for anything more.

oliver...every time i hear this guy he sounds a bit differrent, he did a great job of warming up and closing down the night. although i'm not sure how kosher is to play tracks of the new morillo cd when it was his cd release party.

morillo...from the start with that fun fun track to the very end an amazing set. old gems like that "everybody be somebody" made it very sweet and the insane brazilian samba drums in the first few tracks totally did it for me.

vibe/people... met some really cool people like Joe and Yvonne, and Albert who hooked our friends up with passes. Also Paul, Pia, Cri...and more, but i forgot some names by now.
I was surprised at the number of people i saw there that were at richie the night before.

too much writing... too much rambling... now i got to sleep.

great weekend of wonderful music... cheers...Piero.

Dirtymatt

TRIBE Member
I would like to say that I loved every minute of his set- it was awesome and he played some great tunes- Twisted by Camel Riders.

Meet some cool people there to which was safe- thanks to Wayne for System passes and to Morgan Star for saying he would hook me up with some nights at System.

The crowd was good (asian crack fest as predicted in the roll call) and a fair bit of white snow floating around too, which I hadnt noticed before.

All in all a great time was had, Cheers

matt

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Morillo's tracks were solid, I really liked them! Its just too bad I found the Guv packed and left repeating the words "Sweaty Sketch Box" over and over in my head. I spent most of my time in Charlies where Red Turtle, Saddler and D-monic played the best I've ever heard them at FOCUS....good on you all.

Good night, I just needed a little more room to groove to Morillo is all.

p.s. dear guv security, thank you for not cupping my balls to hard this time.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lil'Timmy

p.s. dear guv security, thank you for not cupping my balls to hard this time.

I got my first ever hand in the ass crack (well at least attempted through my jeans)... wasn't all the pleasant for me... didn't think it would be all that pleasant for sercurity but to each his own i guess...

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
I had a fun time but by 3:30 I was actually kind of getting bored with Morillo... tried to get into Charlie's for breaks but was told they were shutting that section down :( Came back out and was happy to have Morrillo start playing some older tracks... generally speaking a good vie and lots of nice people... some random flailing people with poor dancefloor etiquite, but hey, you get that everywhere...

KiX

TRIBE Member
wow, hectic night.... i'm just waking up now. so fun tho! i stayed in charlies pretty much the whole time.... awesome turn out, no doubt cuz the music was off the hook. kev, for the 7th time, your set was brilliant! charlies was shut down pretty early... do they usually do that?

but yeah, had a really really good night. :)
ps. sick focus posters... i want one!

=tina=

discodancer_j

TRIBE Member
good party
morillo did some amazing things
especially with "get up, stand up"

note:not only is Erick a dj but he is a singer and a dancer too...LOL

great crew
great sweaty times

janICE:>

tetley

TRIBE Member
Speaking as someone that had full intentions of sitting this party out... I'm happy that I let myself be talked into this one. With the little dancing crew that formed in the middle of the floor... I can say with certainty that I have never danced like that at the Guv ever before. With ample space around us... there was no reason to keep the entire group from smiles. Erick spun a set second to none... and he played the crowd perfectly. First to last track... with all the nectar in between... wow is all I can say. There is something to be said about the DJ that is having just as much fun as the people on the floor.

Surprisingly Oliver followed suit, and actually kept my feet moving until the lights came on. That was a nice surprise.

Thanks to all the people that made it out... especially the unexpected surprises. I couldn't imagine a better night - absolutely perfect. Thanks for dragging me out... and producing a night I'll never forget. Go Dopey Smurf - don't stop!:D

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Prickly Pete
EVERYBODY... BE SOMEBODY!
Yeah, and work it to the bone I couldn't believe that shit... Guy was off the hook for most of the night, but there was a little bit of time where I thought to myself... why am I dancing to this? Then he'd put on something better and I'd think: ah, yes... that's why.

Just one additional comment though: What the fuck was up with the train horn / air horn shit? And the whistles? I'm sure he was up there thinking... "Oh yeah, that's what this track needed... a whistle..." Cheerist... the first time that train horn went off I nearly peed my pants... and the guys running around with the fucking airhorns just about blew out my eardrums when they decided it was appropriate to let that off about 10" from my head. Thanks, guy. I appreciate not being able to hear the music, really, I do.

mute79

TRIBE Member
^^ Oh relax. The guys with airhorns are guv legends. They've had that huge TUNE sign for years! If you looked at it closely you'd see it was signed by virtually every big dj imaginable.

Anyways, the party was great. Music was top notch, and the vibe was amazing.

db

TRIBE Member
Legends or not they were bloody annoying...amazing how people can say what a great crowd it was when about 80% of the time I was forced to stop dancing as someone either tromped their way through me or decided standing *right* in front of me would be a good idea.

Of course people need to get around but common courtesy dictates you at least smile and apologize for turning my feet into pancakes...or at least dance when you stop in the middle of a group busting it up.

Morillo was doing a great job -- totally working the crowd and loving it up! I'm glad I decided to go, but once again left the Guv with a general distate for place.

db

TRIBE Member
Hold the press! I forgot to mention that one person *most definitely* made my night (despite my previous gripes). A big shout out to Alfred for randomly hooking us up with VIP passes. I can't remember the last time I've met someone as gueniely nice -- and living proof that age is simply a state of mind. :)

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
133_3356

132_3276.jpg

url]
WHAT??? YOU NO LIKE TUNE! ? :p

Last edited:

Cri

TRIBE Member
I had a fantastic time at this party. I completly meant to spend more time in the main room, but the dj's in Charlies were rocking it all night long. Red Turtle and D-Monic played sick sets..I just couldn't bring myself to leave for too long.

So i am sad to say I didn't see more than 10 minutes of Morillo at any time :( :( with regret..

I do this every time..Charlies is just too much fun.

Big thanx to the crew who made the night so awesome :)

Cri

TRIBE Member
oh ya...who has some pics? :)

everyone's gettin so lazy with picture posting lately :D (myself incl.;))